Long Gun Blast a Week Ago Resulted in High-Pitched Tinnitus and Other Symptoms

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Winsongs, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Winsongs

Winsongs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Hello, my name is Chris and I’m a long time songwriter and musician. Almost one week ago I shot my 6.5 Creedmoor with a muzzle break while wearing my Peltors. My cheek weld must have offset my right ear pro just a little and bam I felt like I got hit by a bus. My hearing in my right ear went way down, accompanied by a whistle sound when I would hear someone speak or if I spoke. Later that day some of my range returned (of course I stopped shooting), but the whistle remained.

I went to the ENT at Vanderbilt in Nashville and had my hearing tested. Somehow it came back normal but everything still feels off. Still feel like I have a slight loss of range in my right ear as well as a very high pitched tone (probably in the 8-10 kHz range). I’m also experiencing a feeling of “pressure”, almost like when you have a cold, like I need to clear my ear. I’m trying to avoid Valsalva as I’ve read in this group it can be slightly damaging (my doctor said it shouldn’t harm anything but might make me susceptible to TMJ which is a whole other problem). The whistle sound as I speak, sing or listen has subsided but my ear still feels way off.

My ENT didn’t prescribe me any meds as he said it looks as though I’m trending towards recovery, but it’s been almost a week since the incident and I’m just worried this is it...

I’m praying this heals soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Winsongs, I looked up 6.5 Creedmoor with a muzzle break. That could be 160 dB? You had to cause damage.

3. Javimaltes
      Innocent

Javimaltes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      Hi from Spain, Chris.

Sorry to read what happened. For the moment is too soon to know what is going to happen, but in most cases, the ringing subsides. In any case, whether it subsides or not, you will be ok. So, don't panic. Avoid reading too much on the internet about tinnitus, trust in your doctors and if you are having a rough time, just ask for help from a psychologist.

Two weeks ago I was very scared because I read too much about tinnitus. I don't do that any more and feel much better.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I’m sure it did something but how long it will take to heal is the question. It’s trending towards a recovery but I’m just in the thick of it so I’m emotionally drained right now.

I was wearing ear pro, I just think it snuck past the gel on my right ear... I didn’t absorb the full 160 dB SPL and shockwave...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I really appreciate your words of encouragement and I will take your advice. Many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Question... Feeling pressure accompanied by a whooshing noise when I sometimes move my jaw or yawn. Feels almost like my ear is clogged. Does this go away?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Update - it’s been one week. The whistling while speaking or singing has subsided. Most of the whooshing which was occurring while moving my jaw or yawning has gotten better but is occasionally still happening. I am however dealing with the high pitched constant tone/s. I don’t notice it in crowded areas or with a higher noise floor. In those situations it just feels like my ear isn’t hearing the full frequency range, almost like the world is a little muted. In silence, it’s very hard to deal with and I’m praying this will get better with time. It’s been extremely difficult emotionally.

8. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      You've definitely done some damage but it's still very early days so good time/chance to promote healing. Crucial thing is to prevent any activity that could cause even the slightest bit of further damage to auditory system.

For the next month I would recommend:
      • Stopping all music activity; no singing or listening to music.

• Do not use any power tools (lawnmower, drill, vacuum cleaner) even if using ear protection.

• Eat softer foods that don't require as much chewing.
      Otherwise carry on as normal and do nothing else. Don’t try to fix it, your ears will do that on their own if you allow them the time and auditory break they need.

You've already made good progress, give it every chance to continue.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      So grateful for your advice and your words of encouragement. I will take it easy this next month and live by your suggestions. Many thanks.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      UPDATE - it’s been two weeks since the incident.

I’m certainly progressing in the right direction. Starting to feel someone normal again albeit still dealing with a little ringing (it’s only really noticeable in extremely quiet environments). And my ears just feel a little muted in general. I’m still praying after a few months or so, even these issues will subside and return to normal.

Also FWIW, and this may be more anecdotal than anything, I’ve been supplementing Ginkgo Biloba, CoQ10, Zinc, Magnesium, Glucosamine, Hyaluronic acid, Chondroitin, and Inner Ear Balance.

Feeling a little better emotionally as this trend towards recovery has been accompanied by some other great news in my life. Continuing to pray...

Also as a side note, it still feels like there is fluid or something in my right ear. When swallowing and opening my jaw (to relieve pressure) there is a washy sound, like when you have a cold. I’m hoping this is part of the healing process and as that diminishes, so do my other issues.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Hey all, UPDATE.

Today was truly a turning point. My range of frequency has seemed to be back to normal or very close to it. The horrible ringing that was occurring has diminished to the point I need to be in a dead quiet room to hear any trace of it, and even then it’s almost not noticeable. I’m not quite 4 weeks from the injury so I’m hoping any traces of it will be gone in the coming weeks.

I’ve been supplementing Vitamin B, Zinc, Magnesium, CoQ-10, Ginkgo biloba, Osteo Bi-Flex (glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid), Inner Ear Balance, horse chestnut, and at night, 20 mg Melatonin. It’s a lot and I really don’t know if it’s helped me get to this better place but I’m so glad to be here.

I stopped drinking alcohol, eating salt, and spicy food as well to promote healing.

Lastly, and this may all be strictly anecdotal, I noticed a dramatic decrease in the tinnitus after singing. It almost went away after my performances. I woke up this morning feeling just about normal again.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      UPDATE - got hit with COVID-19 over the past couple days and the ringing is back.

Understandable as my sinus' and ears are heavily congested.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      That's very interesting, I remember reading someone else on this site experienced the same thing.

Out of curiosity, did you also have earplugs under your Peltors?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I, very regrettably, did not. I know people always say this, but I legit always double up and this was the one time I didn’t.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winsongs

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      UPDATE - it’s been a little over 5 weeks from the incident and my issues are in a much much better place.

The ringing has almost completely subsided even in completely quiet rooms and the muted frequencies have seemed to have opened back up to a normal spectrum.

I had COVID-19 a couple weeks ago and that made the ringing escalate greatly but my doctor prescribed me Prednisone and I believe that helped greatly.

I’ve been consistently taking the mountain of supplements as I mentioned before and singing regularly (for some reason the singing also helped mitigate the ringing substantially).

All that said, I have prayed and prayed and prayed more and I believe that was a contributing factor as well.

Thanks to all on this group who offered words of encouragement. All very appreciated. I’m not one to take victory laps but I’m just so grateful to have made this progress to a better place.

Wishing everyone the best.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1