Low Hum in Ear — Strange Case?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rob Marshall, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Rob Marshall
      Fine

Rob Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I have several sounds in both ears combined - the usual Morse Code;tinkling bells, etc. But I also have
      an usual case with my right ear. The ear hums - getting louder if exposed to loud noise, etc, before returning to
      its base level. But if I stick my finger into that ear then I can no longer hear the hum. If I wiggle my finger in that ear before pulling it out then the ear will be silent for several seconds, before the humming returns even louder - before returning to its base line level 10 minutes or so later.

The humming is only noticeable at very quiet times - mainly at night. But it is quite easy to mask out if I turn the extractor fan on or just stick my head out of the window.

I would love to know if anybody else has had (or has) a similar problem.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Rob,
      I have a high tinnitus sound in both ears but get a low hum when get a cold virus but never stays....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Rob, I have this same hum. Unfortunately, it started low like you describe yours...but two years after it got much louder and now I can hear it everywhere. Masking is possible when air conditioning is on, near fridge, when in the car, when airplanes go by, with fan on and such. Below is a good article to read.

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/humming-sound-in-your-head.shtml

4. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I experience a low hum when I am in a room with a fan, hear my car air conditioner, or the dryer. When it's quiet, I hear PT which often drowns out other sounds. Sort of the opposite of when you hear the hum.