Living with Tinnitus and Meniere's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tunsc1963, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Tunsc1963

Tunsc1963 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been suffering with tinnitus for about 5 years I also have loss of hearing in both ears, I have earring aids but these do not help, the back ground noise is amplified so much that it makes my ears hurt and I struggle to hear anything anyone say's to me. I have recently been diagnosed with Meniere's, with a fullness in my right ear, which is a pretty daunting feeling. I constantly feel I am going to fall over and can't seem to walk in a straight line. I have to say I am struggling now the tinnitus I have learned to cope with but the Meniere's is causing me a lot of stress. I am very unhappy and depressed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome tot he forum. Meniere's is quite common. Some of our members have lived with this and perhaps can advise you better. Our notable member @glynis can be very helpful in helping you in the right direction as she is experienced about this condition.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to the forum @Tunsc1963 .
      Sort for a late reply.
      I'm on holliday at the moment and just popped on .
      Menieres can be really hard going with the symptoms and tinnitus and totally understand how hard walking can be too.
      Have you been put on medication ?
      Menieres can make you feel depressed and hit me hard also over 12 years ago but you will get through it with support and medication.
      I take Betahistine and proclorperazine for Menieres and antidepressants too.
      I will pop on again while I'm away to check this post.
      Will be back home sometime on Thursday....lots of love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    4. KarinaK

KarinaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with tinnitus 5 years ago and recently diagnosed with Ménière's. I'm having a lot of difficulty at work because I'm a teacher. There are days where I can't even get out of my room because I feel nauseous and my tinnitus is really loud. Those are the days I have to call in sick. My colleagues find it difficult believing that this condition is actually real and they think I'm making it all up. Some of them don't know what it is and keep telling me it's an infection that'll go away. I've been to 4 different doctors and they all said the same thing but now my boss wants me to see a "company-approved" doctor to get another diagnosis and to prove that I'm not "making this up". I'm so stressed out thinking about this and the effect at work that my tinnitus is getting worse and worse everyday. I'm so upset and frustrated and the only way I can stop myself from being depressed is by doing some form of exercise at home. I've changed my diet too, I'm on a "clean" diet now and I feel better emotionally. However work is really upsetting me and I honestly don't know what to do so any advice or kind words would be much appreciated.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @KarinaK. Perhaps read up on glynis's response above or message her to get support from her as she has dealt with Meniere's and may have some personal insights to give you. For the vertigo, this exercise created by a lady MD has helped me but may or may not help you with your type of vertigo from Meniere's. I did the exercise twice and it healed my BBPV type of vertigo. It never hurts to try it. Here is the link:

Dr Carol Foster - Half Somersault Maneuver -...

As far as the T part, the more anxious, stressful and depressed we are, the more T can flare up. If our brain thinks T is a major threat, then all our senses will be zooming on it and it will be perceived a lot louder and more intrusive. So we need to try our best effort to stay calm and positive. Try do some relaxing exercises, activities or hobbies.

For diet or life style, try to take some natural supplements that will help calm the nerves, such as Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, Melatonin etc. You can google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Also check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

For supplement or diet, members here often recommend some good supplements, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc. It is advisable to reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc. or to switch to more healthy diet. Of course prudence is needed here as you still need to enjoy life and your T may not be affected by these things.

Try to read up the success stories to give you some hope and comfort that given time and with a good strategy (such as CBT, TRT, mindfulness etc.), that you will get better like those who wrote the success stories. I used to suffered from ultra high pitch T and severe hyperacusis and was in a mess. But today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. I posted my success story. If you have the time, check it out. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/