Loud Metal Gate Slammed on Ear, Pressure & Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by shasta0863, Aug 23, 2015.

1. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      So I've been recovering from increased T 2 and half months ago from what I believe was a wood saw. So I'm pretty sure my ears are already insanely worse off than before and damaged.

Now, last night around 8pm, I was leaving the pool area near my home and my fingers slipped and I didn't catch the large metal door which slammed shut. It was LOUD. I felt immediately the fullness/pressure feeling in my right ear (it slammed a foot away from directly my right ear facing it) followed by a sore/painful feeling. The T feels a bit different too, low static that I've never heard before.

This is absolutely DEVASTATING for me. Dealing with increased T from before was one thing I was barely able to cope and deal with, hoping it will go back down. Now with this, I fear I've permanently damaged my right ear even worse.

I'm terrified this pressure/fullness means hearing loss, as that is a symptom I've read you have with hear loss.

Is it worth getting a steroid shot right away in that ear, I don't know what to do. I was semi-feeling better yesterday with my ears and this happen...I can't take much more. I'm terrified to just leave it and hope it repairs by itself. I think my ears are too damaged and volatile to recover from something like this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Maybe a course of prednisone ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Will that help with the fullness? I'm concerned to take something that may make my T worse. Currently the pressure feeling is the worst and I'm not sure if I should give it a few days or instantly go in and get a treatment like predinsone.

I don't know what to do, because soreness + pressure feeling = extremely bad sign in my mind. T is relatively similar now, maybe slight difference. I'm not sure if I should wait or rush in to get something... can't believe I have to deal with this.

4. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I know how you feel man, has happened to me many times, it's been everything you can imagine, even large metal gates in a parking garage. Lately since I cycle outdoors there are loud motorbikes that go by very close.

I suggest you maybe have a dose of NAC pills, apparently it is supposed to be effective even after noise exposure.
      Link: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine-nac.395/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've read NAC is only good if you take it for strengthening the ears for future traumas that could happen.

I'm on the fence and might try prednisone, thought scared of side effects tbh.

I guess I just don't understand WHAT this is. A loud noise right in my ear causing a pressure like feeling and some soreness. Never had this before with out acoustic trauma's. Utterly terrified.

6. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I've been surprised by a loud noise such as you have and I have also had the ear fullness afterwards. It usually has gone away within a day or two, so you should be fine. Try not to panic and keep yourself occupied , you will be fine.

7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I have almost constant ear pressure/fullness but loud sounds will definetly bring it on if it's not present at that particular time.
      I'm not sure why is this happening either.
      Stupid ears:(

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thanks, I wonder if this is related to Tensor Tympani Syndrome?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Get an ENT to check. Perhaps you have a burst eardrum or something causing the pain?

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Ear pain and pressure are common symptoms of noise trauma.

I recommend seeking medical advice.