Is This Hyperacusis or Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vermillion, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      This is exactly how my situation is. As soon as I get background noise a whissling sound appears all of a sudden.

2. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Raphael7713 has it subsided for you?

3. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It has been gone for a while now, but it will probably come back which it tends to do.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I have this as well. Only in one ear and usually only during a bad spike. It can be better or worse depending on the day. Am currently going through one of those right now and waiting to see if it subsides, as the sound that triggered it was extremely loud, and worried it might become permanent.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      But I can honestly say that I'm 80% habituated or "cured". I rarely think about my tinnitus, its not even there for the most part, and when it gets back I dont get to depressed about it. It's all about your attitude and most important; time. Give it time. For some it takes months to adjust, for others it can take years...but you will habituate or if you are lucky enough, you get cured or it just decides to disappear.

I flew to London 2 weeks ago, I wore protection, no spikes no anything, just the annoying pressure changes and the ear pain...which normally goes away 1-2 hours after landing.

6. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      @vermillion

Did your reactive tinnitus improve? I have exactly the same.

7. durbin91

durbin91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax build-up and TMJ
      I have tinnitus from grinding my teeth (getting better with a new mouth guard), but this reactive beeping noise has cropped up a few times. A few months ago, it was like crosswalk beeping, but it disappeared after awhile. It came back last week, and now it sounds like a morse code beeping. Sometimes, when I swallow or do jaw exercises, it disappears for a few seconds. Also seems to be affected by my neck posture. I'm not sure if this is also linked to my TMJ. I'm hoping it is, because I have high hopes for full recovery with a new mouth guard.

8. Ento
      Wishful

Ento Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma? Stress? Both?
      I seem to have the same thing. When I listen to static noise (white/purple/pink) there is a high-pitched zinging on top. It usually goes down when the static noise stops. Sound level does not matter, it is always on top. Also background noise triggers it, wheel/engine noise when I drive my car, wind, fans, fridge motors, etc.

Even tried notched white noise, notched at 10khz where my baseline T is. Still makes that zinging on top of it.

When I have good days the reactive zinging is very low. Sometimes I don't hear it, and I only hear my now very tolerable baseline T and hissing. I could live with that. But then that reactive shit comes up again, and sometimes can stay high for days for no apparent reason.

At night it is mostly low or non-present. I therefore normally sleep well now. It usually starts in the morning, gets progressively worse during the day, and goes down again before or at bedtime.

I think there are two things, my baseline T, and this reactive thing. During the first month I had several T tones, that gradually faded to a hissing and a 10khz T, that some days is quite low.

I am frustrated and baffled by this; still trying to figure out a pattern after five months. I find it very hard to habituate to these fluctuations. I have no control over it; no matter what I do or don't do, eat or don't eat, whether I'm stressed or calm, have slept well or not, supplements, ACV, chiropractor, accupuncture, nothing stabilizes this reactiveness. Grrrr :banghead::banghead::banghead: sorry for the rant. I am mostly able to maintain a positive attitude now, but sometimes have to get it out of the system.

9. historicalagency

historicalagency Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We seem to have the same exact type of T... I’ve had a ton of sounds come and go, there’s always been a baseline hiss which at this point id kill to have back as my only sound. But that ZING that competes with all noise is the one i truly can’t deal with. I was just in my car in silence and it wasn’t there, and yet now I’m in a cafe trying to do work and it’s BLARING over the background noise!!!!! How is it that it is hardly There in silence yet excruciatingly loud in louder environments? I used to go to cafes to do my work because it was the only environment that would mask my T. And now I can’t even be safe here. What do we do?

• Good Question Good Question x 1