It's Impossible to Avoid All Random Loud Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by washashore, Jun 24, 2014.

1. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      @Rhea ARe you still using plugs all the time? I've read your posts and you're reading my mind :)

2. Nic B

Nic B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal \m/
      This here, folks, is pure habituation gold.
      You got it buddy!!! The being neurotic about tinnitus is wayyyyyyyyyy more damaging to your habituation than random loud noises.
      Be proud of yourself, the realization you just had is a big important one!
      GOOD JOB!!

3. Nic B

Nic B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal \m/
      I'll take a wild guess... is it 25 years? :p

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1993
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock Shows
      Yeah, I *hate* the random loud noises, but there's really nothing you can do about it -- who knows when they're coming, right?

One thing I've noticed is that, not only have I lost high frequencies (over 12 Hz), but I can listen to the same song about 30 times and never really notice the lyrics that well. The music is in the foreground, the voices are in the background. I'm not sure if that's consistent with anyone else's experience or not..

5. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      I agree, what seems to make Tinnitus worse for me is my anxiety after these loud noises.
      Loud door slam "check tinnitus" "become neurotic again" and there you have it an anxiety spike.
      The sound sensitivity I have now is probably the result of me being neurotic and checking all sounds to see if it's me or some other source, after a while my ears just started picking up on stuff.
      Then I had a big spike and after it went away everything seemed much lower.
      Now I've started focusing on it again and BAM headaches, neck pain from all the stress, anxiety...
      But I know I did it once and I can damn sure do it again.

6. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I'm refreshing the topic. I've been doing much better last days. I slept very well two days ago. Another ETN said my T will go away. Normally ;) ''If it doesn't in a month, contact a theraupet..'', but it will go. He gave me hope. I'm in my 6th week and I've noticed a fading of T.
      Today at school. HUE, heavy windows, nothing to do with those you have at home. Must be 2 m high and 2m large. It was warm so many windows were open. I was sitting around 1,5m away from the one which suddenly SLAMMED with all the power. I jumped of course but 2 seconds after I only thought that it must have reached my hair cells and probably destroyed a few more of them and therefore all my chances from curing of T are gone are largley diminished. Of course, no possibility to find information about how demaging this kind of things are to ears. Can it compare to a thunder, a gun shot, loud music? If I didn't notice the change in T right after, can I be sure it didn't influence my T somehow?
      Has any of you experience a T spike after this kind of sudden slamming of sth heavy?
      Of course, it had to be the window right next to me...all the other people were further. What's more I coudln't see it coming cause I had my back turned to it...

7. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      From what I've gathered, noises like this shouldn't cause problems at all, they're very short bursts and I doubt they're over 100db, or if so not much over! It's the prolonged noises we need to worry about.

This is just what I'm living by, I'm not ENT!

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      thanks anyway :) Unfortunately I can't be sure if it wasn't more than 100 db..I downloaded two applications to measure noise, but I'm afraid the're crap and exagerate a bit. Otherwise that means I'm constantly in danger. When I measure my teacher talking at the class, it jumps over a 100 db too, so..Sure it was short. One second. But so are the explosions..Oh gosh, I'm probably panicking, but this window was really heavy..eh :/

9. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Random loud noise again yesterday..a train horn. I don't think however that it was extremely loud cause my boyfriend was even a little closer and it didn't make him jump or whatever and it's a kind of train which replaces a tramway or buses in Sicily, but still..I can't even tell for sure how far I was from it and I just wish I knew the decibels..all I know I was fine lately and now I succombed to unberable noise again. All this during my dream holidays...

10. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck

Amazing..... Wow. 2 years of hard work and effort, That's exactly what i've done. Complete devotion to getting over T. then 1 little incident, i'm extremely careful

11. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Amazing.

12. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Rhea,
      Have you tried any desensitizing for your ears and not fearing sound like a fobia and reducing time out side with plugs in as it can get better slowly ?.....lots of love glynis

13. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You're right about that. Destroyed hair cells are replaced by scar tissue. The only way to see the real damage is to cut open the cochlea and image it under a microscope.