Keep Getting Myself in Bad Situations...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ludvik, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      Had an Uber ride home, the driver was playing club music but I had my ear plugs in so I thought it was fine, it didn't sound too loud (and I also asked him to turn it down after a while)

I got home and having a spike with new tones.. All I want to do is let my ears recover and heal but why am I finding it so hard and getting myself into these situations.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Because life is loud. We can't hide ourselve from every sound. Do your best but don't obsess about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Thomt

Thomt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise? unknown.
      Yup everything is loud. Even driving in my car. I'm going to a New Years Eve party and I'm nervous about it.
      If it's too loud then I'll go outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Firstly you may have some element of hyperacusis which makes every sound much louder and hurtful. For some people, H would come soon after T. So it will not be abnormal to have some form of H in your case.

Secondly, even without H, new T is known to be unstable and unpredictable. Even without the club music on the car, people with new T will find T will spike at no obvious reason. This adds to the fear for T, the sense of losing control over T and feeling apprehensive of things which may aggravate T. We then tend to tip-roe around T and even that T can spike. Also new T can morph into many symptoms such as jumping ears, changing tones, having more or multi-tones, and may have ear pain, ear fullness, etc., etc. This is why the initial stage is often the most difficult as the brain has to come to turn with an unpredictable T which seems to be out of the brain's control. Be patient. This state will pass. Things will improve. Take good care. God bless.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I don't think you "get yourself" in bad situations. You had plugs, you asked the driver to turn the music down.

So your only mistake would be the Uber ride to go home ? Well, that's hardly a mistake.

I know it still sucks to have a spike but it looks like you do what you have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus can spike for no reason and for some people it fluctuates throughout the day at that becomes the normal for them.
      Some people have a steady time and when get a spike it can be a little scary at first till you get to know your own tinnitus over time.
      At the start of having tinnitus everything seems strange as tinnitus can change sound and strength and our emotional reaction also can be hard going and lack of sleep also becomes a problem.
      Time is a great healer as we adapt to our tinnitus and understand about it more and how we deal with spikes and tone changes.
      You did well popping in your plugs and asking for the sound to be turned down so don't worry your tinnitus will go back to whats normal for you soon...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks everyone.. I guess in my depressed and anxious state I'm much more prone to self hate and blame. I'm on Prednisone so this could be one of the side effects of it.

It's just heartbreaking as my last spike hadn't settled yet, and now I have another spike on top of that.

And to think I'd been so careful. It's a good lesson to speak my mind and trust my gut more, I should tell them to turn down the music earlier next time.

8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Maybe.

I've had T and H for 12 years, and every day I have a reason to think : "Ok, I could do better next time, this exposure was avoidable".

So you learn every day, but that's the same in every part of our life.

The truth is that noise is everywhere and we can't always imagine what will happen or which decision is the best.

We are still fu$%# strong to endure all that and to lead a life on top of it ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Foncky Thanks Foncky, it's reassuring to hear that. I definitely need to be more forgiving to myself, life is unpredictable and I can't live in perpetual fear. Determined to continue living a life of quality.