Marijuana / Cannabis and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Grant1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Or read the rest of what I wrote so you dont need to travel anywhere at all.....

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If you mean grow it yourself, I would have to travel to Oregon to buy the seeds ae well (and get arrested at the border).

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many of the best seeds come from Canada to start with. Just go to some terrible Dead cover band shows, or something. And, when I was in college, I accidentally transversed the canadian border in both directions with marijuana (without realizing I had it on me); the stakes are relatively high, but the actual risk is pretty low if you drive a decent car and don't fit into certain demographics.

Unfortunately, marijuana is not a panacea for tinnitus, or I'd be more gung-ho about this.

4. [ Qoute]="dan, post: 131525, member: 415"]If u find a no-thc source, lemme try it too?[/QUOTE]
      Medicinal -Tweed Inc.

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Medicinal -Tweed Inc.[/QUOTE]
      TWD Lot#1, is cbd to thc 4.37:0.2

They do require your doctor to fill out and fax them a medical marijuana authorization form...
      So its not like its legal without prescription in Canada. Its a much more serious offense than possession of Trobalt without prescription lol.

6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      if you really wanted this Dan then you can get the seeds and plant it and grow it on a window sill or something......simple

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      3 days ago I smoked weed .it increased my t a lot.did it permanent o just a spike ?

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're fine. You have not done any long-term damage to yourself. Cannabis is a potent drug, and taking it may result in a general disruption of homeostasis which can last for a few days up to a couple weeks in extreme cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. TWD Lot#1, is cbd to thc 4.37:0.2

They do require your doctor to fill out and fax them a medical marijuana authorization form...
      So its not like its legal without prescription in Canada. Its a much more serious offense than possession of Trobalt without prescription lol.[/QUOTE]

Yea..just getting that damn fax tho! but for me not really important ;) ..and here simple possesion under ×× forget LOTS of grams is a fine lol..I also have a friend in........" DEA"...not worried ..he calls me in hospital when I was really ill and says Sarah, two words -Medicinal Marijuana. .LOL.

10. Uhh not really...lol...not at all actually. .it's a very specific strain that only this company makes...Here in Canada its all corporate now..and I add, you can't grow weed in a window sill. ..have you ever seen a plant? lol
      let alone grown one? ..ok anyways. .moving on..

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, I was gonna say.. on a windowsill, you'll probably be lucky to get three grams of bud off an entire plant unless you live in California :D

There's a bunch of high CBD strains floating around now; the problem is that the analgesic (and probably anti-seizure) effects may not just relate to CBD content, there are at least 5 important cannabinoids, plus a bunch of terpanes and stuff which are barely documented.

I am inspired by how fast knowledge in this regard has grown since legalization started to happen, though. I think in 5 or 10 years we're going to have all kinds of novel genetics. If I ever end up living some place where it's legal to grow I definitely will, it's a very interesting plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Let alone having a plant growing in your window sill where it is illegal LOL (not very subtle ahahaha) .but I digress....and yes even in Cali, the plant yield would be shit...You got a decent sized window? lol...3 grams ahahhaha thats a long wait for a couple nights..

Go to Northern California ;) isn't it legal there? I made an Italian friend recently in Montréal who grows it, lives in North Cali.....ehhh he didn't say if
      it was legal haha..but I know it used to be..

of course there are grow closets too...one can grow anywhere ;) * not saying I have one* I am just knowlegable ;)

13. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Dont smoke it. If you dable with THC eat it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      CANNABIDIOL (CBD) Oil and NEUROINFLAMMATION

As a physician practicing in Arizona I am often asked for my thoughts on the subject of medical marijuana and whether it affects neuroinflammation. Like many physicians, I have no formal education in medical marijuana. However, I have seen the viral videos of children and adults with intractable seizures who became seizure free on cannabidiol oil. These are what are technically considered n=1 studies (anecdotal) but nonetheless quite impressive in convincing people that CBD Oil seems to have highly beneficial medical properties. Marijuana contains over 480 natural components. The two that have been best studied are the cannabinoids known as THC and CBD. THC is the chemical substance that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Cannabidiol (CBD) is another cannabinoid which is quite distinct in its properties from THC. CBD Oil, which is not psychoactive, is extracted from marijuana leaves. It is now legal in all 50 states and sold on the internet. CBD Oil is what is being used for the epileptic children in the Sanjay Gupta video ‘Weed’. Needing to answer patient questions, and to satisfy my own curiosity, I researched the link between CBD Oil and neuroinflammation. The CBD Oil patent application, which is held by the US government, states: “The present invention concerns pharmaceutical compounds and compositions that are useful as tissue protectants, such asneuroprotectants and cardioprotectants. The compounds and compositions may be used in the treatment of acute ischemic neurological insults or chronic neurodegenerative diseases.” US Patent 6.630,507 approved October 7, 2003 A more recent review of CBD oil comes to the same conclusion regarding neuroinflammation. “Cannabinoids are potent anti-inflammatory agents exerting their effects through induction of apoptosis, inhibition of cell proliferation, suppression of cytokine production and induction of T-regulatory cells (Tregs)”. The next important question is how safe is CBD Oil? From The Department of Health and Human Services: “Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention” “No signs of toxicity or serious side effects have been observed following chronic administration of cannibidiol to healthy volunteers (Cunha et al., Pharmacology 21:175-185, 1980), even in large acute doses of 700 mg/day (Consroe et al., Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 40:701-708, 1991)” Biotoxin illness is considered neuroinflammatory. I have previously detailed the link between biotoxin illness , neuroinflammation and psychiatric symptoms in my article entitled Brain on Fire. It appears that CBD Oil exerts neurological anti-inflammatory effects through several mechanisms, and may prove to be helpful in calming neuroexcitation. Research on its usefulness in epilepsy has been started and early results appear promising. This review covers the research for non-psychoactive CBD Oil (not THC). Please be aware that cannabis THC is associated with increasing psychiatric disorders including psychosis in vulnerable individuals depending on length and amount of exposure, as well as age at onset of use. Adolescents in particular seem to show the greatest negative effects from regular use of marijuana. Thereforefrom a psychiatric standpoint I cannot routinely recommend using THC products, medical or otherwise. However, based on the extensive body of research I have reviewed, CBD Oil does not appear to have any medically associated risks, and I cannot think of any medical objection for patients who wish to pursue further research on their own. More links here: 105 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Marijuana Medical Studies Involving Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts (1990 – 2012)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. PrimeTime

PrimeTime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/24/2012
      Cannabis oil has been a great anti-inflammatory for me. I just had to figure out which medium worked best for me, smoking was ok, eating took a while to feel affects an not sure if it helped as much but vaping has been my go to. I started when I watched this http://www.stonedtube.com/could-cannabis-oil-cure/

16. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I'm an experience user of cannabis on a daily basis for over 25 years now. I did a lot of research on the endocanabenoid system that we all equipt with.

I used to smoke about 5 grams a week of white widow which is a high THC strain. I had mild tinnitus since 2012. Last week my tinnitus got louder aand I noticed that the cannabis was making my tinnitus louder.
      To my knowledge this is because of the high THC content. THC makes you focussing on something in this case your Tinnitus. Also THC will slightly increase your blood pressure.

I'm a huge fan of the cannabis plant for several reasons. My last visit to a doctor was back in 2006 where an asshole doctor was puting on Effexor after a merely 5 minutes talk where I told him I was a bit depressed after my relationship ended. I was only on that garbage for 3 quater of a year and till this day I still have some of the site effects.

Also effexor can cause tinnitus as a side effect.

Cannabis have over 400 different compounds of which THC and CBD are the most important and well known.
      What it does is as follow our bodies are equipt with cbd1 and cbd2 receptors which we call the endocannabnoid system.

The compounds of the cannabis plant will attach itself to the receptors and will start to communicate with your imuumsystem, basically the compounds will instruct the imuum system to return to it's normal state. That's why cannabis works on a large number of problems like:

Touret syndrom
      epilepsy
      parkinson
      Ms
      seasures
      glaucoma
      Cancer

Yes CBD and THC in pure oil form can cure cancer! (google Rick simpson, run from the cure)

Also CBD is highly anti-flametory.

Since my tinnitus spiked I stopped smoking/vaporising because it made me more aware of my tinnitus, I will try a high CBD strain to see if this will be a different experience.

Let's not forget that ALL medicine around 1800 contained cannabis oil!

I will try CBD oil and see if that would improve my tinnitus but I'm a bit causiaus to use it in my ears. (anyone have experience with that?)

I know CBD oil without the THC does wonders for imsomnia so maybey it is worth to give it a try , if you find it difficult to sleep.

I'll keep you posted.

• Like Like x 4
    17. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Completely agree with you - and is it illegal to send seeds in the post? Not in europe but dont know abut canada or USA. Fitting the bill and decent car yes absolutely correct true....
      As for it not being helpful - please may I say that it does help some as it so relaxing and actually gives excellent and long sleep but everyone is different of course. Maybe it depends on what one is used to and what ones personality is like,,,who knows but I have spoken with plenty who use it and find it very beneficial....so as usual with T - for some it is good and for some it is bad.....no logic or rhyme or reason...

18. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      hi, it does increase my tinnitus, if i say, vaporize about 0.15 gram, there will be a slight spike that last for 4-5 hrs. if i vaposize about 0.07 gram, there will be just a minimal tinnitus, but combined with a lyrica, it helps me sleep well.
      that is less than 1/10 of a gram, means a gram will last you 10 days, and 30 grams will last 300 days. i also prepare an edible, and for that i use slightly more - around 0.4 grams for the edible so one ounce is good for around 3 months. i am using pink kush, which is an indica, and it has around 0.3% CBD and 20% THC. so that means less than 6 ounces per year, or one ounce is good for 2 months. if you take more than that, you will get a tinnitus spike, but it always goes away.
      all my cannabis is medical, prescribed, and purchased from a dispensary, so it is perfectly legal. i am really glad it is legal. sometimes, i won't take an edible, but instead take 1mg clonazepam and 50mg seroquel instead. that prevents me from getting a tolerance. i like to rotate them. i also take lyrica, which you do not get any tolerance for, and i've been taking 45 mg of mirtazapine and 2 tablets of valdoxan. i used to take 160mg mirtazapine, but i cut way back on that. i also used to take 300 - 400 mg of seroquel, and i've totally eliminated that as well, because cannabis is more effective for me. also, i use constant Restful Rain CD and the Dhali Lama CD at night.

also, the tinnitus from cannabis is different, and is not so annoying as what i have going in my head. i also believe that when the spike resolves, the ENTIRE tinnitus level is less than what it used to be, so i am quite sure it is at least not harmful, and for me it is helpful. it is just a bit scary when you take it for the first time and you get this spike and you think you've ruined your life, but even with WAY too much, and i think i'm going to die from O.D., the trip always comes down, and everything is good afterwards. The same is NOT true for Seroquel/Mirtazapine - if you O.D. on those, you are headed for death and autopsy, so not fun. also, combination of cannabis and the above meds, is also hazardous, so please be sure to use MINIMAL effective doses. Even too much lyrica combined with cannabis can create an O.D. so I am super cautious with making sure the amount is correct. Buy a very good and accurate scale from Amazon, for your cannabis dosing, and alway start with SMALL doses, so you can see what the effect is. I used to think that 1g per day way alright, but now i see that i at too much, i use a total of 1/2 g. per day if you count the edible and what i vaporize.

19. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey, I'm also a cannabis enthusiast, but I think we should be careful with comments like this. I have read several accounts over the years from people who claim to have developed permanent tinnitus either as a consequence of cannabis use, or a consequence of withdrawal from cannabis after really extended high-dose use.

Given that the current neurological model of tinnitus strongly implicates dysfunction in cannabinoid receptors in the DCN as being an integral part of the development of the disorder, I do not believe that it is reasonable to assume that use of exogenous ligands of those receptors, may not create or worsen the disease.

These papers provides a reasonable background in the current thinking: http://www.jscholaronline.org/articles/JPDM/Cannabis-Cannabinoids-and-Tinnitus.pdf
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595515300368

The general theme that I've seen in discussions of this exact topic on various drug/neurochem forums is that in general, tinnitus may be a strong contraindication for cannabis use.

20. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quote from the above: Given that the current neurological model of tinnitus strongly implicates dysfunction in cannabinoid receptors in the DCN as being an integral part of the development of the disorder, I do not believe that it is reasonable to assume that use of exogenous ligands of those receptors, may not create or worsen the disease.

Reply: This is what happens with me:
      1. I carefully weigh out 0.1 g of Pink Kush, Indica strain, 20%THC 0.17%CBD.
      2. I used my vaporizer set at 185C.
      3. the effect is pretty mild, but it takes the edge off.
      4. tinnitus may *seem* slightly louder, but when I listen to the Restful Rain CD for comparison, it usually is not louder.
      5. I also take lyrica with it.

For one night of use, I go through o.2g which means 1g lasts for 5 days, and 30g or one ounce
      is good for 150 days.

I think people that report permanent tinnitus after taking cannabis, probably listened to too much loud music at the same time.

it has happened to me, if I exceed the dose, my tinnitus sounds like an alarm clock inside my head. however, the next day, my tinnitus actually is quieter. so the effects are very complex, i believe it is dose dependent, and strain dependent, and dependent on how you take it.

I have taken cannabis through a pipe, which is like smoking a joint, and when i do that, my tinnitus spike will last for weeks, and makes me totally miserable. So please NEVER smoke it, just use vaporizer, or an edible.

the edible that I prepare, is using mixed Indica shake, which I heat in the oven to convert THC to CBN. CBN is a sedative breakdown product of THC. I mix that with high CBD shake, and I try to aim for a 1:1 ratio of THC and CBN. and my edible has around 1:5 ratio of CBD to THC.
      It is a complex mixture of cannabinoids, not just pure THC.

do NOT keep taking higher and higher doses, at least that is my advice. but if you do happen to indulge, as i have done, by accident, there is no worries.

as you can see from the above, I have done a lot of reading about it, made my own theories, and used myself as a guinea pig.

the result on myself, is that my tinnitus has been slowly getting better, which makes me so so happy.

in addition to the above, i ALWAYS use a Bose QC15 when I'm outside of the house.

while you can see, I am a total tinnitus cripple, by modifying my life, I manage to do what i want, which is to keep my job.

i don't really believe what other people say: just keep living your life as normal. I am a sick person. i can't keep living my life as normal. If I had a stroke, or something, don't tell me to keep walking as if nothing happened. In my case, I have damage to some neurons, and living normal life for me is out of the question.

Man finds herbs in his own garden, to heal himself.

at least i can report positive findings: doing what i do, lets me keep my job, and support my family. my tinnitus is getting less, even though 3 years ago it was so bad, i thought i was going to be dead, very soon. I can focus at work, study research papers, and be quite sharp mentally.

If I had a job that was noisy, like working in a plant, driving a truck, doing construction, etc., I would be dead by now. Fortunately, I work in an office, and the background sound level is around 50db. Even at work, I always use a Sennheiser noise cancelling headset, and i always play an MP3 with Restful Rain, set very quiet, just less than the level of my tinnitus.

so i do a combined TRT, which is proven, combined with avoidance of loud noise (I never even mow my grass), which is logical but not proven, combined with SMALL amounts of SELECTED cannabis, which is not proven, and combined with other meds like lyrica, which is also not proven, but as long as i can get a proper sleep, my tinnitus is less, and i can put in reasonable day at work. so the bottom line, is that i'm doing o.k. but please please do not go out and use 1g per day, which is supposed to be a typical medical cannabis dose, or even 5g per day, which you can get by medical prescription, unless, you try small amounts, and see what the effect is on you.

• Like Like x 1
    21. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please read linearb post in the above thread, which made me check the internet, to see what he/she was referring to. It is very important research, and so I went into google, and all kinds of new stuff is showing up, that has just been published.

So I read about the DCN - there is new research, very new research about cannabinoids, CB1 CB2 and rat tinnitus model, and the researchers concluded that the cannabis (THC/CBN) increased the rat tinnitus. This explains why many people report that cannabis increases tinnitus. So... I'm scaling way back. I used to take 4.5g of edible, i cut that to 2g of edible, which still has a sedative effect, but it does not increase tinnitus, for me, anyway. As for smoking it, I have gone the route to oxidize a 1/8 ounce, to convert all the THC to CBN, and see what happens using that method. i also note, that cannabis has other terpenes, which are shared with lavender and rosemary, so i ordered some lavender and rosemary in order to mix it with my oxidized cannabis, to provide some sedative terpenes. so the next time i use my vaporizer, i'll add some lavender and rosemary into it, to see if that modifies the tinnitus reaction. CBN is the strongest cannabinoid for promoting sleep, but has a weak affinity for CB1 receptor. probably why my edibles work so well for me, because i intentionally heat the cannabis, prior to turning it into edible. So I'm going to turn myself (once again) into a lab rat, and vape some CBN with lavender and rosemary, and see what happens. mainly, i am aiming to PREVENT the increase tinnitus, that occurs due to strong interaction of THC with the CB1 receptor.
      Once again, my experience is that even though the tinnitus will go crazy due to THC CB1 binding, this craziness at least in my brain, later translates into actually LESS tinnitus, after the whole thing wears off. And (once again) I make sure to keep my dose tiny enough, so that the whole thing wears off quick. Because as mentioned before, I have spiked it for 2 weeks which made me really depressed, but eventually, everything came back to normal.

22. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    23. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my enthusiasm for cannabis is starting to diminish. it is not what i had hoped. 11 yrs ago, it worked well for me, in getting me to sleep etc., but now i am finding the effects on my DCN is not good. i frequently find it spikes my tinnitus, and makes the inside of my head like an alarm clock. always, when it washes out, there is no long term effect, but short term i get super loud tinnitus, and not just because i am more aware of it, i just cut way back on my dose even further, and probably not even use vaporizer any more. i am not sure, back then, i was getting my cannabis from a different source, which i could control, but it now comes from a dispensary. i feel that if i had more control over the growing, i could do better experiment, but currently that is not possible. so i may abandon the whole thing, and get back to using conventional meds for sleep.

24. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Yea it a bummer. I used to smoke all the time, both recreational and medically. Now, it's all over. It spikes my tinnitus and I got the alarm clock in my head. Very disappointed.

25. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tried to smoke a joint yesterday after a 1 year break because it used to spike my T, but yesterday it actually seemed to lower my t and I felt very relaxed and was able to read a book in relative silence, a positive experience, maybe it has something to do that the last time I tried smoking I was still very stressed and in a bad shape about my tinnitus and today I have accepted it and am usually not too bothered by it ?

@linearb are you saying there is a risk to permanently worsen existing tinnitus through cannabis use ?

Because I still got quite alot of it here from an old batch I bought pre t days :)

Thanks

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My read on that paper is that cannabinoid receptors in the DCN are involved somehow in tinnitus development; I'm agnostic as to what that means. I have definitely consumed a decent amount of it since my acoustic trauma in 2010, and do not believe it has been harmful in a way that I'm aware of... but I do still have tinnitus ;)

• Like Like x 1
    27. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      interesting. this is the first i've heard of cannabinoid receptors being the issue. the DCN is definitely ground zero for (most) tinnitus, but i've only read about the K receptors being the issue (Dr. Tz's work). i am sure that the picture will be much more complicated than that, and many other factors might be involved. it wouldn't surprise me if cannabinoid receptors were part of the equation, i'll have to check out those papers.

i myself took almost a year and a half off from weed (stopped since onset), but have started smoking again in the last few months, with mixed (but mostly good) results. i think it depends on the person (i have somatic t / tmj issues, and the weed seems to relax the pain).

incidentally i was on a binge weed session (a good week of wake-and-bake) a few weeks before i got tinnitus. at the time i was smoking once every few months, which was actually an improvement compared to my earlier, more heavy and frequent use. my tinnitus came two weeks after that weed binge, and i always suspected that it might have been a factor. maybe it induced a brain state that was more susceptible for tinnitus? from my experience, and from what i have read, i would be surprised if weed had any major causative role in tinnitus development.

• Like Like x 1
    28. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I really have no idea -- I definitely smoked a lot of weed in the years leading up to T, but I know people who got T over the same timeframe with no weed, and I know a lot more people who smoked a ton of weed and don't have T.

It doesn't shock me that cannabinnoids play some part in the signal, given that smoking often seems to really amp mine up.

• Like Like x 1
    29. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      They definitely have some effect on the brain and may effect the t levels, but I doubt that it does so in a permanent fashion. I was wondering though if you could expand on this, rather strongly worded claim:

"Given that the current neurological model of tinnitus strongly implicates dysfunction in cannabinoid receptors in the DCN as being an integral part of the development of the disorder"

Where are you getting this current neurological model (does such a thing even exist in a coherent form at this time)? That paper you linked did not make this claim, and the dozen other papers I read regarding tinnitus and CB receptors did not either. Could you link to some papers? (Not trying to be confrontational, I am genuinely curious about this since I started smoking again).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      there have only been a couple studies, but I think a reasonable takeaway from this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4364172/ is that consumption of cannabis following acoustic trauma or other otoxicity ups the odds of neurotoxicity.

On the other hand, it might imply that consumption of CB antagonists (like CBD) following a trauma would have a protective effect. I wish the military or somebody else who is in the business of legally giving people severe hearing damage on a large scale would do a controlled study on that...

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1