Is the Cause of Your Tinnitus UNRELATED to Hearing Loss or Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrea Rings, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Andrea Rings

Andrea Rings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 3, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was recently diagnosed with Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence, and I am interested in connecting with tinnitus patients whose cause is identified to be Meniere's, Lyme, diabetes, TMJ disorder, ototoxic medications (like chemotherapy), anxiety, inner ear disorders, and head injuries.

If you are aware of the etiology of your tinnitus and you're certain that it is unrelated to hearing loss or acoustic trauma, please briefly share your story.

2. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I am certain that mine is NOT related to noise trauma. I never listen to music, not even in the car. I love(d) my peace and quiet, and there were no unexpected loud noises near me prior to tinnitus.

In August I lifted a fairly light weight at the gym incorrectly. All the force in lifting went to my head and I was struck with an instant debilitating headache. No history of headaches before that. Long story short, but after seeing a neuro and getting on some meds, the headaches went. I went back to the gym November, but the headaches returned late November. I had daily debilitating atypical migraines. I doctor shopped, and presented to emergency EIGHT times, but I was always turned away because my imaging was normal, and told to take Ibuprofin. (Like I wasn't doing that already). Tinnitus started the week after the late November onset of headaches. Tinnitus went away though, and came back on the 23rd December. Went away a second time, but I have had it 24/7 since the 28th December 2020. The morning it returned for good was after a debilitating headache the night before.

I'd say my tinnitus is neurological damage from the headaches, or the accumulation of Ibuprofen I was taking to control the headaches on top of 2 blood pressure meds.

My hearing tests are normal for my age (42). My tinnitus is in both ears, but it is mainly in my head (which I find far far worse) and I can feel it as well which is unnerving. My head sizzles and vibrates.

3. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Mine is due to damage to the inner ear caused by a virus and possibly made worse by medication.

4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Have they ruled out perilymph fistula in your case?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Mine is from hearing loss due to high dose Macrolide antibiotics.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Andrea Rings,
      I have Bilateral Meniere's Disease and have had it now for many years, well over 25.

Love,
      Glynis

7. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      I am 99.9% sure that mine was not caused by hearing loss or acoustic trauma. I just woke up with it one day 3 years ago and it hasn't stopped since. The only possible causes I can think of are benzodiazepines (lorazepam), which I took for several months during a very bad period in my life or anxiety/stress (which was also extremely high during that time).

8. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, my tinnitus was caused by the overuse of Pepto Bismol and possibly using it in combination with Lidocaine cream. I do get spikes due to being exposed to loud sounds, but it has always returned to baseline. The ototoxic damage includes a partial balance problem on my left side.

9. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Never heard of it. I just had a quick read and it seems to fit. At one point they tested me for a cerebral spinal fluid leak but they ruled it out after a lumbar puncture.

Something is definitely wrong with me. I have had daily headaches since late November, so 4 months now. Sometimes it is not even really a headache but a constant change of pressure in my brain and forehead. My ears feel heavy and sometimes my brain feels like it is sinking.

Doctors are completely done with me. They aren't interested in helping me anymore so I suffer alone. I have had a lot of tests e.g. CT, MRI, MRA, lumbar puncture, carotid artery ultrasound and more. All clean.