"Kiss of Deaf"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardRR, Feb 28, 2015.

1. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      So I was doing some research and I found out something called the kiss of deaf, which is where someone kisses someone on the ear and in rare instances it could create suction that pulls on the ear drum and damage the tiny bones in your ear, leading to T, hearing loss, hypercausis, muffled hearing, etc. This bugs me because I have been using these ear plugs (the rubber ones with the three rings) everyday for a long time, and they always create a sort of suction. I have even on multiple occasions have had them just yanked out.

So my question is, would I know if those bones were messed up? I had a hearing test last week and it was normal, except some high frequency loss in my right ear (my T). I have fullness in my left ear, the ear I might think has something wrong with it due to the ear plugs, but the ENT couldn't find anything wrong.

Thanks for reading!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Oh and also, does anyone know how much "suction force" is needed to cause damage to the ears?

3. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I wonder if it's the same with pushing the flap? Tragus is it? In to block sound. I wonder if that causes the same issues? As I do it a lot.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Could be, the ear is so sensitive I would believe most anything could hurt it /:

5. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      wowww this is crazy how any thing can damage the ear and then boom its irreversible, scary. I hope others out there take care of their ears, I have seen little kids literally shouting in each others ears as a game! not good.

6. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Huh? In alllll my years dealing with hearing issues, I've never read that. I think I was about 8 years old when my ENT used a bulb (air bulb thing) he squeezed it to put a lot of air pressure & puncture my once intact eardrum to allow fluid to drain. I still remember it - pump, pump, pump ... (8 times) ... then punctured @1962. Quite honestly, I'd have to read it and verify the website with my own eyes. The suction from removing earplugs? I don't know about that either because in order to make things called "ear molds," soft material is pushed into your ear. It sets for ... I don't know 5-8 minutes then is removed with an impression of your ear. It's really packed in there and I've had audiologists/HA dealers lean against me to pull it out (while I kept saying, "Don't worry, it doesn't hurt and this is common.").

You might notice a difference if there was a problem with the two moveable bones and the stapes with the footplate on the oval window. It would not be a high-frequency loss (sounds of s, z, f and others I've forgotten) as that tends to come from the inner ear and age and tinnitus, of course. If your eardrum is intact, they can see through it and my guess is a catscan or some sort of image can be taken to confirm this if you're worried.

1. The reason you doubt your ENT is because _______?

2. What do you mean by "fullness in my left ear"?

I'm not a doctor or close to it. I've just been dealing with hearing issues since 1954 (eeek) and now tinnitus.
      I help friends understand their hearing loss and have a clean and accurate record with my accuracy (I tell them this is probably what you're experiencing) but your question is not the same as reading an audiogram.

7. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am a walking timebomb, anything can trigger at any time.

I gave my parents a present today and everybody was happy and my dad gave me a kiss on my right side at the head, i just heard a sound.

Instantly thought DECIBEL wow no omg not again.

Turns out it is much more than decibel when it comes to kisses on the ears..... It is a whole discussion about pressure and such.

I feel anxious and i do feel a dampening effect on the right ear and a ringing..

Wow just wow.

What do you guys think? Will this innocent gesture of my dad hurt me forever.....

http://www.hear-it.org/a-kiss-on-the-ear-can-be-dangerous-to-your-hearing

8. GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      When you push in or take out earplugs that create a seal, you cause an increase in pressure (or suction/decrease in pressure, respectively) on the eardrum/ossicles attached to the eardrum (which make up your "middle ear"). Basically this action causes very mild barotrauma. For most people this doesn't matter, they can insert/remove sealing earplugs or headphones hundreds or thousands of times and never notice anything. But for some people, like me, and maybe you, this creates a tinnitus which doesn't resolve until the underlying mechanical (of the eardrum or ossicles, or maybe even something of the inner ear, who knows!!) change heals. The tone (for me, 1220hz/1275hz/1340hz/1420hz, that sometimes alternate in a morse-code like fashion) used to last a few minutes for me, but with every subsequent pressure/suction (especially if it occurred before the previous one had fully healed), the duration increases. Currently I'm at about a month for a full heal!

If you have any questions, let me know. If you are experiencing fundamentally the same thing as I am, I'd love to help in any way I can, and I'd love to have any more information of your situation you can provide. I'm continuously trying to build my understanding of this thing/come up with testable theories of how it works/what worsens it/what improves it, so I can live with it better.

The one thing I am quite sure about is it's an objective and/or somatic tinnitus produced by the mechanic damage to... whichever. My tinnitus tones for this particular issue, unlike some other tinnitus I have, interact harmonically (not sure thats the right word) with closely matched tones — I can make it wobble or sometimes negate it entirely if I get the frequency/phase just right.