Magnesium... Seems to Be Helping, Questions on Dosing

Discussion in 'Support' started by mexigrl64, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Hi all,

I'm pretty shocked but I started the magnesium chelate yesterday at 400 mg and my T is there but quieter today. I took it at night as I read through the forums and people mentioned it was a sleep aid. I did sleep for 4-5 hours so that's a start :)

When looking at dosing it looks like most people take it twice a day. I have MS and suffer from fatigue so I'm cautious about taking anything during the day that would make me more tired. However, if I need to take 2 doses then I will. I'm wondering for those taking it, does the morning dose make you tired throughout the day?

Thanks!

2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I take magnesium daily as well. 400mg

It helps brain and headaces and tinnitus.. well so I've heard. I'm sure it helps a little in the long run so why not.

3. I take mag glycinate. The best form. I don't get tired whatsoever and have no side effects like I did for years on the other useless forms.

I also take 560 mg × 4 a day.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000

I'm taking chelated magnesium, however it is magnesium glycinate. It seems from the reading I've done that would be a good choice. Hopefully it will!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      is magnsium chelate similiar to magnesium oxide?

So what is the best source of magnesium? can enlighten me.

6. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I have been taking magnesium chloride 520mg a day and it makes me very sleepy that is i take it before bed time.
      If i take it during the day yes it makes me sleepy and tired and very relaxed. So I avoid it during the working hours.

7. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Magnesium chelate is different form of magnesium than oxide. Your body will absorb better the chelate form.

8. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I will have to bump up my mag 400mg tab intake. 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night starting today.

9. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Currently taking magnesium oxide, b12 Methylcobalamin and multi vit. So far T is getting better. However, the problem is I not sure which is helping so I am still taking all3

10. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      No disrespect but any talk of taking "this" yesterday and being better "today" means nothing when it comes to T
      Just talking from experience :)
      Having said that , it might help in the long run , best of luck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. I do too. It's bisglycinate. I also want to make clear I do not take mag for T or H. It's for pain.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      RaZah that was kind of unnecessary wasn't it? If I took something and it seemed to make things even a tiny bit better isn't it OK that I believe it is working? That is what dealing with T is all about. Finding ways to live with it. If you don't have anything to add perhaps just let the question stand on it's own? I mean no disrespect to you either but I' just trying to stay positive!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Possibly ...then again you are saying on a public forum that magnesium might help T which I disagree with .
      I guess we have different opinions about what dealing with T is all about.
      I actually feel that I was adding something to the discussion by saying that a supplements effect on T cannot be measured on a day to day basis. T is way too varied for that and makes anecdotal evidence way less reliable as opposed to something that has shown to be effective over a longer period of time.

Having said that , you might be right , maybe I should not say anything?
      I am not being rude , its hard to express yourself on a forum like this.

EDIT: Thinking about this a bit more , It is quite possible that it might work for someone right away so , lets hope that is what is happening in your case . :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @mexigrl64 @RaZaH
      There are so many reasons for T and so many supplements, no one can ever test all combinations.
      I myself take NAC, Cat's Claw and some other stuff.
      I started again with Magnesium (1000 mg per day). Will see how far I can go.
      One day T is milder, one day is hell.
      So if it helps for you, continue with it. If not, try something else.
      But do not give up after some days. Try for weeks or even months.

15. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Any know if a short course of ibrufen/aspirin and antibiotics will make t worse ?

16. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @Martin69
      I take nothing at all and its the same for me , some days are bearable some days are not.

@uae96 , Ibuprofen is ototoxic as far as I can tell .Some people report getting T fromIbuprofen, albeit from 2 weeks usage or so.

17. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Is there different between ibrufen and brufen?

18. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @RaZaH
      Problem with me is that I have other issues besides T (for example exhaustion, gaining weigth, red face because of high blood pressure?). So I don't know if it is only T making all my problems. Of course I assume some symptoms are because of T, anxiety, depression and high tension.

Nevertheless since I cannot change T, I try improving the other things by doing more sports, eating healthy, supplements etc. At least after doing sports, I feel a lot better. But when doing sports, T spikes even more, so this is not always fun. :-(

19. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I completely agree, if you feel something helps, stick with it for a few weeks at least :)

20. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      Not true at all. Some people may have a nutritional deficiency for which a new supplement might help with all sorts of body healing and function. The time it takes water to hydrate is under an hour. Micro nutrients become active in the bloodstream in as short a time as 30minutes. Do you know how long it takes magnesium to become bioactive from experience? Are you formerly magnesium deficient? When tinnitus abates completely it is often suddenly. Abrupt biological morbidity and remission is not that unusual.

21. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I take 800 mg everyday for a month now , can't tell if it's helping but t is a notch lower than what it was before , maybe some other thing making it like that I'm not sure , but 800 mg sure helps me sleep 10 hours which I've never slept that much before in my life

22. Andy G

Andy G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Food Allergies, Stress, Neck Trauma
      This is an interesting forum. I think there are many things that cause Tinnitus and at times several things work in chorus. In my case I have both permanent scar tissue in my neck from whiplash years ago which I have treated with ultrasound and acupuncture. Immediately the Chinese doctor said he saw the problem was around my ear and focused his attention there. It is really bad in my right ear after seasonal weather changes and I have noted that I am allergic to wheat.

I was never given proper diagnosis by any Western physician who all said I was "stressed out". I paid at my expense for the comprehensive food allergy test and was then told I have wheat allergies. Cut out the wheat, and my chronic asthma, eczema and tinnitus either go away completely or become mild to unnoticeable.

I have been eating these new mini bagels at the coffee house and they are wheat. Several days of this combined with congestion and barometric pressure changes has irritated my Eustachian tube I believe and so my treatment is antihistamines, coffee (stimulates circulation), lots of water, yoga and cutting out the wheat again for a while. Lots of Gluten Free options now which is good.

I no longer believe it is related to hypertension, however I do 'get' tense when it is bad, so I can see why there might be the diagnosis. I wrote a similar post last Christmas so clearly, it is seasonal, and can be treated with proper understanding of food allergies, weather, and my spinal/neck trauma which adds pressure to my cranial muscles.

23. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      How is your story related to Magnesium, topic at hand?