Manual Ear Cleaning

Discussion in 'Support' started by quietatnight, May 26, 2016.

1. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hi Everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile but some of you may remember me. Things were going pretty good for a long time until this happened.

I had impacted ear wax for over a week and could not hear out of my left ear, so I went to my ENT to get the wax removed. I had it done manually as I have always done with no problems in the past. It took more time then usual and it was a little more painful experience then other times. When I got home my ears were so sore from all the probing that I couldn't even touch them they were so sore, everything was tender. But I figured it will be ok in a few days. Since then I have started to develop ear pain that I never had before, I just don't understand where it's coming from. Could the cleaning have done something to my ear drum or middle ear or something ? Every time he touched the ear drum during the cleaning I would get a sharp pain, but that always happens when I get my ears cleaned manually, and I have had it done over 50 times over the years like this with no problems. It all seemed normal to me, but now I regret having them cleaned at all now. Has anyone else here ever had this happen to them after a manual ear cleaning ? Will this ear pain go away in time ? it seems to come and go and sound has nothing to do with it. It's starting to effect my sleep. I looked up some of my symptoms and a lot of people talk about TTTS. I do have an odd sound in my left ear since the cleaning that is hard to describe. but sounds a lot like a TTTS related problem. It sounds like maybe the tube in the middle ear may be having problems as well, maybe it's clogged because I can hear something opening and closing at times. I hear a strange sound if I try and pop my ears sometimes, only in my left ear. The only good thing is that the cleaning had no effect on my tinnitus.

Any input would be appreciated, this is really starting to worry me. I hope that I posted this in the right place.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Why don't you just rinse your ears with warm water and a bit of soap !
      That must have worked for the first 20 years of your life no ?
      The wax is water soluble it's not like candle wax
      Our ears are designed to be cleaned by water there weren't any ears cleaning clinics 100,000 years ago

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I would be a lot more worried having someone else poking into my ears anyway ! And for what ?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bobby B

DUH... Don't you think that I tried warm water, and peroxide and a just about everything else before I went to the ENT ? You must have no idea what "impacted" means. I had to decide if I wanted to get the wax out out or stay deaf in that ear.

Thank's for being so supportive, I really need to say out of this place, it has really changed.

Unbelievable

Louie

Quietatnight

5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I use to get suction done every few months even though I hated it!Impacted wax is a real problem and using manual tools sometimes is more dangerous than suction as it gets very precarious near the ear drum.Either way it will settle there's no real way permanent damage could have been done unless they ruptured the ear drum.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill

Thank You ...

Yeah,,, I figured it will settle down in a few days, Most of the pain is already gone. Like I said before I have had it done manually most of my life, never a problem, For me, the one time that I had it done with suction it really caused a big spike, but that too finally settled down after awhile, this is just taking longer. What adds to the confusion is that I had a pretty bad acoustic trauma a few days before the cleaning so it's hard to say if this ear pain is from the cleaning, or the noise exposure. I may never know. What I do know is that my left ear still feels like it's full of wax when I am sleeping, I don't understand that.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What was the noise exposure Louie if that's ok to ask?

Yeah the suction isn't great,the last time I had it done I suffered an enormous spike!But then as faith would have it the noise exposure happened two days later giving me H as a result so I never really got a chance to recover from it:(

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill

What happened was a week before the ear cleaning I was doing fine. My girlfriend and I were just sitting in her car with the motor off and the key out of the ignition when she decided to check what time it was, so she pressed some button on her dash board to turn on the display when all the sudden the radio came on just about full blast. It sounded really loud. She did not know that the radio would come on with the key out and the ignition off, but it did. I jumped out of the car as fast as I could, but I think it was too much for me, I got an instant spike 5 minutes later. it seems to not be going back to my base line as it always does. And the really odd part is that I did have my ear plugs in at the time. I would have never guessed that the ear plugs weren't protection from something like that. I would have thought it was impossible to happen.

The next few days my ears started to clog up with impacted wax. That's when I went into the ENT for the cleaning. After that, I started to get ear pain. It's a little better now, I just hope it keeps getting better. I will most likely never know what was the problem, the noise or the cleaning.

What kind of noise exposure did you have after your cleaning ? I was just wondering, And did your Hyperacusis include any ear pain ? I don't know how I will get my ears cleaned next time around.

I hope that your having a nice holiday weekend

Louie

Quietatnight

• Hug Hug x 1