Is It Safe to Swim with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by K.Sarah, Dec 5, 2016.

1. K.Sarah

K.Sarah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure from edm music festival
      Hi, I have tinnitus for like one month and a half. It's caused by loud noise exposure. I'm going to the beach and is it safe to swim? I'm worried that it might get worse if I swim. My doctor said there is no damage to the both of my ears. I think I should wear ear plugs when I swim. Any thoughts?

2. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would say it's safe. I swim every other day, and I'm 6 weeks since onset (also noise induced). Use a couple of earplugs for swimming (silicon) if you're afraid of getting water in your ears.

Have fun at the beach! :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Of course it's safe, I'm pretty sure no one ever lost hair cells because of water :p
      Have fun

• Like Like x 1
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      safe...I swim everyday..or abouts.
      Of course swimming hasn't cured my tinnitus. Maybe next week.;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      I swim and snorkel frequently...inducing diving down deep. No problems. In fact, it is usually (although not always) hard to hear my tinnitus while swimming.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      K.Sarah

K.Sarah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for your replies guys @Capricornus @Julien87 @stophiss @Rings-a-Bell :) I got back from the beach today. At first, I used ear plugs but it didn't help very much so I braced myself and swam without the ear plugs. And also because of your replies I felt more relieved and eased at swimming. It went well and I guess I should swim more ;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I never wear ear plugs Sarah and I swim everyday...or just about everyday. I also still teach swimming a bit as I was a competitive swimmer when young. Of course when I contracted tinnitus I thought there maybe some linkage and my doctor assured me absolutely not. My ears looked fine when he looked inside. My tinnitus is between the ears unfortunately.:)

So yes, I suggest you swim often and swimming is great relief as well as the sound of moving through the water is a great masking agent.

Be well and swim often.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      K.Sarah

K.Sarah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you :) Swimming really relaxes me everytime and I should swim more and often 'cause it can reduce stress and depression that I got from tinnitus. I was worried at first as I heard that when I have the ringing, I cannot dive or snorkel into the water. I think it's really okay to swim