Is Sertraline (Zoloft) Induced Tinnitus Reversible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by juliob, Oct 22, 2018.

1. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Hey all,

I am at my 18th day at 100 mg of Zoloft, after staying 5 weeks on 50 mg of it.

I have the impression that my tinnitus is louder now, but I am not sure because I can't compare. But I feel depressed with my current perception. All the horror stories also makes me scared.

The problem is: I really need OCD meds and now I am paranoid on taking any antidepressant.

So tough to know if I should insist a little longer on the med or abandon antidepressants for life. The problem with the second option is my obsession skyrocketing consuming tons of time and energy, not to say that recovery to the baseline tinnitus levels is not sure. Maybe it's better to stick to the med now that the damage is done.

So, what would give me some hope or an idea of a plan is to know if my tinnitus will go to the base level after stopping the med.

Can Zoloft users or ex-users share experiences about reducing the volume after ceasing to take the medication?

2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Have you talked to your doctor about Mirtazapine? It is supposedly to be "safe" for tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He mentioned Luvox as an alternative, but never mentioned Mirtazapine. Maybe because I don't have sleep problems and Mirtazapine is an unusual option for OCD. Also, I saw anecdotal reports of tinnitus onset or increasing using this medicine.

It is listed here as ototoxic too:

http://www.ata.org/sites/default/files/Drugs Associated with Tinnitus 2013_Updated2017.pdf

I am with a high level of paranoia regarding any AD to be honest: any brute force-y change on the brain blocking receptors of any neurotransmitter, daily, for a long time doesn't sound healthy. I read an article mentioning the association between tinnitus and serotonin which makes me very biased to abandon all these pills.

Minutes ago, I was reading a lot of stories on Reddit about overcoming OCD without meds, trying to inspire myself, helping with coming to a decision. I hope I have a smooth/easy taper and withdrawal if I decide to quit.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

I am sorry you suffer with OCD.

I developed OCD around the time of my onset of tinnitus. I have become obsessed with checking EVERYTHING from the house, to my car, to my work practices.

My anxiety has been escalating over the years with various life stressors, so I get what a monster this thing is.

Like you, I don't want to take ADs either. I have read the 'horror Zoloft stories' too. I can't comment on whether I think your tinnitus will return to baseline, as it would only be a guess.

Here are some alternatives to mainstream:

Inositol and high dose fish oil and James Calner's YouTube videos on OCD and anxiety.

(These videos in particular have been very helpful to me. My psych has started recommending them to her clients).

I hope this helps.

5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      A once only higher dosage than my usual Sertraline led to much louder tinnitus. The tinnitus has remained the same level even though the dosage has lowered again.

Sertraline is Zoloft in the UK.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      According to this report, yes, Sertraline (Zoloft) induced tinnitus is reversible: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crips/2016/1790692/

"A 50-year-old woman developed bilateral tinnitus after several weeks of being treated with sertraline 50 mg. She had been on a long-standing daily dose of aspirin 325 mg which had been discontinued shortly before starting sertraline. Medical work-up was negative for her symptom. Shortly after discontinuation of the medication, her tinnitus subsided completely."

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I raised my Zoloft dose 6 weeks ago from 100 mg to 150 mg because my obsessive thoughts became unbearable with my benzo taper. I do think it had a therapeutic effect on my anxiety but I am afraid that it might be causing this new noise pattern.

I already had a high pitch tinnitus and now I am having this new noise that seems like a mosquito constantly flying in my bedroom and it's a very low noise volumewise but still enough to bug me to mask it in the silence of my bedroom (I was habituated with the other pattern). It started 2 weeks ago I think.

Now I don't know what to do: has the damage already been done and should I keep the Zoloft at 150 mg? Should I decrease to 100 mg? But also, no guarantee that the noise will disappear and I am so afraid to change meds or dosages now with all the benzo situation already going. What a dilemma.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. T-talker

T-talker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoic
      Honestly I believe any of us with ototoxic issues play with fire when we keep taking the drugs creating the issue. Bit by bit you're eating away at your hearing as far as I can tell from the reading I've done. Those hair cells can only take so much.

Where that's lead me is a life of natural remedies WHEN POSSIBLE. Exercise, therapy, cannabis with very low THC (indica, oil form is not bad), work you enjoy, cutting out the stressful elements in your life, great diet, focus on sleep.

You have to really look at your life from a wellness perspective, and carve out the stuff that isn't good for you.

Of course, that won't tackle everything. One day I may need cancer meds (god forbid), and I know when that day comes i'll have a big choice. But till then, my ears come first because I can fix my body other ways. That's just me.