Lucid Dreaming and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Sound Wave, Apr 10, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Sound Wave:

I occasionally experience lucid dreams. The thing with me, however, is that my tinnitus vanishes at night. It certainly has never been present in any of my dreams, lucid or otherwise, since I developed tinnitus over three years ago.

-Golly

3. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      Interesting topic. Subconscious mind is an amazing thing. And Lucid Dreaming there must be some sort of interaction between our conscious and subconscious mind. If we can solve this puzzle and if we can find a way to control the subconscious portion of our mind somehow, we may even solve the tinnitus issue permanently.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your T like dissapears while your layin in bed at night or while your sleeping? Mine does the same

5. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Grace:

Both. Typically when I wake up to go to the bathroom in the early morning, I have no tinnitus at all. It's after I have been standing for a minute that it settles in.

-Golly

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Woahh thats crazy mine only lasts for like a sec or two then the fuzzyness apears in the bacround again. But yours just proves that something in the body turns it off!

7. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I realise this is an old thread - but wanted to comment. I've had several lucid dreams recently. I cannot recall having any before., although I was aware and interested in the concept. I've read that the AD mirtazapine can cause 'vivid dreams' and I'm on a small dose at night. I also take melatonin to aid sleep. I'm thinking these may have assisted me in having these experiences. I remember looking around and knowing I was dreaming. I reached down to touch the grass to see if it would feel the same as in real life, and it really did. I was surprised as everything felt so real. And the good news is I didn't have any T. :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Eleanor
      Tolerant

Eleanor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/fibromyalgia/ lupus/ anxitey/Lymes
      I always lucid dream and my t never is present only if it wakes me otherwise I can almost always lucid dream

9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I can lucid dream, I learned as a kid. I have been using it to try and control my T. This morning for example I woke up with it pretty loud and I could get it to turn off by going in to a dream state and trying to hold myself there as long as possible.

After going back and forth a few times I got the tone to change to a lower tone, and it kind of trembled a bit, like a trill in music.

I would highly recommend anyone try lucid dreaming. Just type it in to your favourite search engine. When you sleep your auditory cortex shuts down. You're tinnitus FREE!

• Like Like x 1
    10. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don`t think it shuts down , I hear T in dreams ... and you still need to be aware for sounds to protect yourself ...

11. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes you're right, the plot thickens. I wonder why some of us can hear our T and some not?

I looked at this paper Sensory Responses during Sleep in Primate Primary and Secondary Auditory Cortex and it seems the idea that the Thalamus acts as a gate during sleep has now been disproven. So I was acting on old information. It looks more complicated than that and as you say the brain would have to be aware to protect itself from any threats.

One rule if you have a baby in the house is keep the background sound consistent. Any sudden changes in volume are more likely to wake the baby.

Another strange phenomena from experience is waking up with the radio on and having dreams about the content playing on the radio. Then waking up to realise that you were dreaming about that song or what they were talking about. So clearly it's not either or, there is some discrimination that the brain is making and changing the kind of inputs it's responding too.