Looking for a Cure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Charles Corte, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Charles Corte

Charles Corte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Hello,
      I'm new to this type of communication but I'm needing help finding a cure for tinnitus. Plus, I don't want to waste time and money on things that don't work. I have tinnitus and headaches and I can't find a cure or where to start. So, if you have info for me please let me know. Thanks

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No cure yet, but if tinnitus was caused by hearing loss curing the hearing loss may help
      however this is 5-10 years away.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03616223
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A device here may be a treatment for tinnitus as well and avalible as early as 2020 if succeeds.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...igan-tinnitus-discovery-—-signal-timing.2805/

Supplements and Medicines you can try that have some evidence of reducing tinnitus
      B-12
      Melatonin
      Klonoplin

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      homeopathy and nature cures stuff is complete garbage. Anyone who says they have a cure is most likely a scammer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      There is no definitive cure yet that is not still in the clinical stage. There are several things coming down the pipe that seem very promising. I myself and experimenting with high doses of curcumin, but it is still too early to arrive at any conclusions about its effectiveness.

If you're only interested in a cure, then I dont believe that tinnitus retraining therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, or over the counter tinnitus treatments are going to work for you. That's the sentiment of many of us here.

Also, there are many different causes of tinnitus, including earwax blockage. I would try to ascertain why you have tinnitus first before anything else. Maybe you could describe how you realized you had it and your symptoms a little better for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Your tinnitus might go away on its own. If not, the mind will likely habituate to it and the tinnitus will be much less noticeable in time. Some people undergo cognitive behavior therapy, or tinnitus retraining, in order to achieve habituation results faster, but these types of therapy cannot cure tinnitus itself, nor do they work for everybody who tries them.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Since you don't know the cause of your tinnitus, I'd start with a diagnosis process. You can use this flowchart to work with your doctors: https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart

There are cures for T in only a small subset of cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      that's like saying pusatile tinnitus (which isn't even tinnitus)

or tinnitus caused by blockage/middle ear malfunction exclusively.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The whole idea is don't go running around ENT to ENT or going to the store or surfing the allies in pharmacies, don't stay up all night browsing the vast corners of the internet looking for a cure that doesn't exist, Only to find scams.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/research-news.4/ is where updates about real research is held.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      @Charles Corte - welcome aboard! There is no "cure" as of this writing. The best way to deal with tinnitus is habituation. In simple terms, it means your nervous system will learn to ignore it over time. It worked for me, and hopefully it will work for you too.

10. JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      1. Try eliminating the known triggers: marijuana, caffeine, alcohol, sugar and stress.
      2. Find a sound therapy on Spotify or YouTube that cancels out the noise.
      3. Don’t bother with Ent’s - they don’t get it.
      4. Experiment with supplements. NAC worked for me, but others have found success with different ones.
      5. If it doesn’t go away, then as others have said, habituation will be the last resort.

11. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Don't count on a possible cure, too complicated and too deep into the brain for that...

As every Audiologist says : "You just have to learn to live with it" !

12. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I think a cure could come out in the near future, some people expect FX-322 can be the drug to give silence back while restoring hearing, hopefully it does. Hope Univ Michigan and Minnesota can give a good amount of tinnitus reduction.

We never know the day of tomorrow. Hopefully a cure can be in the scenario for all of us. Prayers to the Almighty for mercy by giving the knowledge to a human to develop the cure. Can't loose the hope.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      The best cure in my opinion, is habituation (for now at least). I am optimistic that medicine can go a long way still, but i won't be putting all my eggs in one basket. We literally don't even know why T ranges so differently from people to people, or why it even exists (there are theories on this but I haven't seen any proof). We don't even have cures for diseases we know the cause of...what are the chances of anything being done about T?

My feeling is that a cure will be discovered in the future...but possibly by accident or as a side effect of something and not intentional.

14. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Habituation...

That's a hard one for intrusive tinnitus. A tinnitus you can hear everywhere and even more when it's in both ears but usually one ear gets it worse.

Someone with intrusive tinnitus and hyperacusis, that's even more difficult to habituate.

What about those with constant ear pain and tinnitus?

We all need a cure, when could it be possible? We never know... In the past medications and treatments have failed on clinical trials.

Hoping on FX-322.

Hoping everyone can add to the effort to find a cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There are hypothesis around GABA, the amount of hearing loss, and rather the individual has TMD or not that attempt to explain why some individuals have louder tinnitus then others. Tinnitus and Phantom limb pain are hypothesized to have gateway mechanisms (why some individuals have it and why others don't and why it varies in degree) hopefully in the future there will be a more clear understanding.

I'd like to believe a effective treatment will come as reversing SNHL in about 5-10 years.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I may agree with your point, but still to me tinnitus is way too deep and complicated to understand to find any cure possible...

This is something that the medical world cannot see, cannot touch, so almost cannot study!

It's very personal to every person who has tinnitus and hyperacusis and already very hard to measure...

• Like Like x 1
    17. Allen Y.

Allen Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      There is no cure... but that just means that there is no one thing that we can give that makes tinnitus go away.

That however doesn't mean your tinnitus won't fade ... or go away ... or that - strange as it may seem - will become a non-issue. Like people who first wear glasses, or clothes the first time ... after a while, they don't even notice they have them.

My T ranges between 2-10, with it being 8-10 most of the time now. It's horrible in a way ... but in the end, to the extent that I can survive and can function, it really has become less horrible. No human life is perfect. T is one more wrinkle among the many wrinkles I have.

Here is to a cure in our lifetime ... and if not, at least to peace and your ability to survive and live ... and prosper...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      they already know tinnitus is hyper neuronal activity usually in the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus caused by usually hearing loss. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/22/6/2383

quit playing pretend that's what the TRT shills want.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      sure about that?