Just one minute...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Will, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Will
      Tolerant

Will Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I wish I could just have silence for just one minute. Just to remember what silence sounds like. It's like losing a friend and you can't remember what they look like. It's like being stuck in a glass cage being kept away from everything you love and enjoy, you can see it all, but you can only touch the glass. The day I break out of this cage, I won't waste one minute getting to love and enjoy all those things again... except of course using the earbuds lol. I guess tinnitus in our brain is like a problem in a computer, it can be fixed all it takes is the right software.

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Just try to think that silence is overrated. Silence can me disturbing too.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will
      Tolerant

Will Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      lol yea I suppose it could

4. Dan Turner
      Transparent

Dan Turner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You'll be hokay....the first weeks on up are touchy. Your mind will accept the tinnitus as part of the overall landscape in whatever length of time it takes to do so. Little peaks and valleys of cognition that get further and further apart until you level out and although the T-noise will still be there, you'll have adjusted.

It's a learning curve between you the T-noise.

I always encourage folks to read the info that you can on tinnitus in forums like these and then get out before you find someone writing a note in the support areas that sets you back. I've had my issue with tinnitus since 1999 and I try to make short stops into the threads and forums. Sometimes it helps to commiserate with someone else...but you'll find some unsettling and sad tales of anxiety that may get you more involved than you need at this point.

And...silence is overrated.<G But...depending on the source of your T-noise, you may be pleasantly surprised on some days how quiet things are.

Unfortunately....there is no fix...yet. I've been waiting to jump in that line for a long time now.<G

Good luck Will.

Dan Turner
      Conyers, Ga

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hindsight is a funny thing, most people don't focus on silence and think to themselves "how great is this silence!" I did not think of silence before tinnitus, it was normal, most people aren't consciously aware of silence until you lose it. You'll get to the point where you won't even be aware of tinnitus, it will be the "new normal".

• Like Like x 2
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Somebody beat me to it. "Silence is overrated." Sounds boring to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

It funny because when there was complete silence late at night, I would often put the tv on so that there was 'sound in the background'.

Its not the silence we want, its the possibility. Also, a lot of people report that sometimes there are moments of silence. So just look forward when it finally happens to you.