Loud Sudden Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by sven1987, Feb 25, 2018.

1. sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Recently I’ve been contemplating about changing jobs. Everyday at work I’m exposed to loud sudden noises such as hammers hitting metal, power tools being used, people dropping heavy boxes, the horn on the forklift, etc. I’ve never had tinnitus spikes from anything other than these sounds. In my private life I can at least control the sound levels I’m exposed to, but at work I can’t always avoid them, even though I’m always cautious. Right now I’m having this spike because I was exposed to 2 loud sudden sounds at work. One was someone hitting a sheet of metal with a hammer about 10 feet from where I was standing and the other one was someone dropping a 50 pound crate onto the floor.

Can sounds like this permanently worsen tinnitus? Is the most reasonable thing for me to do to find another job?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If it was me id seriously consider it. Its just not the kind of environment for someone with your condition. Eventually you will suffer for it listen to what your body is telling you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions here but let's just say that you're not helping your tinnitus with what you described. Unless you're protecting your ears, I believe that it can make your tinnitus worse. But that's my opinion. Whether it's reasonable to find another job (or career), I think only you can answer that.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It seems to me that it is reasonable to assume that after one is exposed to those sounds long enough, T can get permanently worse. If I were you, I would look for a different job, especially if it is not very difficult for you to get a new career/job.