Is This Habituation (I Don't Care About the Noise)

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Aug 26, 2017.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      I have like 6 tones in my ears now. New tones too lol. I eat ototoxic medications and they may have contributed to new tones. Last night I spent some time to investigate on where some high pitched ringing comes (I thought it was some electronic machine).

The noise didn't bother me but I was curious about where it may have come. I came to the conclusion it was just my ears... The noise didn't bother me.

Any tinnitus noise doesn't bother me anymore. I don't care. It's just noise, I can listen to it all the time but it doesn't make me anxious at all. I think of the tinnitus noise as if I'm listening to refrigerator (weird because I used to be so anxiety ridden if I was in the same room with the refrigerator) or computer whine or something.

There is no silence nowhere but I don't care. I can hear the noises most when I lay in silence to fall asleep and when I wake up. But I don't just give a dang. It feels like in my brain/mindspace I have moved away from the place where the tinnitus comes from. I'm like 15 meters away from the amplifier.

I don't have hyperacusis/pain anymore either. I haven't wore earplugs in a long time. 2 days ago I showered in the bathroom when the washing machine was on the loudest phase of the program... loud noise but I had no pain or anxiety or anything...I just didn't care.

I'm gonna regret this post when I start getting anxious about tinnitus again. Going to think "what was I thinking when I made that post on Tinnitus Talk". But that day is not today lol.

Now I'm going to write some self-help books and make some websites about "How to cure tinnitus? For a measly $30 you can buy this book and start living your life again". Just kidding

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Is it loud?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know what to say

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @3ri0w , if it does not bother you, I think you have achieved habituation! Other than the symptoms dissipating completely that is the next best thing. Congratulations. I am happy for you (and jealous).

If you do get anxious, remember the day you wrote your post, a day when it did not bother you. As one who also suffers from anxiety, I know this is easier said than done, but anxiety does strike, remember the calm moments you are experiencing now. Remind yourself that you can ignore the ringing, and that you are able to get on with your life. You have managed to achieve something that some of us only dream of.

You did it!

Remember that, because if you start to worry, you need to know that you can do it again, and keep doing it. If you do falter, don't worry. The best musicians occasionally play the wrong note, the best athletes occasionally miss a shot; and they just shake it off and keep doing what they do.

Again, congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story, it will server as inspiration to those who are afraid that there is no hope.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I fear this is just the medications talking and soon I'll be in bigger problems when the tolerance raises etc etc...and the tinnitus and anxiety comes back with vengeance lol.....

Thanks for the kind words mate :p Appreciate it!!! Was in a really bad place for a long time and now things are looking (and sounding lol) good

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Disregard this thread lol...the ringings are bothering me again...was nice while the relief lasted lol

• Like Like x 1
    7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm sorry you're having a bad time. Hope it genuinely improves.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope the same for you :p It a rollercoaster...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lol why did I write anything...got jaw/TMJ pain now and all (even normal) sounds hurt my left ear lol

10. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Did the audiology test you make, make your T worse?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you mean? :D I was real scared of the hearing test I had in January but it was not bad at all!!! I was SOOO relieved. I feared it for months before it!!!! was nice

• Like Like x 1
    12. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      I will have a hearing test tomorrow. :) (You hear a noise press the button.) I am scared because I will have a LDL-test too (When noise gets too loud I press button.) I am really scared I wouldn't like to do that I will ask them if I could skip it. :(

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The "press the button" test was OK. The beeps were not loud.. but the audiologist talked to me through the headphones and his voice was real loud, caught me offguard and I got scared a bit.. talk to him about the amplified voice being maybe too loud? Since they talk to elders and old people when they are doing the hearing test and they gotta hear what the audiologist says..

Ye man ofcourse you can skip it!! It ain't like you are getting some treatment/medication "only if you do the test"! Go with your gut man, it telling you what to do! And now it telling you to skip the test :p Ain't no harm done if you skip it my man :) Don't give in if they try to be nice and somehow push you to do the test! Be strong my man!!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ye I gotta say I think I am habituated lol (again)

15. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      Does anyone know if your tinnitus is really fading or it's just habituation?

I go for a night time walk to stress off, I listen to the trees bristle in the wind, the cars passing by, and the church bells ringing. Everything used to sound muffled. I've been able to hear clearly again and my T isn't causing me to panic like it used to. It is still there, hizzing 24/7. I turn on the television when I'm home, adjusting the volume and comparing what I perceived few weeks ago. When I do I, I don't feel its has lowered alot. Maybe alittle at best.

Seriously tho, I got no clue if it really is fading away or I'm not being bothered by it.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Reduced but new tones introduced to me too lol :p I just don't care

Ye I've got this lush white noise hiss T too lol..I like it because it masks other noises in my head :p Built-in white noise generator

Dang gotta go to night walk soon too :p How long did you have muffled hearing? Ahhh I see your T was caused by medications! Nice to hear you are not panic-ridden either :p Have a good day my man

17. smel

smel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1994
      6 noises? Fascinating! Really, I'm not kidding. I never heard of someone having 6 noises, but I love the fact that you don't care about them. You sound like me, although I only hear 2 sounds. We both are at the point where we realize the sounds are there but we have the "Meh, I have other things to focus on" attitude. It took a long time for me to get to this point but it really does make all the difference. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you're able to cope even though you have good and bad days. I think that's the case with most people who have T.

A built-in white noise generator.... lol. I love it! What a great way to look at this and it's so very true.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wwow youv've had T since 1994!!!! When did you get (t)here? :p

I fear this will pass when I'll taper off the medications--

Do you have white noise ringing too lol :) Have a good day mate

19. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you compare the sound to pleasant childhood memories? Sometimes it sounds like grasshoppers and I think back to the warm summer nights, and it calms me down.

Sounds were muffled for around 10 days mostly in the right ear.

20. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That is not as uncommon as you may think. I have at least three distinct tones (that I have been able to identify), static, and another tone that accompanies the static that is a little too quiet for me to zero in on the exact pitch, so that is five constantly for me. I also have a visiting tone that appears every so often and then leaves, again I have not been able to identify that pitch as I am not normally near a computer when it happens).

As many of us have said, everyone experiences tinnitus differently. If you google "tinnitus sounds" you will be surprised with the sounds that some people can hear with tinnitus.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think of the white noise hiss sound as if I'm listening to a soda pop bottle lol. Like it is tickling my ear and making me happy lol

22. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's really positive. 99% of people probably dont feel it to be that way, in rare cases some people hear music :)

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't like it all the times tho either :p Hear music???wtf

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w