Management of the Tinnitus Patient Course - University of Iowa

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, May 28, 2014.

1. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/oto/tinnituscourse/

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious if anyone is planning to attend this this year. I am going to get over there. Iowa City is only a 2 hour drive from me here in Des Moines and I think it will be a great experience to hear so many experts speak. I'll take great notes! :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I see that @Dr. Gans is a special speaker this year. I'll be sure to be at your presentation Dr. Gans!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Dr. Hubbard will be in attendance as well. You will have a whole TT contingent!

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    4. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I'm going. I live here in Cedar Rapids and my wife works at the hospital.

• Like Like x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Afraid Iowa is a long way from South Florida. But I look forward to your notes, @Hudson. A lot of good topics.

6. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Very interested to hear a report back from you guys who are attending!! Thanks in advance!!

:rockingbanana:

7. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Hudson, Is this the first time you have gone?

8. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oh my gosh, looks like a great place to be for information.

9. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Did a search, 8hrs from my house, if I can clear work would love to attend too.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, this will be my first time. I got roped into work last year over the weekend when this happened. I think I'll be able to attend on Saturday.

11. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Hudson, Is there a reason you want to hear what Dr. Gans has to say? This is my first time but not that up to date with the speakers.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm interested in hearing anyone speak that I have time for. @Dr. Gans posts on TT occasionally, and I thought it would be nice to connect a person with their research and expertise.

13. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Just a reminder that parking at the hospital is terrible and expensive. I would download where the parking ramps are. There doing more construction(they always are)so it will be tricky to find them. And watch your speed limit cause they always have speed traps set up. Seriously when the speed limit is 25mph don't be going 26mph. They will nail you.

https://www.uihealthcare.org/parking-and-wayfinding/ Parking ramp 4 is a good one. Will see you there.

14. Dr. Gans

Dr. Gans Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi Hudson, be sure to come up to me and introduce yourself! I'm looking forward to the meeting. There are some really good speakers coming and I have found that the Iowa Conference is the only one like it that really gets the audience up-to-date on management tools that are available. Be sure to come say hi.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

15. Dr. Gans

Dr. Gans Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      And that goes for anyone there. Please come up and introduce yourself. It will be so fun to actually see TT faces in person! Like Dr. Nagler mentioned, there should be a strong TT contingent there :)

16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Here's a list of the course's corporate sponsors. Auris Medical is one of them.

Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 4.34.13 PM.png

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    18. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Thanks for sharing.

However, since I have an "all or nothing" personality, then there is nothing on the agenda which makes me rush to sign up.

I did like the 4th practicum slot (aimed at doctors, I assume): When my patient makes me feel helpless... It seems to me that doctors have no need for further training in this area as they all adequately master the phrase "learn to live with it...".

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Yup, that what they say! They do not have a clue, sad, since so many people suffer with T

20. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, just a minute there ...

The clinicians attending that conference already know a lot and want to know even more. That's why they're spending the time and money to go in the first place!

But that's not to say they cannot from time to time be frustrated in their efforts to help tinnitus sufferers.

I know a fair bit about tinnitus myself - but on occasional I still feel helpless, especially when I make a carefully considered recommendation that my patient flat out rejects. What am I supposed to do then, huh? Jump for joy?

Doctors are human. That doesn't mean they're clueless.

Stephen Nagler

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I agree @Dr. Nagler, this conference is proof in and of itself that there are many clinicians willing to learn more about the condition. They are taking their time and money to do it as well.

22. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Dr. Nagel, sorry my apology!, just got frustrated for a minute, I know it is not easy for them..but you know human nature..we want everything yesterday my humble apology!
      I get dizzy and have a balance problem with my t, does some people get dizzy and wobbley with having T ..let me know Thanks!

23. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
    24. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Hudson, here's a story that you may find to be of interest ...

There's a very nice guy I've known through various tinnitus boards for some eight years now; he still posts every once in a while. This fellow and I have communicated on numerous occasions via postings and also via private messaging. He is a big fan of masking, but masking was not really getting him where he wanted to go in the long run. I explained my thoughts to him on this matter and made some suggestions, which he rejected. He was also at one point absolutely convinced that the drug Campral was the solution to his problems. I was very skeptical and explained why. But he insisted it was working - until months later he realized it wasn't. His story of trying this and trying that, only to become increasingly frustrated, so moved me that even though he lives in a different part of the country, on two occasions when my travels took me to his home state I offered to meet with him face to face at no charge, even offering to pick up the dinner tab. He was not interested in meeting with me or hearing what I might have to say.

Well, in his post #19 in this thread @alifalijohn seems to make light of doctors' feeling helpless. I have to tell you how helpless this fellow I'm talking about has made me feel over the years. Because had he ever taken my suggestions seriously, likely he would not still be on the boards today looking for answers.

Stephen Nagler

25. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Apology accepted. I just hope everybody keeps in mind that we're all on the same side here.

Stephen Nagler

26. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14

27. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Will keep that in mind..much appreciated!

28. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi yes I have the balance problem,had it now 3 years continuously,5 years plus since the tinnitus began,but I do suffer from Rhinitis as well,I have tried exercises,tablets to no avail.Recently I've been wearing Magnets on both wrist(1 month) sad to say that's not been of help.Strange as to why some get this balance issue whilst others don't.
      I put it down to different degrees of tinnitus.but why I got it after 5 years is another of this conditions mysteries.
      So your not alone,I'm on a popular UK site ( I'm a Brit ) one chap has gone back to wearing an old pair of glasses,and now says his balance has got a lot better .Maybe clue there,will see how he's doing still in weeks time,he sounds happier to his balance issue.

29. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Indeed doctors do not have a clue when it comes to the inner ear and tinnitus. They could start by doing a proper audiology exam from 0 to 16 kHz - something 99.9% of the entire ENT community does not do. How can a doctor even attempt to treat a problem if they have not done a proper diagnosis? By doing the standard speech frequency range audiology tests, doctors are leaving out information on more than half of the entire inner ear's state of health! And where does this ignorance come from? It comes from the very beginning: med school. Med school breeds the same type of doctors over and over again - and much of the audiology knowledge doctors acquire during med school is based on information from half a century ago. No doubt there are young doctors out there who know better, but how likely is it for a young doctor to question their older superiors during med school? It's time to move into the 21st century.

So here's a suggestion for a couple of extra topics on the before mentioned agenda (and for the doctors attending - who apparently know so much already):

1) How to do an audiology exam.
      2) How to change the culture in med school.

Good luck with all that.

30. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Hudson, Off topic for this question. The tinnitus conference is this Friday and Saturday in Iowa City. Are you going both days? If not do you have a list of the people you want to hear speak. I see Saturday is people talking about tinnitus related items. Thanks!