Is Using a Subwoofer Safe When You Already Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Snake, May 20, 2022.

1. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      I want to buy new speakers for my PC, Creative Pebble Plus to be precise. They are a 2.1 system that comes with a small subwoofer. In 11 years of having tinnitus I've never used a subwoofer.

It doesn't come with a volume knob of its own so I don't know if a subwoofer like this is dangerous at all? It's all powered by USB so it isn't some kind of high power system. I think it can't be that loud being that small?

With low frequencies it's hard to know when it's loud at all so that's my concern.

10289823.jpg

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Low frequency bass can make tinnitus worse for some people, especially those that have noise induced tinnitus. We are all different so there is no way of knowing if you will be affected, so be careful.

3. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I guess it all depends how it's affecting you. I listen to a full decent quality 7.1.2 system with a Klipsch 12" sub.

4. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to try it yourself. I don't think a subwoofer really matters in terms of final dB level output, but your condition is what matters more. For example, are you sensitive to sound? Specific frequencies? Is your tinnitus reactive? Do you have any problems with normal speakers or other everyday sounds?

I mean normal traffic, wind noise, ACs etc have a lot more bass frequencies, so if you have tolerated those, I don't see how a woofer that small at reasonable volumes can hurt you. I believe also that it's the higher frequencies that are more harmful to our ears and that's why a lot of people lose those earlier than the lower ones.

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      That's a smaller subwoofer, so it's mainly just going to reproduce mid-bass. I think it would be fine.
      I also listen to a sound system with a 12" Rythmik sub.

• Like Like x 1