Marijuana / Cannabis and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Grant1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Grace, I had the exact same thing happen to me 40 yrs ago. I am still afraid to try it...

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i guess it just has a different effect on some people increasing there anxiety and panic :-0 i always thought pot would feel like being on a
      Benzo.. Relaxing and whatnot but hell no total opposite!!!!!

3. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Well from what has been posted here I don't think we are missing anything. Then again it very well may be the state of mind you are in when you take a few hits. Either way I am not curious enough to find out:dohanimation:

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah agree with you on that one :-/ the more i stay away from that the better!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      I'm 35 years old and have had tinnitus my entire life. It's always been an annoyance, but since it's all I've known, I've gotten used to it and it hasn't been a huge bother to me....until now.

I'm far from a regular smoker. However, I recently got a vaporizer and have indulged way more than usual the last 3 weeks because of my new toy. After using the vaporizor a bit over the last week, and a whole lot last weekend, my tinnitus got noticeably worse (it didn't happen until last weekend, despite using the vaporizer for the last 3 weeks). I haven't used the vaporizer since Sunday, but the worsening of my tinnitus has remained since then. It hasn't gotten worse since Sunday, but it hasn't returned to my "normal" T. I'd mostly describe the worsening as the T being at a higher pitch than usual, and in addition, the tone in my right ear has been pulsating somewhat often, which doesn't usually happen to me. Having any type of T spike for me is extremely rare, and this change in my T is completely new and frustrating to me.

For those of you who have said that smoking caused a spike in your T, for how long are we talking? I've laid off of the vaporizer for 4 days now, but the negative effects on my T remain. I'm hoping that this spike is temporary, but not knowing whether my T will "return to normal" has been wearing on me. Can factors other than damage from loud noises really permanently worsen already existing T, or do I just have to give this some time?

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      My T is weird, smoking does nothing to mine.. And although i would love to quit.. Im thinkin if i did that ofcorse that would be when my T spikes..but who knows. They said smoking and quitting nicotine can cause a spike so its 50/50... Should not be permanent though.. Give it some timeee

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Whenenever I smoke from my vape my T becomes a clear, concise tone. My hearing remains unaffected. Any other time, I either don't notice it (unless I'm stressing over it) or it sounds like a light background buzz/hiss.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      Thank you. I definitely overdid it the last few weeks. I'm going to cut it down and limit it to weekends moving forward, and hope that my T goes back to normal soon.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Becoming a "clear, concise tone" is a good way to describe what happens to me too. It's definitely more noticeable while vaping, but as I said in my original post, it's been lingering the past 5 days. Have you ever had lingering effects persist after vaping, and if so, for how long?

9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I've notice Mary-j can irritate my T. I wouldn't bug out though. I'd just chill with it for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey guys ive been gone for like a week and i was curious about marijuana and the effect it would have on my T...... Andddd woahhhh it made my T go from a 1 to 6! It got soo loud.. But i knew when i woke up the next day itd go back down and it did but just saying to anyone else curious. Not sure if it has different effects on everyone but i will never touch that stuff again lol. I guess cause it enhances everything so it ehanced my T and my anxiety resulting in a panic attack but all better now!!!

11. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Some people get anxious on weed and you can zone in on your t. Some get really relaxed and their perception diminishes. At least now you know lol I get really anxious when I smoke. Couldn't imagine what it would be like high.

12. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Has anyone here us Marijuana to ease anxiety?

13. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

If you want to ease anxiety, that will be the worst thing you can do. Your anxiety will fly through the roof, and you will end up having a panic attack. I used to smoke until I got Tinnitus and I had to quit because I started feeling suicidal. Now I drink and it seems to completely calm me down.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    14. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      That's what happened to me too....

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yeah, me too. If you search the board, you will see we have talked about this before. For me and many others here, MJ and anxiety do not mix.

16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Stay busy if you do it...don't sit and just chill. Play games, socialize etc. engage yourself in something. Otherwise you will zone in on the T really quickly.

17. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      But yeah, maybe not a good idea if you are in a panic state to light up. I'm sure like the others stated, your anxiety will go sky high.

18. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I smoked weed everyday for 10 years. It doesn't help anxiety. Quite the opposite. If you're anxious it will make you more anxious. And probably paranoid too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Though common, marijuana doesn't automatically lead to an increase in anxiety. Some people find that it'll spike their anxiety, while others find that it provides them great relief.

A lot of it comes down to personality, if you're someone who tends to over think or internalize issues that trouble you, then you may find that things become a bit too much when you're high. This is a common problem for many of us dealing with tinnitus.

However, there are other significant factors that come into play that affect an individual's experience on cannabis. These are typically the type of cannabis (Indica vs. Sativa), the strength and ratio of THC to CBD content, method of consumption and the environment you're in while high (eg. being alone vs. being with friends). If you're genuinely interested, I'd suggest looking up this stuff up and having a read about it before trying cannabis for yourself.

Personally, I've used it for years and thoroughly enjoy it. Some days it'll make me more anxious, other days I'm super relaxed. Like I mentioned though, there are factors that come into play that affect my experience. A good example is whether I'm alone or with my friends. I tend to become more anxious when using cannabis alone whereas with friends I'm always way too distracted to experience any sort of anxiety.

Quick note in regards to tinnitus and cannabis: it will most probably cause a temporary increase in the perception of your tinnitus volume. I don't know what does it, but when your high, most people will get a spike - this is always temporary though. In my experience, I'll vaporize some cannabis and then my tinnitus will creep up in volume for 10-20 minutes and then return to baseline of the rest of the session. This sort of thing can catch people off guard and really put them in a bad place if they aren't prepared for it.

Anyway, I could go on and on but the basic point I'm trying to make is that everyone is different. The best way to approach this would be to do as much research as you can about it, and then try it out for yourself to see how it suits you.

Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Hell no! Never do marijuana. Kimbo Slice is right, marijuana can give you a lot of anxiety. Plus, (from what I've seen) a year and a half of smoking it makes you extremely paranoid and it WILL screw your head up. If you want to ease anxiety, try alcohol, not drugs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      For those that find marijuana calming, does the increased risk of cancer from smoking marijuana concern you? ;)

22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Spikes your T immediately and then you have a panic attack, dont do it.

23. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Tried it a few times--it always made me anxious and I always felt kind of weird. I wouldn't think of doing it now. That's just me though. I sometimes have a strange reaction to drugs--even OTC drugs such as Benadryl. That antihistamine makes me very hyper while most people fall asleep. :)

24. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks I think I will stay oft the marijuana:)

• Like Like x 1
    25. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      There have been a few studies that have shown that cannabis smoking does not lead to an increased risk of cancer, here's a couple I could quickly find.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v27/n3/abs/1210641a.html

http://blog.norml.org/2014/06/23/st...ssociated-with-increased-risk-of-lung-cancer/

http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan...3fb&mKey=9b2d28e7-24a0-466f-a3c9-07c21f6e9bc9

Even in light of these studies though, you can always choose to vaporize instead, just to be safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer_(inhalation_device)

I prefer this method.
      ---

Anyway, understand everyone is not for weed, but advising someone to use alcohol instead isn't exactly sound advice in any way. There are many more effective strategies to deal with anxiety that don't involve either substance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I enjoy it A LOT! Lifts my mood and makes me focus on other things besides T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think T can destroy your life. If you need to drink, drink. If you need to take meds, take em...if you need to smoke week...smoke it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. wagonwheel
      Brooding

wagonwheel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      When I gave up weed I realised how much anxiety it was causing-paranoia/panic attacks etc. Stay away from it is my advice

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Yeah, because alcohol and weed can't destroy your life?

This is just bad and dangerous advice. If you need drugs to control the anxiety, use them under a doctor's supervision. Do not smoke a bunch of weed or drink a bunch of booze to get wasted.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    30. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I didn't say anything about getting wasted (please DO NOT twist my words!!) Not sure where you are getting this? The meds the doctor prescribes you, have FAR more proven side effects than drinking and smoking responsibly. Sorry I think you are the one with the dangerous advise Pef. Be careful people with pill pushing doctors and people like Pef recommending "doctor drugs under doctors supervision" as THE ROUTE to take. Doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US. Dangerous, yeah very very dangerous. Don't be fooled that just because a doctor hands you a pill they are not dangerous. I am here because of these so called doctor supervised meds (this is how I got my tinnitus) I guess Pef because you assume that anyone that consumes alcohol and Weed are getting wasted, I would make the same assumption that anyone with meds from a doctor would do just that??Wake up!! let's help each other out here and not be ignorant, arrogant and make assumptions.

Do what works for you and be safe people!!There is more than the one route than that of a doctor gives... Think outside the box and explore all options!! Don't let closed minded people and big pharma dictate what's right for you personally. Like I say look at All options...if the meds from your doctor work, great, if weed helps, great, if a glass of red works, perfect!! Do what works for you!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1