Is Tinnitus Killing My Career? Suggestions...?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gigi, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Gigi
      Alienated

Gigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Guys I am having trouble being motivated.

For school I have to do tons of Mixing which requires head phones, but when I do the T is louder even if I mix at a low volume.... so I don't want to do my homework, listen to music or talk to any of my friends. How is music supposed to be my career if I can't even listen to it without it making it worse.... I don't even know anymore, music has been my hole life and now it betrayed me and screwed me over. I know "blah blah blah" be positive but like I can't right now. I don't know what to do.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gigi,
      Sorry to hear tinnitus is really effecting you at school with wearing headphones and mixing even set really low.
      I'm not sure how you can get round it.
      Would extra school support help with working in a room on your own at dinner or after school lessons ?
      Speak to the head of your year if you think that will help with the extra support......lots of love glynis

3. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      If its making it worse I would just stop doing it no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      I would advice anyone that has T to stop using headphones.As what to do about your current situation is to talk about it at school,explain to them what your current predicament is and you wanting to but it's just not working now.

5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      will.i.am has tinnitus, and it isn't mild, that's for sure. See those headphones around his neck? He needs those to do his job.

I like what he says about being focused, despite everything going on around him and everything he has to do. Don't know how long it took him to adjust to the tinnitus, but he's still composing music. He's even the first composer to send a song to Mars. http://will.i.am/about

Music star Will.i.am speaks about his Tinnitus...

6. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Imo positivity isn't as much the issue as a approaching the issue by assessing the actual issues and indetifying the conceptual underpinnings of your distraction/fear/panic in the deeper, instinctive realm of the consciousness.
      One step in this proccess is to not approach your music homework as though you just need to "do it, do it, do it! go!", and then say "oh no, I think it's getting louder ahhh! stop!"
      Rather, you'll want to take some time and do some experiments:
      1. Put music on some speakers in your room and listen to the music for 5 seconds, then turn the volume down to silent, then back on for 10 seoncds, then 20, etc. Each time stop and make sure your tinnitus does not stay "worse". If the "worse" tinnitus gets louder each time you play the music, but goes back to normal immediately, as soon as the music is off, then you know that it is safe to listen to the music.
      If you are all good after 1, then...
      2. Do the same thing with headphones on.

7. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

You should've watched the video,that way you would've seen that the video is not allowed to be embedded on other sites.Still though,Will I AM might have already been far enough to keep on going before he developed T.
      I'm not so sure if it's wise to advice people to use headphones despite the warning in your ears.

( Apparently he had it since childhood (baby) i'm just not really comfortable about advising taking that risk)

8. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I've watched the video several times in the last year and didn't see that notice. Anyway, Gigi can still watch it on YouTube.

I don't know about his history of having tinnitus since childhood. It isn't a prominent feature on his website, so he doesn't consider that it's important to who he is, apparently.