Is There Any NHS Funded Tinnitus Research Going On?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ken Moss, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Ken Moss
      Bitchy

Ken Moss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know but it started after massage on neck & shoulders
      One in ten people suffer from tinnitus.

Is there any NHS funded research?

I have suffered for 4 years and my tinnitus is getting worse. My GP just shrugs and looks bewildered.

We need to pressure the Government to find research into this debilitating condition. So how do we start a revolution?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I think the answer to your question is No - though happy to be corrected if anyone knows of anything. One of the big challenges of tinnitus research is trying to get money spent on the right sort of research. For example internationally there have been around two hundred clinical studies done on the use of CBT for tinnitus (source British Tinnitus Association) - all with pretty much the same findings (that it helps some people a little bit but not very much).

That's a huge amount of time and money wasted in repetition of research. In contrast comparatively little recent research has been done on medication for tinnitus. So it's not just research which is needed - it's the right type of research.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the tinnitus community is cucked so hard

4. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, that's interesting. I know some people like to argue that the psychology focused doctors take control of the research for some conditions. I think with tinnitus it is very clear that with it being rooted in the brain there is a large psychological element both in its maintenance – for some people – and in how people cope with it. From the limited amount I have read it sounds like there is a dearth of biological research into the actual mechanism of tinnitus generation in the brain, and against that kind of background I suppose medication trials will often fail and I wonder if that has led to the focus on CBT.

5. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I think a good part of the answer is that CBT trials of tinnitus patients are relatively easy to organise - quite a lot of it is box ticking. In contrast developing a new drug for tinnitus is a lot more challenging. I don't argue that all the past CBT trials for tinnitus have been a complete waste of time. But there comes a point when we say - 200 CBT clinical trials for tinnitus. Actually we don't want scarce tinnitus funds being spent on any more - what we need is good quality biomedical research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Agree. Do you do any campaigning around this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Like most of us I'm sure I'd like to do more. I'm particularly focused on challenging some of the information about tinnitus on some of the main information websites in the UK - particularly anything which I believe downgrades or minimises the impact of tinnitus on sufferers' lives.

I've been able to get information about tinnitus on the main NHS website changed in the past. At the moment I am challenging information on the BTA website which suggests that for the great majority of tinnitus sufferers the condition has no impact at all on their lives. I don't think claims such as this are at all helpful for our cause and I doubt how correct they are. The BTA are investigating at the moment so hopefully this may be something which changes in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    8. David

David Member Benefactor BTA

Yes, the NHS does fund tinnitus research. It does this via the National Institute for Health Research network. It funds basic sience research via the Medical Research Centres and translational research via biomedical research centres.

The largest one looking at tinnitus is Nottingham; http://www.hearing.nihr.ac.uk/
      Centres in hearing Manchester https://www.manchesterbrc.nihr.ac.uk/our-research/hearing-health/
      And UCL, London; https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ear/evident
      also have overlap with tinnitus research

• Like Like x 1
    9. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      @David @Steve

How does one go about donating to show support for Dr. Will Sedley's research?

Thanks, TC