It's Not The Tinnitus, It's Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Mar 2, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      OK, I've had T for 40 years. Music induced. Ups and downs. Scary times through the years. And until a couple weeks ago I was getting a little freaky... for some reason it was always right there, and loud. I guess it reached a new plateau. Anyway, someone here suggested "Gauge your response TO the T, not the T itself." WHAT A DIFFERENCE THIS HAS MADE!!! Thank you.
      A few weeks ago, you'd see me rubbing my ears and all stressed out, tired, complaining and asking everyone if their ears did this. And this has been going on for over 40 years. It just seemed to start getting to me. Anyway, I STOPPED listening FOR it, and started thinking about my response to it. And I think purposely taking the time to evaluate my reaction has made a huge difference.
      For example, I'm sitting here tonight typing this and it's only the 2nd time today I thought about T. Or rather, My 'response' to it.
      I remember waking up this morning and it was loud and screaming. My response this morning was , "So what, what's new?" And got on with my day. I spent 5 quiet hours in my car and don't recall responding to it once (notice I said 'respond'. I truly don't remember hearing it. Then as I think about my afternoon, I was doing quiet activities and don't remember responding to anything at that time either. I watched a movie tonight and don't remember responding to any T during the whole movie. Weird, I used to think there was a high pitched TV noise that aggravated the T. Well,.. maybe there is. But it doesn't increase my response. Sitting quietly now, typing, I'm aware of my response to my T. My response right now is, "There it is. So what."
      Maybe for me, after 40 years, I'm sort of used to T .... but then again .... suddenly by measuring my response I'm just not so aware of it anymore.
      This is my latest weapon in this war.
      I also exercise and eat well, and avoid all loud sounds like the plague.
      I'll explain again-
      When I'm conscious of the T sound, I quickly shift my thoughts to my response, .. how I 'feel.' Make a mental note and get on with the task at hand.
      This is not what I would call "Hitting the T head on," or "Avoiding it." I've tried to do both, for decades. But this "Response measurement" is making a wonderful difference.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Would you say you "accepted" your tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies

4. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      makes me really worried reading from a man who had it over 40 !!! years and still worries about it and gets stressed because of it.after 40 years! well, im afraid of my future now, so where is that famous "habituation" ? seems it does not exist.

5. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @michela

My father has tinnitus for over 20 years and I never saw him complain about Tinnitus, actually he sleeps in quite room. :wideyed:
      He told me that he got bored by it and got use to it.

• Like Like x 1