Magnolol Bark Exerts Antiepileptic Effects via the GABA/Benzodiazepine Receptor

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Magnolol, a major bioactive constituent of the bark of Magnolia officinalis, exerts antiepileptic effects via theGABA/benzodiazepine receptor complex in mice.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:
      The aim of this study was to evaluate the anti-convulsant effects of magnolol (6, 6', 7, 12-tetramethoxy-2, 2'-dimethyl-1-β-berbaman, C18H18O2) and the mechanisms involved.

EXPERIMENTAL APPROACH:
      Mice were treated with magnolol (20, 40 and 80 mg·kg(-1)) 30 min before injection with pentylenetetrazol (PTZ, 60 mg·kg(-1), i.p.). The anti-seizure effects of magnolol were analysed using seizure models of behaviour, EEG and in vitro electrophysiology and c-Fos expression in the hippocampus and cortex.

KEY RESULTS:
      Magnolol at doses of 40 and 80 mg·kg(-1) significantly delayed the onset of myoclonic jerks and generalized clonic seizures, and decreased the seizure stage and mortality compared with those of the vehicle-treated animals. EEG recordings showed that magnolol (40 and 80 mg·kg(-1)) prolonged the latency of seizure onset and decreased the number of seizure spikes. The anti-epileptic effect of magnolol was reversed by the GABA(A)/benzodiazepine receptor antagonist flumazenil. Pretreatment with flumazenil decreased the effects of magnolol on prolongation of seizure latency and decline of seizure stage. In a Mg(2+)-free model of epileptiform activity, using multi-electrode array recordings in mouse hippocampal slices, magnolol decreased spontaneous epileptiform discharges. Magnolol also significantly decreased seizure-induced Fos immunoreactivity in the piriform cortex, dentate gyrus and hippocampal area CA1. These effects were attenuated by pretreatment with flumazenil.

CONCLUSIONS AND IMPLICATIONS:
      These findings indicate that the inhibitory effects of magnolol on epileptiform activity were mediated by theGABA(A) /benzodiazepine receptor complex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21518336

Magnolol, a major bioactive constituent of the bark of Magnolia officinalis, induces sleep via the benzodiazepine site of GABA(A) receptor in mice.

Magnolia bark extract has powerful stress busting effects, largely due to “honokiol” a well-studied and potent anxiolytic. It works similarly to prescription medications like alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), diazepam (Valium), and lorazepam (Ativan). Both magnolia and prescription sedatives work by increasing levels of GABA, a relaxing hormone that helps calm and soothe an overactive brain. The difference is that honokiol is picky and works in specific areas of the brain (raising GABA). The net effect is relaxation. Prescription drugs affect GABA receptors throughout your entire body, causing systemic side effects such morning hangover effect, muscle weakness, daytime fatigue and more. Magnolia, being more selective, should not produce these problems, and should not make you feel doped up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22771461

• Like Like x 5
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      If the Mechanism of Action is similar to benzodiazepines, there may be potential for withdrawal symptoms/worsening of tinnitus?

3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      This has been around for quite some time. Info on drugs.com. Better info on Examine.com.

Supplements on Amazon.com. Sounds like a product worth trying. I have a terrible time staying asleep, and often have difficulty falling asleep since tinnitus onset.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Just keep your money.

There is a reason why those supplements are sold freely on Amazon and why benzodiazepines are scheduled drugs.

My rule of thumb: the illegality of substance X is directly proportional to its effectiveness. It should be an axiom really.

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I don't know if that's always true. Aspirin is incredibly effective for its intended purposes. If it were discovered in modern times, though, Big Pharma would put a $25 price on each pill.

I took the time to read a lot of the reviews for this supplement on Amazon and other sites, as well, just to get an overview of its touted efficacy. Seems like either it works or it doesn't. One reviewer mentioned it helped her mother sleep because her mother had a high nighttime cortisol level. Apparently it affects cortisol, which is interesting. Or maybe it just does for that woman, who knows.

For $15, I'm willing to try it. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones. I would love to sleep through the night again. :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. texrat

texrat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tire explosion
      Don't be so hasty. I just started using Magnolia extract and I can confirm it works exactly like Valium on me: helps sleep, reduces stress and tinnitus intensity. As the original poster revealed, studies are bearing out the benzo behavior of the chief ingredients, Magnolol and Honokiol.

I'm still trying to find the right dose for me (somewhere under 100 mg) that helps me sleep but also lets me hear the alarm in the morning. Sleep with this stuff is deeper than that under Melatonin for me.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Where do you get your extract please? Would a store like Whole Foods have it or is online better?

8. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Has anybody had any success with this at all? The one poster above made his account on the day of his 1 post, so excuse my scepticism regarding another possible herbal remedy.

EDIT: Heck, I just ordered some. What's money for anyway... I will report back if these bark pills do a damn thing. PS. I doubt they will.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      Did it work?

11. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Not that I really noticed. I took it for about a month :)

12. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Anyone else try Magnolia Bark? I'm curious to see if anyone else has any input, thinking about adding some to my stack.

13. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      It made a very weak impact on me, personally.

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting. I am mostly interested in using this as an alternative to Ativan 0.5 mg, which I sparingly use when I am very anxious. I saw that this can have similar effects as benzos so I was kind of interested in that.

15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Subunits and expression in brain areas matter. A benzo which binds with subunit affinity to "those" receptors along the tinnitus path makes the most sense.

Without subunit info and a benzo which "works for you" to compare its subunit binding, this is all pretty crap. It could in fact make things worse, as GABA doesn't just inhibit nerves, it will inhibit "inhibitory" nerve firing paths too. For seizures it's an emergency so a carte blanche method is used which hits all receptors of all types... but about 1/3 of your brain pathways are inhibitory.

I found Zopiclone working amazeballs, but leaves me much worse off later. I think it targets a1 and a5 subunits the most. I know Ativan is NOT the same thing (though it looks the same, binding is different, furthermore I actually get worse on Ativan with random noises that seem like they should be held back).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Yes for me it was like 1/20 of a benzo.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was thinking about trying Zopiclone but I didn't want to become dependent on it.

Have you heard of Dayvigo? Apparently it is similar to Ambien but does not have any dependency. Might ask my doc for a script.

18. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      It might make you sleepy but apparently doesn't work that well. It's a very new drug so who knows (and $$). It targets orexin receptors. Doubt it'll have any effect on tinnitus.

Yah I've heard dependency is low for it too, unavailable in Canada though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I might have to try Dayvigo, I would use it for sleep though, not for tinnitus reduction. I'm also still thinking about buying some Magnolia Bark to see if it has an anti-anxiety effect.
      Yeah this thread is part of the reason why I asked. Seems pretty harmless though some people have problems with sleep paralysis. Think I will ask my doctor for a script at one point.