I've Got Questions: Tinnitus for 3 Weeks, Disappeared Completely With Prednisone, But Came Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mpt, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hi

I have had tinnitus for a little over 3 weeks now, 1 week in I took prednisone and the tinnitus completely ceased for about 5 days. It is back now. I just had an audiology appointment and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the following phrase means:

"Normal tympanometry bilaterally with reduced DPOAEs suggesting normal middle ear function, and impaired outer hair cell function"

He report goes on to state : normal hearing sensitivity bilaterally at expected levels-- they tested up to 8k

I also have had increased sensitivity to sound, i dont know if its full blown hyperacusis though, I believe the tinnitus is a little better since it came back after taking prednisone, however the volume seems to be similar to before, maybe a little better, and it seems like it has moved into the middle of my head.

I have an app that plays cricket chirps that I have been listening to almost constantly, the sound resembles my sound, but I'm afraid that it might be delaying habituation since I don't notice my sound when it's playing, sitting in front of the tv now without the app on I'm definitely aware of the ringing -any opinion if regular masking white noise might be better than the cricket sound as far as habituation is concerned?

2. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      As I understand it, Prednisone helps reduce inflammation. Not quite sure about the reduced outer hair cell function though, especially if your audiogram showed up as normal. Was your t induced by drugs?
      Maybe ask your ENT to clarify what this all means. And please keep us posted on this thread. It is useful to know these things.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      doctor wants to put me on a longer course of prednisone... is this worth it since the ringing came ack after I took prednisone the first time?