Ilija

Author
Sep 4, 2014
Jagodina, Serbia
Tinnitus Since
8/2014
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
You know now I finally get why my tinnitus is taking it's sweet time with the healing.
The God damn class room noises.
Today after having to sit through some stupid idiots yelling out loud cause it's the only way anyone will ever listen to them seeing as how they're dumb enough to be failing the 4th and last year of high school generally seen as the easiest as all the teachers cut you slack because you got the entry exams and stuff, but nah they're still failing.
So after singing some bulls**t song out frigin loud and after all the yelling I come home and put one of my favorite Tool songs, now I've listened to this song 200 times, I know it in and out and wouldn't you know it, today after all that yelling the part where he gives a good long vocal of the lyric I don't miiiiiiiiiind the mind part had a stupid PAINFULLY obvious undertone that was not pleasant at all.
So yeah every day after hoping my sound distortion/sound sensitivity/tinnitus improves I go to my class room where my recovery is systematically and sorry due to lack of better phrasing, getting f***ed day in day out.
So I've made a decision, seeing as how I'm young healthy and don't really get any other loud noises other than those apes yammering about THE MOST UNIMPORTANT SUBJECTS IN THE WORLD for no other reason other than that the dB level of their voices is directly connected to their IQ level whereas the lower the IQ the higher the dB-which is something I noticed stupid people have.
So I'm going to wear earplugs in between classes and hope to God there's still some healing left in me because up until now my ears have been bombarded.
I really hope that it's not too late for my ears to heal.

Jesus God damn Christ I can't tell you how much I'm mad that one of my favorite songs which I listen to DAILY has the most sickly and dumb undertone during the best part.
Honestly what exactly is it that makes IDIOT have to be so loud.
I swear to god my class should be changed from E41 to "Nothing under 90dB".

What do you think, there a chance I recover from the distortion? or am I permanently fudged?

I definitely feel your pain. How bad is the distortion and what kind is it? I have some myself.
Speaking off, I recently started on a new education and apparently the way most get jobs is at business meetings on random bars, quite worrying for my future.
Thought about to perhaps take it with one of the teachers, depending on how tolerant people are usually there's some help to get for different disorders, not sure it would help, remember my own peers from then and they didn't give much for anything.

It sounds to me like you are very angry, and having a very hard time empathizing with your peers.
No they're really loud.
Like every teacher in the school says our class room is the loudest, it can even be heard from the end of the hall.
They're just straight up idiots yelling pointless new viral youtube songs at the top of their lungs.
And even when you tell them "Don't yell next to me I have an ear condition"-5 min later yells right next to you and doesn't even say sorry.
They're just rude inconsiderate dicks who only care about themselves and having a good time before they realize that they shouldn't have done so badly in the easiest part of their life.

I definitely feel your pain. How bad is the distortion and what kind is it? I have some myself.
Speaking off, I recently started on a new education and apparently the way most get jobs is at business meetings on random bars, quite worrying for my future.
Thought about to perhaps take it with one of the teachers, depending on how tolerant people are usually there's some help to get for different disorders, not sure it would help, remember my own peers from then and they didn't give much for anything.
It's not bad but annoying, some normal sounds have weird sponge rubbing on metal sounds that aren't loud but are clearly there.
I'm hoping it's the same case I read someone had where after his tinnitus got worse the sounds he heard were metalic
As long as you take some protection, or it isn't very loud you'll be fine.
Before this I could go to bars and stuff where music isn't 100dB and after spending 3 hours still going home with no spike.
As long as you protect from really loud stuff (like a blow dryer running next to your ears or some people yelling close to your ears) you'll be fine.
Honestly except from the distortion/spike that happens to a lot people my T is getting lower still and I believe once I stop being in the loud classroom I'll recover even quicker.
The spike/distortion sucks but I've read a lot of peoples stories about having spikes or having it from the beginning only to go away after some time passes and the hearing cells heal (I consider mine still soar from the gig,all that noise in school).
So yeah in general just protect from really loud stuff, but don't worry about bars or such, of course if you feel the noise being uncomfortable just plug your ears with some ear plugs (lol YOU DONT SAY?! xD) if I had just plugged my ears when they felt like they were blowing up/when I knew the dryer was awfully loud next to my ear I wouldn't even be here today (unless I'm feeling bad with spikes I never come around anymore due to me stopping to care about my general really mild non intrusive don't give a s**t tinnitus :) ).

I see! Some voices to me sounds as if they have an extra 'layer' of some sound, one that wasnt there before, getting used to it though.
My t is pretty stable in its several sounds, not worse, not better I believe. Awesome to hear despite all of your peers doing their best to worsen your t that it's improving :)

@Tenna There are some voices that I just can't be around, so for me avoidance is best for now. For example, there is a physical therapist in the clinic I go to, and I have explained this to my physical therapist. She is understanding. I just wait outside until she is ready for me, and then I go straight into her office.

@Ilija I am a bit confused. Are you a student or a teacher in the classroom?

@Tenna There are some voices that I just can't be around, so for me avoidance is best for now. For example, there is a physical therapist in the clinic I go to, and I have explained this to my physical therapist. She is understanding. I just wait outside until she is ready for me, and then I go straight into her office.

@Ilija I am a bit confused. Are you a student or a teacher in the classroom?
Lels student.

I see. Makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the clarification. Is there any way you can get some support from your teacher? Just a thought.

While I do empathize with you @Ilija , I think you would do yourself a huge favor if you wore earplugs while in the noisy situation which is your classroom!
It will save yourself a whole lot of anger and hard ache in the long run, at least until you have given your ears a chance to heal a little.

As Tinnitus sufferers, I think we lose touch with reality a little.

The fact is, we have damaged our auditory system and in doing so, with the sound sensitivity and virtual complete turn around in the way we live our life that comes with it, we forget that the majority of people who don't have T and no hearing loss, or even with hearing loss, don't have noise sensitivity the way we do, what we would call a noisy situation that annoys us, people with no issues would not even think about.

Normal functioning ears can handle allot before they show signs of damage, we seem to have forgotten that before we became sufferers, we were like them, either being the noise makers or thinking how immature these clowns were, not worrying at all about the noise they were making in a "that is hurting kind of way"!

Remember we are the ones that are not normal and judging them by there normal functioning ears is not a very empathetic way of thinking, and kinda hypocritical! IMO.

Rich

@RichL I had never thought of it that way before, but you bring up some really good points. Not every one of us with T has hearing loss, but our lives have been turned on their heads, nonetheless. I never have liked noisy places, but now it is in a "that is hurting kind of way!" It is easy to lose touch with reality with T and H, and being engaged in conversations on this forum has helped me with "reality checks." Thanks for your perspective. Much appreciated.

While I do empathize with you @Ilija , I think you would do yourself a huge favor if you wore earplugs while in the noisy situation which is your classroom!
It will save yourself a whole lot of anger and hard ache in the long run, at least until you have given your ears a chance to heal a little.

As Tinnitus sufferers, I think we lose touch with reality a little.

The fact is, we have damaged our auditory system and in doing so, with the sound sensitivity and virtual complete turn around in the way we live our life that comes with it, we forget that the majority of people who don't have T and no hearing loss, or even with hearing loss, don't have noise sensitivity the way we do, what we would call a noisy situation that annoys us, people with no issues would not even think about.

Normal functioning ears can handle allot before they show signs of damage, we seem to have forgotten that before we became sufferers, we were like them, either being the noise makers or thinking how immature these clowns were, not worrying at all about the noise they were making in a "that is hurting kind of way"!

Remember we are the ones that are not normal and judging them by there normal functioning ears is not a very empathetic way of thinking, and kinda hypocritical! IMO.

Rich
You don't understand, I can handle normal yelling, the kind of yelling and loudness people usually talk with.
I don't have that hyperacusis I can handle say up to 100dB.
But these people don't just talk loudly they yell at the top of their lungs.
The kind of war cry yell you get at middle age battlefield now imagine that war cry in a room that carries echo and amplifies everything, it's not just me, the teachers the students that don't have damaged ears everyone except these loud idiots are bothered by it, but whenever anyone tells them to shut up be it a student or a teacher they.never.listen. because they're downright rude.
My class has had so many sanctions if you will and most of the teachers hate our class because of these idiots and their inability to actually do something other than whatever the hell they want to.

You don't understand

As a Tinnitus sufferer with very bad Hyperacusis, I think I do understand very well!

I will repeat, you would do yourself a big favor by wearing ear plugs while in class!

The next big step for you would be to lay a complaint with the principal and make a request to be shifted to another class, with all due respect there is not much more that we can do to help you with this one other than give you advice.

Rich

As a Tinnitus sufferer with very bad Hyperacusis, I think I do understand very well!

I will repeat, you would do yourself a big favor by wearing ear plugs while in class!

The next big step for you would be to lay a complaint with the principal and make a request to be shifted to another class, with all due respect there is not much more that we can do to help you with this one other than give you advice.

Rich
I didn't mean you don't understand what troubles I'm having with hyperacusis, I meant you don't understand when you said that they're normal volume and my hyperacusis is just making it worse, I never meant to insult or say that you are just fine and or don't know what hyperacusis or having tinnitus is like.

I will wear ear plugs in class as I said, as for removing my self from the class you can't do that.
In high school we have narrow professions so if I'm a 4th year student and my choice was computer technology and electrical engineering I can't remove myself from it as there is only one 4th year class with that profession.
I'll just have to ride out the next 2 months with earplugs and after that it won't be a problem anymore as I will have graduated.
And finally I'm not coming here and answering anymore as a means to looking for more advice I'm just clearing some of the misunderstanding, I have taken all the advice I have been given and I'm moving on.

@Ilija As an educator, I understand that you are stuck in your classroom. In my country, you can ask for special accommodations from the teacher if you have a special need. Is that possible for you? You have the right idea about keeping your eye on the prize of graduating, and riding it out. I wish you all the best.

@Ilija As an educator, I understand that you are stuck in your classroom. In my country, you can ask for special accommodations from the teacher if you have a special need. Is that possible for you? You have the right idea about keeping your eye on the prize of graduating, and riding it out. I wish you all the best.
No, if it weren't for these 3-4 idiots everything would be fine.
My hyperacusis was never really bad and it has only gotten better after time.
I'm not asking for any special accommodations, I'm just going to stick earplugs in every time there's a break while they're loud and during classes when they're quiet I'm fine.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now