Long-Term Tinnitus/Hyperacusis Sufferers: Why Haven't You Given Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sevv, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hello everyone,

I've become a bit fatalistic after my last spike (time will tell if permanent again or temporary) so I've resigned myself to one day having severe tinnitus. Will probably happen sooner than later given my luck.

So I have a question that is probably meaningful to many in here. I would like to ask people with loud/severe tinnitus or hyperacusis: What is the reason you haven't thrown in the towel? Why haven't you given up when fate has taken so much from you? What is the value or meaning that life still provides you?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      To me, the fear of death is still stronger than the torment. That's the only reason.:cry:

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sevv

Tinnitus and hyperacusis can be very disruptive to a person's life when they are severe. Even more when there are additional problems in one's life whatever they may be. Each person's circumstances will be different so can only speak for myself. I have had my full share knowing how debilitating T&H can be. Even in my darkest hours I tried not to throw the towel in, to borrow your phrase but admit I came close to it. Sadly, some people are unable to endure the distress and turmoil any longer and will seek to cause their own demise. I have nothing but sympathy for them because a person can only take so much.

Michael

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I think all the long term suffers on here with severe tinnitus and hyperacusis are truly amazing and epitomize the profound power of the human spirit!

God bless you all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      My five-year-old son. I tragically lost my mother as a child and it made me think of him. I was half a second from suicide with the weapon that caused my suffering. I've since sold all my firearms and try to focus on my family. It's very hard being young and educated and having to watch my wife struggle to pay our bills. I hate this shit so much and cannot believe how fucked my life has become.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      As a long term sufferer, I still think there are spaces of freedom that one can enjoy, even with hyperacusis and tinnitus. I have had severe hyperacusis and I think now down the road, many years later, that the outcomes we anticipate are usually worse than reality. Even if one cannot carry on doing the same job, or going out as freely as before, or even if there are many activities we cannot do, there are still things that we can do and enjoy and we should concentrate on those, try to enjoy life as best as we can.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Juan, I tend to catastrophize and somewhere down the road I imagine myself in your shoes (severe hyperacusis), although I'm not sure if my tinnitus will reach your level. But you are also one of these people that manages to keep going, and I will take you as an example for my own journey. I am optimistic for those upcoming treatments, there should be a future for people like us if we manage to hold on. Let's stay positive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Don't want to hurt my parents and siblings, plus fear of death.

Also, I have had a months-long tinnitus spike go away, and pulsatile tinnitus also came and then completely resolved. So it really gets better, not just through habituation, but through an actual decrease or even elimination of the noise.

• Agree Agree x 3