Liberman's and Kujawa's Synaptopathy Drug Abandoned?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Ben S, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Ben S
      Curious

Ben S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      So I was scrolling through the thread on Dr. Mimbo Shim, and I saw that someone mentioned how Liberman and Kujawa applied for, and were approved for a synaptopathy drug patent.

After looking into the patent, I saw that it was apparently abandoned today, 3/20/20? Perhaps I am misunderstanding or simply wanting to believe this is false, but does this mean that their drug has been canned? :(

Screenshot (3).png

Link to patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190022101A1/en

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This could be Decibel's drug since both Liberman and Albert Edge (also named in patent) consulted there. Decibel abandon the drug presumably to work on other projects that were further pre-clinically. What's weird is among other compounds listed, BDNF is which is OTO-413. So perhaps Decibel lost exclusive patent?

3. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      In the description section [73] I stumbled upon this:

"In addition to the possibility of protection, the use of Trk agonist drugs to regenerate synapses in vitro is assessed. As shown in FIG. 4, new afferent synapses are generated in explants in the co-cultures (isolated SGNs+denervated organ of Corti) if they are treated with amitriptyline. Each of amitriptyline, imipramine, LM 22A4 (N,N′,N″Tris(2-hydroxyethyl)-1,3,5-benzenetricarboxamide), THF, and DHF is tested for the ability to regenerate afferent synapses. Several doses are explored."

Treated with amitriptyline? That's funny because I just took 25mg of it.