Is It Safe to Sleep in Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jon Mac, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Jon Mac

Jon Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/2015
      Most think it's good to avoid silence if you have T. Does the same apply to when you are asleep? Is the auditory system still as sensitive?

Apologies for the rather gothic sounding title, I may have been using the wrong terms, but could not find an answer, thanks in advance if you are able to give one.

Jonny

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you can sleep in silence ok thats fine and carry on....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      My t tends to get louder when I stay in total silence. It's not only that I hear it more because it's silent around - it does get louder and louder whereas some noise can put it down for a while, so I simply never sleep in silent cause it would be impossible. My t is far too intrusive. I play a cd. Sometimes the thingy stops cause I overuse it and I will always wake up sooner or later at night when it does. It's not possible for me to use the music only to fall asleep and set it to turn off after an hour or two - I need the exterior sound all night long. I admit I have been afraid of silence from the begging, the brain being hungry for sound and amplifying T in silence in many cases. If you're lucky enough not to have it too intrusive, sleep well in silence.

5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      As Gosia suggested, I believe it depends on the individual with T. I sleep in silence. But, I can fall asleep standing up even if my T is moderate that day. So I believe it depends on the magnitude of your T and/or if you fall asleep easily or not. Perhaps try either way and see which works best.