Jaw Hurts When I Wear Earmuffs — Help?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by HanaK, Mar 13, 2019.

1. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Lately I've noticed that my jaw hurts when I wear my earmuffs because it presses against my jaw. I use the Peltor X1A. I also have an earwax buildup problem so I don't use earplugs unless I absolutely have to.

Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any other types of good quality earplugs that doesn't go in the canal or earmuffs that don't hurt your jaw? I read reviews about the circular ones at drugstores and heard they melt in your ear or something.

Note: I have slight TMJ.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi,

I had been using Peltors X5A and X4A constantly from October to Jan. I never felt any problems... Then one night in January I slept with the Optime 95, which I will regret. I woke up with Jaw pain and it has not settled. I cannot use earmuffs anymore, which is a huge issue with severe hyperacusis. I cannot even wear Bose QC35...

Conclusion: Listen to your body. Make sure you don't aggravate this pain more and let it rest if possible. If you ignore it there is a risk that reality will catch up.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Eep :( That sounds horrible. Sorry to hear that. I will definitely limit my use of earmuffs until I find an earmuff alternative. Thank you for sharing your story! I hope your pain resolves soon.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I use X5A, and I don't have this problem.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Wow the X5A is much thicker than the X1A too. Maybe I just have a weak jaw structure or something. :(

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I own both X5A and X4A. I find X5A to be a lot more comfortable than X4A. Who knows, X1A might be even less comfortable than X4A.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes. They seem to compress a nerve or muscle around the ramus area.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Same here. I own Peltor Bullseye 1, Peltor X4A and Toennesen ear defenders. The longest I was ever able to wear any earmuffs from the Peltor series was for 2 hrs max. Usually with breaks as your head starts to feel like it's in a vice soon. This is because these earmuffs need to create protective seal around your ears → resulting in excess pressure around that area. The pads are usually quite firm. If it's cold outside, it's even worse.

I feel you can certainly give yourself some inflammation and TMJ issues, if worn often & for prolonged periods of time. Not to mention it doesn't help hyperacusis, and all these hearing protectors have some degree of occlusion effect.
      fJjfas6.png
      What you can do:
      • get the DAA Silicone Gel Replacement Ear Pads 3M edition (make sure they fit with your Peltor model - I got them for my X4A and found out I can't replace the pads with these ones)
      • alternatively you could get some noise cancelling headphones (though, I don't recommend this option as some cheaper models create literally just hiss that doesn't cancel out anything, and the good quality ones work by generating a sound that's phase-inverted by 180 degrees to the unwanted noise; with this some people report ear fullness and weird sensations in their ears) note: don't rely on the 'earplugs under the ANC headphones' advice: 1. Overprotecting, 2. No evidence it actually does something to reduce the risks.
      Screen-Shot-2015-12-18-at-09.56.43.png
      • if you want to play it on the safe side, you could get some good quality passive noise isolation headphones (e.g. the Focal Listen would be a good option - high isolation, and it even starts at lower frequencies than many others, also the cushion pads are nice and comfy)
      focal_listen.PNG
      or..
      • earplugs
      Many issues arise here, though: 1. the occlusion effect, 2. can vibrate in a piston-like manner within the ear cannal [1], 3. pushing back cerumen with debris (earwax buildup & blockage), 4. cochlear suppresion via chronic ear plugging may even cause tinnitus [2] , etc.

To reduce the occlusion effect in earplug fitting depth of insertion is important, and perhaps ear plugs with membrane technology could also help (like the ProGuard Lin-Ear PR20 musician earplugs).

I hope this helped a little.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      cochlear suppresion via chronic ear plugging may even cause tinnitus

Well that has officially freaked me the hell out, it makes sense as to why my tinnitus has gotten worse lately.

As for the earmuffs I have the X4A and i find it hurts after having it on for a while and my jaw feels really irritated, i thought it was just me.

10. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Jiri, please help. I can't concentrate to read your post clearly.

Can the inflammation and tmj clear up,?

Please help. :(

11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's not just you. :-(

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Will any issues heal on it's own? This thread scared me. The X4A is very uncomfortable but I live in a noisy area and there's not any time to put in ear plugs inside.