Just Home from a Flight and Ears So Blocked

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emer, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Emer
      Ape-like

Emer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress related
      Hi everybody

Emer from Ireland here who occasionally pops in or drops in when of course she gets a fright and is looking for support. I have been on this site a little while and have always been treated very kindly.

I guess I dont appear on forum very often as my tinnitus is relatively silent most of the time, however I never lose my gratitude for that or get ahead of myself. But such a shock this eve as I flew to Munich for lovely break with my hubby last Wed - wore standard little ear plugs and actually noticed I needed them even less than normal as I have said because tinnitus has been so silent. But again never take chances and wore them anyway. tiny little rubber ear plugs but kept my ears safe.

No effect whatsoever from the flight and so today was prepared to feel no ill effects either from flight. However I was staying in an apartment that was suffocatingly warm and had a bit of a blocked nose leaving today.

Anyway long story short when I got off the plane after using the ear plugs etc I noticed the right ear very sore and had felt that earlier on the flight, also sucked a sweet and basically kept putting ear plugs in and out.

But now almost five hours later still have horrible blocked sensation in right ear and slight hissing but mostly blocked underwater feeling. I guess I am just hoping that it will unblock naturally over next night or day - the other ear is also a bit blocked but can feel it clearing or more open than other one. Don't want to be forcing too much the nose blowing etc but would be so grateful for any feedback or advice. I know for me the biggest obstacle in the past was my response to my tinnitus and extreme anxiety.

I have no hearing loss - well at least not up to now and my tinnitus was not noise related so am hoping its just a matter of time before it unblocks as I actually never had this sensation in the two years I have had tinnitus. but as I say relatively silent for the last year most of the time with spikes in between.

Thanks so much for reading.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Generally speaking, the blocked sensation you’re feeling is because the pressure on both sides of your eardrum aren’t equalized. This happens during takeoff and landing as the cockpit crew adjusts the cabin pressure up to 8,000 feet during takeoff and drop it down to airport elevation during descent. If your earplugs were not foam (you said they were rubber) or they were not vented, this would cause that blocking sensation after the flight.

You wrote your nose (sinuses) were also blocked due to weather. That also would keep the pressure in your ears from equalizing.

After your sinuses clear up, your ears will eventually equalize on their own. Chewing gum and/or yawning sometimes helps.

Bobby

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emer
      Ape-like

Emer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress related
      Thanks so much Bobby for taking the time to reply Yes the blocked sensation not as bad now but still head pressure and tinnitus hissing away after long period of silence. I will have to be patient I guess. I have to go to Manchester in a few weeks again for one night for work so will see about getting foam ear plugs! Hopefully cold will have gone by then. Thanks again