Is It Worth Getting an MRI?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Priya997, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After coming off a flight
      Would it be worth getting an MRI? What would the MRI show? I have had tinnitus for 6 months after coming off a flight. It's severe. No hearing loss and pressure test normal.

Never had tinnitus prior.

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Priya,

Welcome to the site!

Ideally, an MRI will show absolutely nothing! :)

Also, from personal experience, MRI machines are loud so if you do opt to go, bring some hearing protection with you.

Courtesy of "http://www.ajnr.org/content/31/2/211.full":

Many patients will have no radiologic abnormalities than can explain their tinnitus. On the other hand, many radiologic findings associated with tinnitus are also seen frequently in asymptomatic individuals. The correlation of imaging findings with clinical symptoms remains a critical step before suggesting that a particular radiologic finding may be responsible for a patient's tinnitus. A compartment-based approach in the imaging evaluation helps to analyze systematically the various imaging modalities, which will prevent missing any important finding that may be a potential cause for tinnitus.

Good luck! :)

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      An MRI is generally done to rule out an acoustic neuroma. If you don't know the cause for your T, it seems it would be a valuable test to run, but since you've correlated it with your coming off a flight, it doesn't seem likely.

I actually did it when I didn't know the cause for my Tinnitus, if just to rule it out and feel better.

If it started after a flight, the cause could be barotrauma.

Another test you can run is a CT scan. It'll show bone structure.

Your doctor should guide you in your debugging journey. S/he may need some help, so be ready with http://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart

4. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      A MRI will show everything on small details; the hearing bones and blood vessels if a contrast fluid is used. It also might show a type of tumor, but I dont't know the english term for it. ( Vestibular schwannoma?)
      Most of the times a MRI will not show the cause of the T, it just rules out some.