Magnesium Dramatically Reduced My Lamictal / Ibuprofen-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Gary Goodson, May 23, 2021.

1. Gary Goodson

Gary Goodson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications
      About three months ago I developed tinnitus after taking Lamictal and Ibuprofen. The tinnitus was at about 4/10 with spikes going higher - sometimes getting really loud and shrill. Mostly a "sssssssss" sound that tested at about 8,000 Hz. It was worse in my left ear. I followed directions for getting off of the medications as I had read that NSAIDs can cause tinnitus, and that Lamictal can (rarely cause it too). I also started to reduce the stress by listening to tinnitus masking audio recordings on YouTube. I am very grateful as this gave me some immediate relief and a sense of control. Meditation and mindfulness are also good - I believe that we are not our thoughts and we are not our tinnitus.

Later, I'd read on Tinnitus Talk about trying an Epsom Salt bath (Magnesium sulfate). I sat in the tub for about 1/2 an hour and noticed that the tinnitus was reduced about 40%! I was REALLY surprised. Now the sound was at a higher pitch - and quieter by about 50-60% I was really encouraged by this improvement.

I then moved on to taking Magnesium supplements about three weeks ago - There are so many brands but I take Nature Made 400 mg Extra Strength. One gel cap a day. I also continued the meditation as it lessened the stress.

Currently my tinnitus is down by 90%. I can hear but it is not really that bothersome.

Anyway, I posted this in the hopes that it might help others.

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    2. BILZER

BILZER Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline
      I have been taking Magnesium plus Melatonin every night before bed. I am going on 1 year of tinnitus with hyperacusis in June and am interested if you think that the baths are helping?

3. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @BILZER, for your information, Magnesium/Epsom salt baths make my ears way more sensitive/spikes me. Several others have reported the same. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't work for you.

4. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Now that you say this I might have noticed the same. I can’t put a finger on it but my hyperacusis comes and goes, almost completely some days. I am going to start tracking my magnesium intake and see if it correlates to that.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gary Goodson

Gary Goodson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications
      I'm sorry to hear that the Epsom salt baths made your tinnitus worse/spiked.

I can't say for certain that the Epsom salt baths helped me, but will say that from the day I tried this treatment I noticed significantly decreased tinnitus sound levels. From a "4/10" level "ssssssssss" sound in my left ear to maybe a "1-1/2".

Additionally, my tinnitus further dramatically - and consistently decreased - two weeks into a very low carb/no sugar/no dairy diet.

The other thing I did, that everyone here already knows to do, is that I stopped taking any NSAIDs - absolutely none since March of this year with the onset of my tinnitus.

My tinnitus had started immediately after stopping use of the prescription drug Lamictal. Maybe my tinnitus would have faded no matter what I did - but I like to think that these changes helped.

Today my tinnitus is barely noticeable - I don't mean habituation - I mean it is 95% gone.

• Like Like x 4
    6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      So happy for you!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Ben H
      Confused

Ben H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - NSAIDs or Amitriptyline
      I'm in a similar boat with NSAID induced tinnitus. I'll have to try an Epsom salt bath. I've not given Magnesium a fair shot either.

8. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Epsom Salt bath spikes my tinnitus - but for others it may be good. Especially if you are low in Magnesium (which I am not).

9. Sandra Menzie

Sandra Menzie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss left ear. 60%
      Wow. I also take generic Lamictal and have been for over 20 years due to a seizure I had. I was taking Ibuprofen also. I stopped the Ibuprofen. The doctor says to still take Lamictal.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Could it be the type of Magnesium you have taken that might be an issue. I religiously take Magnesium Threonate and never had an issue with it, but have read to stay away from citric and aspartate forms of Magnesium, as they may be neuro excitatory.

I did also read on this forum that Magnesium can potentially drive down cortisol. Not sure if that would have an effect?

11. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      May be, I'm not sure - but I've tried many forms (also Threonate), and they all make tinnitus/hyperacusis somewhat more shrill. I guess it get more than enough magnesium through my diet as well.

Cortisol might be a key factor here as you mention - keeping the cortisol levels balanced.

12. Lan2021!

Lan2021! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Gary! My tinnitus started about three months ago as well as a result of accidentally allowing a nurse to give me an injection of 30 mg of Toradol (Ketorolac) medication.

My tinnitus has always been relatively mild in comparison, but rather bothersome. I've improved quite a bit in the past few months and it seems as if the sound has definitely died down.

I will try taking some Magnesium too because I believe I am a bit low on that.

I was wondering seven months later if your tinnitus is still there and was also wondering how much Ibuprofen you took in the past?

Hoping this is not a permanent case for us NSAID induced tinnitus sufferers!

13. LeoCat

LeoCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline i think
      I am one month in from post Doxycycline tinnitus in one ear. I am curious if yours got any better?

14. Jackson Brady
      Wishful

Jackson Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different medications
      Magnesium has worked wonders for my Pregabalin induced tinnitus too. It’s a game changer, it reduced my tones and my hyperacusis is like 70% better.

15. Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      What type of Magnesium are you taking? Currently I've been taking Glycinate but I'm wondering if another version is better.

16. Jackson Brady
      Wishful

Jackson Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different medications
      I first tried a combined Magnesium supplement of Citrate + Lactate + Aspartate. That helped a lot. Then I went on to Malate for some time, which was not so helpful but I had slight improvements. Then I switched back to the combined one and my recovery boosted again. Currently my hyperacusis is like 85% better, I can tolerate most things but still not able to tolerate my hair dresser’s clipping machine, haha.

17. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Are you sure your tinnitus is medication related? Per two ENTs I've seen, medication induced tinnitus is typically bilateral.

• Like Like x 1
    18. hopefuldede

hopefuldede Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Can you link the Magnesium you got? I can’t seem to find that combination. Perhaps it’s not available in the UK (for me).

19. LeoCat

LeoCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline i think
      I just figured it was, since I have read Doxycycline can cause tinnitus. I was on 100 mg a day for 4 months straight. I got off of it at the end of February, so a couple of months ago. I am 40 years old and have never had any ear issues, save for the occasional ear pop after blowing nose when I have bad allergies. As much as I try not to obsess over it, the idea of it eventually going away is like a fantasy. I am also not so optimistic about going to a doctor yet. Almost every ENT story I have read or heard about is basically a useless journey. I don't even have health insurance so I'm just trying to live with it. It's depressing. I can't even exercise anymore because my tinnitus rages after that.

20. Jackson Brady
      Wishful

Jackson Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different medications
      It's from GNC brand. Not marketing anything, only telling because you asked. It's called Super Magnesium.

• Like Like x 1