Keep Taking Fluoxetine?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ShaunR, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hi,
      After having a couple of months of trouble with my right ear I asked to go on AD. I was given fluoxetine. I had 2 weeks of hellish anxiety and then a few days later I felt OK!

The last couple of days I've noticed a ringing in my good left ear! Also a bit of ear ache and crackling and it keeps popping so i hear my voice in my head.My little daughter was complaining of ear ache the other day as well as my dads gf.

Do I assume this is a cold and carry on taking them or aire on the side of caution and stop taking them? Or reduce the dose to every other day?

It dosent help that I've heard there ototoxic so now I'm convinced there damaging my hearing :(

Cheers,
      Shaun.

2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Talk to your doctor about this before making any decisions to stop. Weird how others in your family are complaining about ear aches etc! I might be looking for other factors, like food you all eat, what is your source of drinking water, any mold in your home or apartment, do you live near a manufacturing plant that gives off fumes? I would be looking at everything really before blaming meds that only you take. Just the same if they may be oxotoxic then bring it up with your GP.

Good luck and best wishes with your T!!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hi,
      The rest of my family live quite away from where I do so I don't think its environmental.

What worries me is I finally have a hande on the right ear problem which was destroying my life.....but I think that was down to the Fluoxetine helping with OCD etc. But now I'm worried the drug that's sorted me could do me some damage.....and round and round it goes :( Hence why I'm scared to take anymore.

Shaun.

4. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hi,
      I used fluoxetine - because of anxiety and depression. As far as I remember 20 mg quite good effect on my mood, but bigger dose worsen my tinnitus (to unbearable level), so I had to stop using it. I don't think it is because of ototoxicity, but AD affects perception - tinnitus is well known side effect of SSRI!!
      Later I get Elicea. No negative effect on tinnitus, but don't know, maybe with bigger dose it can be the same.
      What is your dose?
      Also, never stop taking those day to day! You must reduce dose slowly.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hey,
      I'm on 20mg which after the inital terrible side effects has really helped me live again! A lot of it is in my head I believe....Hearing problems have made me so paranoid about sound, drugs etc

Thanks for replying,
      Shaun

• Like Like x 1
    6. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Same here :) I have never experienced any side effect with any medicine (mostly no required effect as well, lol), but with AD i felt all possible side effect. But no big deal. It helped me and it is important.
      My inner anger gone away and I was able to better communicate with other people and felt more energy and courage to live my life.
      Now I don't use any, but it is good to know there is a little help possible when needed.

7. Nothingrsh

Nothingrsh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know
      I have a really low dose of Prozac, 10mg. On it for a week and I noticed my tinnitus was worse. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I have been really depressed. I feel like I can’t continue the meds. Has any one noticed the tinnitus dissipates as you continue med over time??

Depression due to a bad year. I feel like I’m miserable.