It's Back!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynn Nowell, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lynn Nowell

Lynn Nowell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Well, it ( tinnitus) never really went away! But when I signed up here early this year it was bad. And got better!
      Well I have some back pain that has flared, and I've had 2 600 mg doses of ibuprofen today.
      And the ringing is suddenly much louder. I know I had taken a week or more of ibuprofen early this year. So I'm strongly suspecting a relationship.
      My question are:
      Is it likely to be related?
      Does anything help? Like drinking extra water?
      Thank you. Lynn

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Lynn,
      I haven't taken Tylenol, Aspirin, or Advil in over 10 years. I'm scared to death of it. I have the fresh memory of how these made my ears scream.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      That's quite a lot of ibuprofein. I wouldn't take that much since we know it is a bit ototoxic. Why not combine ibuprofein with parasetamol?

4. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Lynn

The good news is that it seems that most medications in the pain killer family are only a temporary problem. Once it get's out of your system its very likely that your spike will go away. So keep that in mind, you should be fine. I would not keep taking it though if you have the choice.

Good Luck, I hope your spike leaves soon

Louie

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You'll be sweet.

NSAIDs like ibuprophen are notorious for their ototoxicity, but the good thing is that the effects are almost always temporary. If you were taking ridiculously high doses for extended periods of time, then it would be something to worry about but right now it's just a temporary annoyance you'll need to deal with.

6. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Try taking fish oil and turmeric pills.. for ur back..
      stop using pain killers..

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynn Nowell

Lynn Nowell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Acetaminophen makes me itch, ibuprofen makes ears ring, I'll have to look into alternatives. But my back is a bit better. Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Nogood , what does turmeric do ?

8. Darryl Darley
      Yeehaw

Darryl Darley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16./06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band loud noise
      Hi Lynn drinking more water does help looking at the big picture also the pitch of your ring find out on some ones keyboard if you can once you get the pitch you can start training your brain using that sound. Try a cloths peg on your ear in different spots trigger points on your ear pressure points using this will help. I am now training my mind to except the ringing and using meditation with sounds seems to help I am a musician. Diet and doing exercise monitor your ringing every day I teach Tai Chi this helps Good luck. Try and stay away from drugs...