Listen for the Silence

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Dec 23, 2013.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've had ups and big downs with T since 1974. A few years ago I was reading an interview with Pete Townsend, who's probably caused more tinnitus, even to himself, than anyone on the planet. He works closely with the best ear doctors and stays on top of new treatments. He said he has lost the ability to hear high pitches and has a type of tinnitus that must be hell. He said that a new approach in T management really helped him. He said he sits in a quiet room for about 1/2 hour everyday and ACTIVELY, without reading or anything, concentrates hard on listening for silence beyond the tinnitus. I tried this it works WONDERS for me. I can't explain it, but it's great. In fact, I'm into this again recently ... a car door got me and it's bad. I have complete confidence that in a few days I'll say to myself, 'Hmm, I didn't notice my T until now and it's the middle of the afternoon." It doesn't instantly make a difference, but as days go by, it decreases ... for me.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I believe that can be very effective. Thank you for sharing.

3. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Interesting. Sounds like a kind of meditation. I find myself noticing longer periods of time between noticing it. I've gone hours and hours even almost a day. I've had a moment or 2 now that I have had actual silence. It doesn't last long but it's awesome when it happens for sure.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Before this 'treatment,' I never really listened hard for silence, I just listened to the tinnitus and took silence for granted. So I guess this changes pathways or perception or something. It helps, that's all I know.

• Like Like x 1
    5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A car door increased your tinnitus! Unbelievable isn't it? A car bonnet/hood slamming shut increased mine permanently, what is going on here? Why does everyday loud(ish) noise increase tinnitus? How can you forget about tinnitus if insignificant silly noises make it worse?

6. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I think you're right, I who love music. I often sit in silence and try to listen beyond.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Mick1987, those are good questions. I was thinking, "Why?" today.
      If prehistoric man didn't have tinnitus, then it's the loud modern world doing it to us. I suppose the loudest sounds our bodies were meant for were thunder, voices crying and yelling, and... I can't think of anymore in the natural world.

• Like Like x 1