Is This Hyperacusis (A Little Freaked Out)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Melike, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      Although my tinnitus seems to be getting better (still fluctuates) I started to experience occasional sound sensitivity for some particular sounds and sometimes I feel like my tympanic membrane pops-shakes-trembles??? (umm hard to describe) when I hear sharp noises or sometimes my own voice.

I have had tinnitus for 3 months and I have no hearing loss if that matters. Is that normal?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Looks like you have tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS). Mine wouldn't go away, but it is not present 24/7.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh...but why :(

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      A lot of people with tinnitus seem to get this type of symptom and most of the time it goes away over time or at least significantly reduces. At least based on what I've read on boards like these over the years. Probably nothing to worry about. It's not hyperacusis unless you perceive sounds more loudly and/or it causes pain.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Melike are you sure your tinnitus was caused by stress and anxiety? Before the onset of the tinnitus did you listen to music through headphones regularly or attend clubs, concerts were loud music was played? Do you work in noisy environment? If the answer is yes then it's likely your tinnitus was caused by sound.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      I had the exact same symptoms as yours when I began suffering tinnitus 10 years ago. I believe it is some form of hyperacusis, because your ears are reacting too much to normal sounds. I think it is called TTTS. I've had it for 10 years now, but you definitely get used to it and it is not present all the time.
      I can hear mine everytime I speak a bit too loud, or there are sharp noises too :) But really, as opposed to T, it's pretty OK to deal with it and you won't notice it at some point.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh ok. I'm reallly freaking out right now.

8. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      Don't, really. Actually, this symptom is pretty much related to how much you focus on it.
      The thing is : you're expecting a noise to cause your ear to pop, so it's going to pop, because you are putting some kind of stress by anticipating. This symptom really only bothered me for a few weeks, but then you won't even notice anymore :)
      It even goes away completely at times, when I'm feeling really relaxed and everything is going okay in my life :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As i said before, no, I haven't done those -regularly-. But I did sometimes. The last ones were way before the onset. Except the headphones. I dont remember that one.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have to add that it happened intermittently 1 month ago again combined with a flu but disappeared quickly.

11. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      On my onset my ears would thump or something like that whenever I would put the dishes away, any sudden loud noise, dog bark, things like that. I would take step by step back from somebody having a conversation with them, and they would follow me until I told them to lower they're voice. It took some months but the severity went away thank God.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Melike

Stress and anxiety can cause tinnitus but when hyperacusis is present (sensitivity to sound) exposure to loud sounds is the likely cause. It doesn't sound as if you have hyperacusis perhaps some sensitivity to your auditory system which will probably calm down with time. In tinnitus terms you've had it a very short while so things will probably improve. Hopefully you don't have TTTS - the condition is rare and I think it's far to early too be calling it that. It is for this reason most ENT doctors prefer to see a tinnitus patient after they have had the condtion for around six months, unless there are additional symptoms: Balance problems, dizziness, deafness or continous pain in the ears. My suggestion is to give it time and I suggest not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume.

For stress and anxiety, you might want to try St John's Wort. It is herbal and used to treat stress and mild depression. There usually isn't any side effects. Consider using a sound machine at night which is better than sleeping in a quiet room.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot Michael. I'm not sure it is hyperacusis. It is like picking up some certain annoying frequencies in every noisy thing, but it is also perceiving some noise more than it should be anyways?

Other than that, my T seems to get quieter and quieter nowadays and thats why I can't believe new symptoms are coming in. And yes, I also use some masking to sleep.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is a step in the right direction that your tinnitus is subsiding @Melike . Try not to worry too much about the sensitivity that you are experiencing as that is likely to go eventually. The important thing is that you don't do anything that could exacerbate the problem and I'm talking about headphone use. Please don't use them even at low volume! If I were you I would never use them but it's your choice.

Regarding sound enrichment. I suggest continue using it at night but remember tinnitus should never be "masked" or covered up so that it can't be heard. Set the volume of the "sound enrichment" slightly below your tinnitus. If your tinnitus is low it doesn't matter if the sound enrichment masks it. However, if it is at moderate level and using sound to completely mask it is not a good idea, as the brain cannot habituate to tinnitus unless it can hear it.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      @Melike, are you prepared to suggest that your tinnitus is getting quieter thanks to rTMS therapy, or do you think that perhaps you are starting to habituate with the natural course of time?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can honestly say that it is getting quieter, i don't think it is the initial stages of habitutation. But I'm still not confident to say it does so due to the rTMS sessions since it still fluctuates. I still need more time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only use earphones at really low volume to mask my T if I'm not in a place that I can use speakers( my mother's house f.e). But thats veeery rare.

I really want to believe that those are only some good signs showing that I'm recovering.

I don't want to use earplugs outside for my sensitivity since I think they will slow down the process. What do you think?

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My opinon on this is as follows @Melike but ulimately the choice is yours: If I were you Iwould never use earphones, earbuds or headphones, sleephones etc even at low volume. Use a portable sound machine or music player for sound enrichment instead. As I've previosly explained, tinnitus should never be masked. When you fully habituate, you will hear your tinnitus even in a quiet room and it will not bother you.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      What if your ear got a little sensitive? And did you mean to say your ear trembles to sound? I hope that's not hyperacusis. Best of luck to you.

20. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yep sounds like you are a little similar to where I'm at. I don't have tinnitus, but have had it in the past , I don't have TTS either but just sound sensitivity.

Certain frequencies , mostly the sounds that car brakes give.

I've totally given up the use of headphones (tough for an ex musician) But it's like what all the guys here are saying, by expecting to hear these sounds you are empowering them so Just do your best to relax and ignore them.

Something I'm still learning how to do !