Klonopin? Is It Just a Placebo Effect Now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scott T, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I started taking klonopin .5 mg 2.5 months ago after a severe spike which I am currently in from a ear cleaning. I have since gotten down to .125 before bed. Do you think that this dose is just placebo or is it still doing something. I don't have anxiety so I am not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to be on anything and I feel like this is a crutch.

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I took it for a while and that dose seemed to have somewhat of a small effect on me. When I combine it with a small amount of Neurontin it has an even stronger affect. If your doctor says you can get off though, ask him how and by all means try to get off. Don't try to go cold turkey though. Maybe your doctor would let you have some for a flare up or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      0.125 is placebo at this time.
      I doubt it does anything at all, if you've taken .5 for 2.5 months.
      But tapering down is important so take it until you feel no need at all.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      .125mg still seems psychoactive to me, and I was on daily benzos for years.

.125mg K is roughly equivalent to 2.5mg Valium; Valium comes in 2mg pills. I believe there are .125mg K wafers, as well, so more good reasons to believe that's an active dose.

5. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      it takes your attention away from it because it relaxes you.

6. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think it's doing nothing, you can stop taking.

I believe it's about the same final tapering dosage I stopped taking it at as well. Nothing happened. Was taking half a tablet of klonopin 1 or 2 mg, don't remember, for 3 months prior.

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      If you can accept that its working as a placebo, then it shouldn't be a big stretch to teach your mind that you no longer need it. Weaning is a physical process, but its also psychological, in fact you can't really separate the two. You'll feel able to put down the crutch soon, judging by your words.

8. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Klonopin is a vestibular suppressant, so it is certainly possible that it is actually still doing something for you other than just lowering anxiety.

9. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Does it matter if it is the medicine or the Klonopin. Just enjoy the relief ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I'm not sure. I've been on about the same dose for 3.5 months now. My tinnitus has always been reasonably mild, however (on a scale of 1-10, it is usually a 3-4 or sometimes lower). As for vertigo and dizzy symptoms, IDK? I have noticed that some of my balance disturbances have not been as frequent since the spring and early summer. But I have no idea if that is due to the klonopin.

The klonopin has done wonders in treating my panic disorder, however, so it is no surprise to me that these other symptoms, that can be made worse by panic attacks, may be showing some signs of improvement.