Is This New Tinnitus Spike Because of My Earbuds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by wonderful9235, Nov 6, 2019.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's true. It is because there is a lag in the headphones. For noise cancellation, the waves have to be inverted. Invert 180 degrees too late, and you have just doubled the amplitude. Noise cancelling is better for lower frequency, repetitive sounds, like road/airplane noise.

2. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      John, you should have read my comment fully :D

Yes, if there was a lag on a high frequency, it could potentially double the volume. BUT noise-cancelling headphones don't treat high frequencies for this exact reason. They only treat lower frequencies, that they are sure to cancel, because they are fast enough to treat the information.
      So again, no worries on that matter.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As JohnAdams has pointed out, some waves might not get cancelled out - but might instead get amplified. This could happen at frequencies that one can't hear.
      Search this forum for "noise cancelling headphones" and you will find multiple people reporting getting permanent problems following the use of those headphones.

4. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, so let me tell you the same I did John; this can't happen. Noise-cancelling headphones don't treat high frequencies, only lower ones, and they are fast enough to treat it in a manner that that can never happen. These have been tested thoroughly by the company making these headphones.
      Problem is:
      That could be nocebo.
      That could be because of wrong use, i.e. still listening to high volume when the goal is to listen to low volume.
      I could probably find people saying the exact opposite and how it saved their life.

Anyway guys! @wonderful9235 I remember that bone conduction "earphones" exists, and I was actually thinking about buying a set (but I bought normal in-ear ones in the end).

I think this is it, the solution :)

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Wireless-Conduction-Headphones-AS650SG/dp/B075FMK7SD/

This device doesn't use sound waves! It uses bone conduction, which means zero impact on eardrums.

It goes from 80 to 170 euros, but I find some other models on the web for 50 euros.

Cheers.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, the highest ones they do treat, apparently can get amplified and hurt one's ears.

6. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill, I just told they don't treat high frequencies, and you are replying me they treat it lol.

No, they don't treat high frequencies because they can't, this has been tested out, and they only treat frequencies where there is no (or almost not) "shift" in the counter wave sound.

These products are tested by sending a signal and then recording the signal after cancelling, so they see what frequencies are perfectly cancelled, and when it starts to cancel less. That way, they configured the treated frequencies to be the only ones working well.

Also, higher frequencies are the easiest to be cancelled passively, which means they don't even need to apply the active noise cancelling technology, because the foam of the headphone already passively cancels them. That's because higher frequencies are very easily stopped, contrary to low ones. That's why when your neighbour play loud music, you only hear the bass, and can't really hear high notes.

I hope this is clear.

Cheers.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't say they treat high frequencies. I referred to the Highest frequency that they Do treat.
      Perhaps that "almost no shift" is enough to cause serious problems for those of us whose ears have been compromised.
      The passive cancellation is not enough to prevent one from not hearing human voices around one...

8. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      The next generation of noise induced tinnitus are the young people who have their ear buds turned to maximum volume. I talked with my audiologist on this subject. She said that at this point over 60 percent of those coming for hearing are kids between ages 14 to 20 years of age.
      Noise induced tinnitus. Sad to know. Those of us with any form of tinnitus know the pain and how it's changed our lifestyle

9. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      The next generation of noise induced tinnitus are the young people who have their ear buds turned to maximum volume. I talked with my audiologist on this subject. She said that at this point over 60 percent of those coming for hearing are kids between ages 14 to 20 years of age.
      Noise induced tinnitus. Sad to know. Those of us with any form of tinnitus know the pain and how it's changed our lifestyle

10. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think you don't understand.

The highest frequencies they treat might not be attenuated completely if there is a little shift, BUT this means it will be attenuated anyway, just not as effectively as the lower ones. So in all cases, there is an attenuation or total cancellation of the outside noise. There is no augmentation of the outside sound.
      Human voice is in the lower frequencies. It's around 125 Hz to 300 Hz.

11. Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What are the odds that this spike will be permanent?