Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. RJames

RJames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      5 weeks into treatment. My tinnitus is on the way down, no doubt about it. I will write a full update whenever on my next appointment (3 weeks time - although who knows).

• Like Like x 14
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Don't wanna jinx it, so knocking on wood, but 2 days ago my tinnitus has reset to the pre-Lenire baseline. All of it. My 1990 noises that were quietened by Lenire went back to their original volume; the 2016 noise that was spiked has quietened back.

Too early to declare victory but this is very, very hopeful, this hasn't happened at all for the 17 weeks while I was using Lenire. I've abstained for 2 weeks and now it did. Which is also exactly the timeframe Neuromod forecast. Sure doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

I'll give it 1-2 more weeks and if it holds, I'll start again with the first timing which worked very well and avoid the cursed second timing for all eternity.

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're on the same trajectory I was - first timing's working for you around the 5-6 week mark.

DON'T LET THEM CHANGE YOUR TIMING. The second timing has screwed everyone whose experiences I've read. The Bat AIDS is a great excuse not to make the trip back to Ireland. Stay on the first timing.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Ivkopivko
      Speechless

Ivkopivko Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know, probably motorsport + headphones for last years
      Time for them to reconsider remote video-call assessments (Skype, Microsoft Teams, Facebook video call, or any other from thousands of existing and working communication tools) and remote reprogramming option for device. At the end of the day, It's just electronical device with memory and interface, common business in IT industry for decades.

The only problematic thing would be MML measuring, but I don't see any other reason to measure it than for their internal records. The most important for customers is the perceived loudness of tinnitus that could not be measured.

Or they could review and use collected data since commercialization and invent more effective programs/timings (I bet that someone from Neuromod is reading this thread so forgive me if you've been doing this for some time :whistle:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And it has a MicroUSB interface. Doesn't get any more standard than that. They could simply ask their users to plug the thing into their computers and access them remotely through the machine. And if they have security concerns... those aren't valid, either. Ensuring that only the manufacturer can reprogram a remote device is a very well solved problem in the days of IoT.

I also hope that the virus will finally override what the hell ever is causing them to drag their legs on this and force them to implement it.

• Like Like x 2
    6. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Taking drugs on penile fracture
      Makes sense but they won't to do it. I bet my LS600 on it...

Pozdravujem do Zvolena!

7. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They haven't been able to place Lenire's manual on their page in the last 6 months. Wonder why they keep the link. Expecting from them a bit of flexibility is a dream that never comes true.

Funny, my company was able to have almost all 300 employees to work from home within one week. Not without problems, but they are working hard to fix them.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I think it should be possible to do things in remote, especially given the COVID-19 crisis. This virus crisis could last months and months, and this would virtually stop most clients from accessing and purchasing the device if the lockdowns are confirmed or get worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      And this symmetrical longevity (or lack thereof) is to be expected. Neuromod's statements that improvements would be permanent and disimprovement temporary never made sense. Anyway, I'm glad at least your worsening wore off and I hope that's a good sign for others who have been saying their lives have been ruined by Lenire making things worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anyone here considered selling their device given that it has basic timing settings and no hearing curve compensation?

I got the term with Neuromod but don't think I will be able to get there next 6-12 months due to Coronavirus. Will try to ask them to sell me the device but we all know what the answer is going to be.

11. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But their business model has been hit and turned 180 degrees by COVID. When there was free movement of people they had so many applications that they could afford to sell the device only in their Dublin clinic, as they would have enough people to fill all slots for months and then some. But with flights suspended, this will completely stop the sales, as almost no-one will fly to Dublin now. So either there is a remote assessment and configuration approach or they will stop selling devices for what, 6-12 months?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      They never intended to only service patients through Dublin. If anything it will spur them on to rollout in other countries. Of course, getting those other offices up to speed would be a challenge...

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe they didn't, but it was taking a lifetime to have Lenire accessible anywhere else? As of now, almost one year after launch, the only place is Hannover and it is not operational yet. They still depend on people flying to Dublin.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I still don't understand how the electrical pulses shall calm the neurons...

15. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nobody does :)

16. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Ask Susan Shore. She came up with it. Point being that the medical community acknowledges that the underlying approach has merit. Neuromod's application of said technology is another matter. Always remember that this is already their 2nd crack at it after MuteButton failed.

Personally, while I do have curiosity, I don't have to understand everything about how something works to believe it works. I just need to see evidence of it working.

• Agree Agree x 4
    17. MadsWithT
      No Mood

MadsWithT Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      Me neither. In my experience, the electric pulses rather excites the neurons.

18. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      How it works is mostly a mystery to me as well, but at this point it is proven that the pulses can indeed affect the neurons: which definitely gives science something to work with. Now the main question in application recides in figuring out what gives positive and what gives negative effects. At that point, we're much better off than just a few years ago.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      Dr. Shore has published the answer to that question.

I struggle to understand why Neuromod doesn’t have settings that match Dr. Shore's positive results.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Care to shed some light on what the answer is?

21. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      Shore's research showed:

Auditory stimulation before nerve shock stimulation by 5-10 ms calmed fusiform cells in the DCN and reduced tinnitus.

Nerve shock stimulation before auditory stimulation by 5-10 ms excited fusiform cells in the DCN and increased tinnitus.

What we know about Lenire's 1st setting is that it is auditory and nerve shock stimulation concurrently. This lands right in the middle of Shore's settings for improvement or making things worse.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. drox
      Pacman

drox Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss/music/stress
      Hello fellows!

I have a feeling that everyone is now experiencing what it is like to live under a constant threat like we do with tinnitus :(!

I have a question about Lenire: Does it work better for some kind of tinnitus? I have a new whistling kind of morse code sound in one ear above my usual hissing... Sounds it's more in the ear than brain so I was wondering...

Thanks and stay safe!

• Like Like x 1
    23. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      On top of that they use Bluetooth to send audio into the earphones. Utter nonsense? I'd say yes. Besides problems with timing, there is a sound compression. It's also more expensive to manufacture and has lower reliability comparing to just plain cable.

I'd like to know the reason why they have gone this way. It just doesn't make any sense. It will be similar to the door handle story in Tesla S. Elon wanted them not visible so now there is no way to get people out of the car from the outside in case of an accident. (Sorry, I'm just speculating...)

• Agree Agree x 5
    24. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is there any picture how those signals go? If they just follow one after another then there is nothing like before or after. I wonder if there is any space between each stimulation set: (audio->electric shock->space->and again...) or if audio and electric shock overlap...

Also Lenire sends signals to a different nerve. Might that influence the timing?

25. MadsWithT
      No Mood

MadsWithT Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      @UHPTS
      I think you make a good point regarding Lenire using Bluetooth. If you have a margin of a few milliseconds, latency must be finely calculated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Could be a bit far fetched but I do feel like when I take a hot bath, my tinnitus usually calms down some. I wonder if the sound of the water and the feel of hot water somehow have a similar effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    27. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dr. Ross O'Neill said that they do. I don't know what is the latency and if it can be variable but I suppose it is as the data is most certainly buffered before being encoded to sound.

Why all this bother? What is wrong with a simple cable?

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It is my opinion that this tech is incredibly simple and the Bluetooth is to make it appear state of the art in nature. They will probably admit themselves that this is a try it and see approach. Hit and hope which is why I've avoided it, tinnitus is not something to play around with IMO. That being said those who have found permanent improvement I'm happy for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Does anyone else who have Lenire feel like the tongue stimulation comes before the auditory one during the beginning of the session?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    30. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happy to report that this has held - it's been a week and I'm still back on pre-Lenire baseline.

Quick overview of case history: 6 weeks of Timing 1 helped; 6 weeks of Timing 2 caused a spike; 5 weeks of Timing 1 didn't help the spike; after 2 weeks of stopping treatment, the spike stopped and went back to the pre-Lenire baseline; this has now held for 1 week.

Neuromod gave me a call today, they'll get back to me on next steps.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1