Learning to Play the Violin — Are Earplugs Enough to Protect Me from Tinnitus Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JaneTJD, Jun 6, 2021.

1. JaneTJD

JaneTJD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know
      I wonder if anyone could advise me or maybe help to reassure me? I've been experiencing tinnitus at an intrusive level for about a year (I had it mild for years before but got an ear infection and boom!). I'm not habituated yet but I'm not at the point of despair that I was at when it started, and I am scared of it getting worse.

However, I've decided to learn to play the violin - it probably sounds insane, but I've always wanted to play and I need an enjoyable distraction - I have a 'mute' on it when I practise which brings the loudness down a little (currently I'm only doing about 20 minutes a day of little bits) and I have an EarDial musician's earplug in my left ear - but I'm still worrying that I might make the tinnitus worse.

I've only been learning about two weeks and haven't noticed a change yet - but am wondering should I stop? Or should the earplug in my left ear be enough to protect me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Have you measured how loud your violin is? I don't think it would be loud enough to cause a spike or hearing damage or anything. If you haven't noticed any changes to your tinnitus, I don't see why you should stop.

3. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Hi @JaneTJD, I don't think there's any harm in practicing with a muted instrument and musician's earplugs. I've been very slowly getting back into guitar, but I wear musician's earplugs in both ears rather than in only one.

Best of luck and let us know how you go :)