Katy Perry Concert and Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Apr 6, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I personally wouldn't risk it, concerts and clubs just seem to have over the top noise levels, dangerous decibels!

2. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Go see her. She's amazing, even from the last row of the Santa Barara Bowl.

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's not worth it.
      At loud concerts, the weird fluttery feeling in your chest is the blood being distrubed in your heart! That's loud. Easily loud enough to foam and bone.
      How do I know?
      With each concert, with earplugs, my T got worse. If I could only go back in time.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @iwholovemuaic - how loud is your T?
      And after so many years of having T..does T still annoy the hell out of you ?or you don't care ?whats your day like ?is it around Tinnitus ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      i going to go. Even though its the day before an exam. And even though I have screaming tinnitus. I'm just gonna look like an absolute dork and wear foam plugs plus im gonna buy what those construction workers wear, those massive ear muffs. I found some class 5 ones on Ebay for $25. Cant lose there. I hope!

6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Go for it! :) There was also a good comment about db meters. If you have a smartphone, download one and try it doing the concert to see how loud it is playing.

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your not gonna look like a dork! Your being smart about it. Just measure the sound in there and take some breaks and have funn. Its crazy cause im sure out of everyone going to that concert your deff not the only one with T going theres prob tons more. And today so many muscians with T still continue to play concerts and wear protection so if most of them are fine being up by the speakers playing and singing you will be fine being away from them and wearing protection! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey Sean,
      My T is louder than most environmental sounds. Since 1974 it's annoyed me daily. I do care but I try to think of my response to it, and not think of the T. I live a normal life, but I'm always dodging loud sounds. I try to avoid slamming doors, people talking loudly or yelling, heavy traffic, I can' clap my hands. Most of all, I avoid concerts and movies now since the accepted volume level is something like the space shuttle taking off. And I'm guilty. In my youth I was a volume freak of a musician.

9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks for replying .
      So you are saying you are living a normal life? I don't mind avoiding loud noises ..movies etc .
      I am 40 years old and I am just curious how people with T do after 10-20 years ..you are against ur still getting annoyed .

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I'm 55, still playing music, still using power tools, etc.. I was about 15 years old with bad T and started being cautious then. But darn, if I hadn't gone to some of the concerts through the years I'd be a little better off I'm sure. The only concert I can say I was glad I attended was Stevie Ray Vaughan, twice. I already had T full force at that time. I know a gal my age who has T - she said she was one of those crazy kids in the 70's who'd climb INTO the P.A. cabinets on stage and sit in them. They used to use these big reflex cabinets with the speaker at the back of the box.
      Anyway, throughout the day I hear it then I don't hear it. I live with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I have a feeling you're going to go.
      Rhea said it all. And let me add, I was fooled countless times that earplugs would protect me.
      The P.A. systems of today are ungodly loud.
      Sometimes when I hear my T, I think of the performers who put it there. Not happy memories anymore. I wish I would have stayed home.
      Don't be fooled by numbers, .. these earplugs or those earplugs.
      Don't think that the amplified drums which your ears think are repeated cannon shots aren't going to get to your inner ear one way or another.
      Don't think you may have a little concert spike and you'll get over it.
      Don't think you'll know when it's time to leave - the damage will be done at that point.
      T is cumulative.
      There's a price.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      The musicians aren't getting the big blast of the PA System. Notice in pictures that the amps onstage are only knee high most of the time, compared to years ago. And musicians nowdays where ear monitors that look like and help function like plugs. Why? To protect their ears. So if you conclude they do this with their small amps and monitors onstage, you can estimate that the sound coming out the front is at least 10 or maybe even 100 times louder. What do earplugs look like for that kind of volume? I don't think they make them.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Totally agree with you ! I am not going to any concert ,movies ..even weeding reception Dj party ( I don't care even if my sister is getting married )..
      Few hours of fun and missed IMPORtANT event versus life time misery . Choice is easy .

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I see what your saying but for me it's not so easy a decision. I think, those important life events are what makes life worth living. It's something I think about from time to time and honestly don't know which would suck more.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Well I exactly knkw what you mean .But, there can be tons of events where music is not loud . family get together ..kids b day party ..dinner at a restaurant ..dinner at home ..friends over ..countless things we can do without music .

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Hiya. I've been reading this thread for a little while but haven't posted anything (usually am on my phone and it irritates me typing an answer on it). However, I have the time and thought I would throw my two cents in.

Definitely get the right earplugs. I myself don't know the right ones, but I do know you can get ones custom made to fit your ears which protect them better than the general ones. I would definitely spend the money for the right ones - after all, you can always use them again. Also don't panic if your ears spike a little after the concert - that's natural. Also take the advice already given and go outside, giving your ears a break from the noise. If you ears begin to hurt, LEAVE. I went to a club once and my ears really hurt. I sensibly did go outside to give them a break, and though I had ringing my ears it did go away. In fact I don't really remember it bothering me.

If it were me...no, I probably wouldn't go to the concert. I understand that your T is not noise-induced, and that as part of habituating you should do the things you love. But the way I see it, people with T have to be very careful with how much noise they subject themselves too. If someone has diabetes, they have to avoid certain foods; for someone with T, we have to avoid certain activities.

That being said, I doubt that going to ONE concert and wearing the correct protection will make your T worse. Provided that it doesn't become a habit and you don't subject yourselve to a lot of noise, I think you should be fine. After all, only you know how much noise your ears can stand. Just be careful. If you are uncertain, I would honestly not go. One concert is not worth the stress and the sleepless nights.

17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Avoiding social events is not good.. I understand if something is too loud then yes.. But i have my sisters wedding coming up and im in it and have to go its easy as that. Then again im not going to her bachlerette party because its going to be at a club for 4 hours.. Not doin it cause clubs are just ridiculous and loud even with plugs. As for her reception, its in a really big hall and shes having a dj so im gonna wear ear plugs and just have funn.. Take breaks every half hour or so and pray to god my ears are fine cause i cant see the music being any louder then 105 theres tons of older people going. Then again ive been around music that loud since my onset of t with plugs and have been fine... My familys way of spending time together is always around music and i cant avoid my family i may tell them to turn it down a bit but one thing is you cant socially outcast yourself from some things its no way to live. Concerts and clubs are a no no for me anyways im not risking that but family events where the music isnt overly outrageous loud i wont avoid. Just makes me think that everyone on this site has one thing in common, T bothers them and worries them and what about the 300,000 people out there that just live there life like they didnt have T.. Some people protect there ears and some dont and sometimes there T gets worse and sometimes it doesnt.. Just matters on the person.

18. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Neenie - It looks like you have chosen to go but please only go if you feel that you could cope with louder t should it happen..if you don't feel you could cope with louder t then don't chance it as I tell you now you WILL kick yourself if you come away with a permanent t spike for for the sake of seeing a couple of hours of a concert....ears are not designed to withstand some of today's modern noise levels imo..like expecting to stare into a mega bright lazer fior hours and then not damage your retina..imo
      Rhea x

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Whats annoying is that how do most people go to a friggin concert and walk out with there ears not ringing or they ring then go away. I understand we have T already but why cant we go to concerts with earplugs and either leave with the same T or if it spikes up a lil then the spike just goes away and T goes back to baseline. The only time my ears ever rang was when i was jamming with drums and guitar for more then a half hour without earplugs, when i wore earmuffs they never rang. And ive been to tons and tons of bars and clubs and never have i left with ears ringing only loud live music with guitars and drums in a closed space. But whos to say anyones T will get worse from one concert..its just annoying that we have to worry about what our T is gonna do all the time its like living around it and not living at all. And unforrtunely every single thing in this world or event involves loud people loud music and a chance for T to act up. I just dont wanna live forever being afraid but ofcorse i gotta protect my ears. I dont wanna be 70 years old and look back on things ive missed people ive dodged cause of "T" hope to god they figure this out eventually.

20. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're right, Sean.
      My family is very musical. We're always playing music and having a ball. But concerts nowdays aren't really music. They're warzones with beer for sale. Used to be that rock got the bad rap for high volume, now it's all kinds of concerts. I'm out.

• Like Like x 1
    21. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Good luck.

22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Trust me im not saying im going to abuse my ears or anything, and im sorry your T is as bad as it is now and i dont blame you for being careful about your surroundings. And you also prob got to do all the things in life you wanted and are unfortunely paying the price and it just frusterates me that we have to worry about this. Things i enjoy that are prob the loudest are bars and playing drums. Havent picked up drums yet, but have been goin to some not so loud bars with earplugs and those are the things id miss most if i couldnt do them.

23. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Go to the concert and have fun, you can't stop living life because of a ringing in your ears. It's true what they say about you only live once , because you do. Definetly wear ear plugs but the main thing is that you go and have fun, because this will be life moments that you are not going to get back, and believe me your tinnitus is not going to get worse. Especially from a pop concert. Trust me, go and have fun !

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It is true, we only live once and the way i look at it is anyone of us could die tommorrow and T is for now maybe not ever but after were gone T is no more so
      Enjoy the best you can.

25. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Honestly I regret going to the concert I did in November that spiked my T and left me with H. I wore protection. I took breaks. I left early.

I would do anything to go back in time and stay home that night. Think really hard about this decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      So seems like custom made musician earplugs are the way to go? So what company is known for making the best custom made musician earplugs?

27. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Etymotic/Elacin and ACS are well regarded.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Sorry I don't like this comment. You only live once and thats why she should go? How about you only live once so you need to protect your hearing? It can go both ways.. If her tinnitus becomes even worse, she can not get that back either. So just saying someone should go because you only live once is not really good advice.

Also, believe you its not getting worse? Why should she 'believe' you? What kind of autority do you have to 'know' its not getting worse? Do you know how loud the concert is going to be exactly? Do you know where she will stand at the concert in relation to the speakers? Do you know where the speakers will be? Do you know her brain? Maybe her t is really sensitive and it will get worse?

Helping someone is really good, but just saying things will be 'fine' without good good reasoning is not helping someone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think it really depends on how you define a worthwhile life and living you life. Not going to a 4-hour concert doesn't necessarily mean that you are not living:)

30. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Exactly.

Its all pretty simple:

With high volume in sound, there is a high risk of increasing tinnitus.

Concerts have extremely high volume, so concerts are high risk. We know earplugs protect somewhat, but we also hear enough stories of people who protected their ears and still the t increased because they did not protect enough.

So even with earplugs there is a high risk. This is al people can tell you, maybe it will get worse, maybe not. But these are the facts. And you need to make a decision based on that.

So like someone else said: are you willing to go to something so risky for the reward that its going to give you? If your T does increase, can you live with that?

If not, don't go to high risk places. If you can and want to take the risk, enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1