Looking for the Smoking Gun

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hawsie, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hawsie

Hawsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am a machine. I am quite far from being a hypochondriac. Working in heavy construction has taught me to ignore numerous mild discomforts and physical injuries that would bench professional athletes..........Then in May, my goddamn head started ringing.
      The only thing that out of the usual was having extensive shoulder surgery 3 weeks earlier. As an adjunct to the anesthesia, they did a nerve tap in my neck, which I was told was a good idea for post surgery pain in the first 24 hrs. Having a disdain for opiates, I thought this was a sound suggestion.
      I have since had a complete physical, and an exam by an ENT. Everything is normal......

The ringing is constant, and is equal in both ears. Some days it seems louder, but it is with me 24/7 and slowly driving me insane. The ENT was an arrogant prick who suggested that all I need is a good psychiatrist. When I asked if the nerve tap in my neck or post-surg inflammation could be factors involved, he told me to stop looking for scapegoats.

Any insights or sharing a similar experience would be appreciated. I am not looking to blame or sue anyone. I just want this to stop before I lose my friendly and patient disposition.

Thanks!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawsie

Hawsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I appreciate your reply. However, my hearing tests were normal for my age (54) I have worn hearing protection at work, (when appropriate) for 30+ years.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where did you get that idea from?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      We must have gone to different high schools.
      Here is a page that explains it specifically for sound waves (it's actually not that different for electro magnetic waves - which is why your WiFi reaches further on the 2.4 Ghz band than 5 GHz).

To quote that page:
      As sound waves travel through a medium, they lose energy to the medium and are damped. The molecules in the medium, as they are forced to vibrate back and forth, generate heat. Consequently, a sound wave can only propagate through a limited distance. In general, low frequency waves travel further than high frequency waves because there is less energy transferred to the medium. Hence the use of low frequencies for fog horns. Although damped waves have decreasing amplitudes, their wavelength and period are unaffected.​

If you still wonder whether it's true, consider what you hear from your neighbor's loud music: the bass. That's the bam bam you hear when you can't even determine which song is playing.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Penetration is simply travel through another medium.
      Sorry, but I think you've got your physics a bit mixed up here.

7. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      You are wrong, lower frequencies cross obstacles more easily than higher frequencies. Get your facts straight buddy

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure whether this is true.

Here are attenuation values for some random ear muffs:
      protacIIattenuation.png

Note that attenuation does not drop at higher frequencies.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have Googled actually: that's how I found the link that explains wave propagation for you. If you come across another piece of info that supports your explanation, feel free to post it.

I'm not sure why you are so defensive about this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Which types of cancer? There are more than 100 different types. How severe of tinnitus? I certainly do not think mild tinnitus is worse than pancreatic cancer. Have you had a loved one die from pancreatic cancer? It's not a bearable disease. In fact, it's not bearable because it's terminal. Very difficult to bear something that destroys your internal organs and kills you.

Well that is a matter of opinion. I can think of disorders that I would prefer over tinnitus. But on the flip side I can also think of disorders that I would not prefer to tinnitus.

Now this I do agree with, but just like tinnitus -- there are different types of chronic pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I do consider it a bit like chronic pain myself too, but you don't need to twist physics to make that point.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The answer is obvious, but is also unrelated to sound wave propagation.

13. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      What happened to the lady who had the problem now its a physics battle

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Just as this is a support forum, as opposed to being a discouragement forum.

Good point :)

Have you had any stiffness or pain around the neck, jaw or face since?

Not that it's a diagnosis but is there a chance that there is associated swelling or injury that could be compressing the auditory nerve? This could cause tinnitus. I'm not familiar with the nerve tap procedure so I'm not sure how it could affect the area.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I think the lady who had the problem is actually a man.

@Hawsie, welcome to the forum! I have no familiarity with nerve taps but I can understand why you think that may have contributed to your tinnitus. I hear a ratchet sound in my deaf ear whenever I touch the back of my neck. I've been dealing with hearing loss and tinnitus for four years but the neck touching ratchet sounds did not start happening until I was about 18 months in. Weird stuff.
      Your ENT does sound like an arrogant prick. I visited three different ENT doctors and none of them recommended psychiatric help but I view their failure to do that as neglectful. In the end, a psychologist was the only doctor who helped me. Maybe your ENT had good intentions but his "bedside manner" is lacking.
      You have not had tinnitus for too long, so there is some chance that it may yet fade away. Good luck and keep us posted!

16. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Man or woman it still went off the mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawsie

Hawsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lorac,
      Thank you for your optimistic and encouraging response. As far as my new malady goes, I'm thinking of direct cause/effect with the needle stuck in my neck, because that seems to be the only unusual thing done to me recently. There is one other weird symptom accompanying the tinnitus, (I swear I'm not imagining it!), is a diminished sense of smell. I'm serious. No sense of smell and ringing ears. Add a painful post-surgery left arm and I feel like I'm falling apart.
      There is only spotty clinical info on nerve damage during a plexus block. It does statistically happen in 1-2% of cases, but there are few details on which nerves are actually affected.
      My regular Doc (a great internist) doesn't doubt this is happening, as he knows me to be a man who doesn't often complain about anything. He thinks that the two symptoms occurring simultaneously makes coincidence highly unlikely, but out of his range for determining a cause.
      I hope it goes away. I miss the aroma of flatulence and the peace of a quiet room!
      Thanks!

18. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Hawsie,
      I'm glad that tinnitus has not robbed you of your sense of humor. I sunk into a deep depression at the beginning of my journey with hearing loss and tinnitus/hyperacusis. I have since found that laughing and any (not too loud) activity that increases endorphins in my brain helps me tremendously with my situation.
      Your loss of smell is an odd twist. Hopefully, both the diminished sense of smell and the tinnitus will prove to be temporary for you. I would hate for you to lose your friendly and patient disposition.;)

• Like Like x 1