Maybe Exposure to Noise Isn't the Problem...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I've met many tinnitus sufferers wearing hearing protection. To protect against exposure to noise and consecutive deterioration of the tinnitus. Extreme noise protection often leads to social isolation and consequently to depression. I have never met anyone who has become "healthy" by wearing airport hearing protection. But some have developed severe hyperacusis or phonophobia after tinnitus disease. And without benzodiazepines, they can't leave the house.
      I don't believe that this fear of noise is useful for tinnitus healing.
      I know that this forum post will be controversially discussed.
      Regards,
      Tinniger

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Hearing protection is only appropriate in places where noise is truly above the db level that is considered damaging.
      There are some very accurate db measuring apps and if you find yourself in a place where the levels exceed 90 db you probably should be plugging, mowing the lawn, using power tools, etc.. All other places, no, in my opinion.

3. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      can-of-worms.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      When it is appropriate, then protection of the ears are a must. Going overboard is never going to be healthy and it can lead to isolation. In all honesty, at times I cannot blame someone, that just got tinnitus to always protect their ears. It is a scary time for them and they still haven't adjusted. In the long run, one needs to protect their ears when it is suitable and not just walk out their house and have ear protection all day :)

By doing this we are training our mind to be scared, of any noise and not all sounds are harmful to our ears.

These are some of the posts, that other members have found helpful.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/always-stand-your-ground.22972/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/you-are-a-champion.23000/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-power-of-accepting.25551/#post-294687

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Quite the opposite
      I wear hearing protection so I go out anywhere and not worry about loud noise exposure - I live in a noisy city

Besides you fail to mention that this type of hyperacusis is never permanent / it lasts only a few minutes after hearing protection is removed so there is no worry to cause irreversible changes unlike noise damage

Never too benzo either since my T is noise induced I don't see the point in doing this