Melatonin Might Be Beneficial, Especially in Preventing Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, May 18, 2012.

?

Do you take melatonin?

1. Yes, daily

2. Yes, every now and then

3. No, and I'm not planning to

4. No, but I'm thinking about starting

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I took it for about 6 weeks back in the early days of my T, didn't really notice a change in my T but I felt I slept better

• Like Like x 1
    2. aka

aka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I started taking melatonin (for sleep - both because I've always had some insomnia, and also because the T was making that worse) about a month and a half ago. I was taking 5mg at night (because that was the dosage I found in the drugstore). Last couple weeks or so have been taking a product that mixes 3mg melatonin with valerian. Whether that's the cause or not, my T has been noticeably better, especially the last couple weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      What exactly is this mixture? Is there a name for it? Or do you mix two different things together? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Miss Lavender,

I'm taking a combination pill that contains melatonin and valerian root, plus vitamins, etc. It is called "Sweet Slumber", and I've been ordering it online. It's all natural, and works pretty well as a sleep aid. My ringing is calmer, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the Sweet Slumber tablets.

Here is a link to information on these tablets:
      http://www.schiffsweetslumber.com/

There are other brands out there, too, that contain both melatonin and valerian, but these work well for me.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      There are many sleep formula supplements available that contain both melatonin & valerian.

Many of these contain a collection of herbs; read the supplement facts for more.

Jarrow Formulas, Sleep Optimizer, 60 Capsules

Natural Balance, Herbal Slumber, Melatonin and Valerian Formula, 60 Capsules

Natrol, Sleep 'n Restore, 20 Tablets

Naturade, SlumberAid, 60 Tablets

...and other products: Sleep Formulas...

• Like Like x 2
    6. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Does melatonin cause headaches the next day. I've taken it thrice now and 2 times I've had headaches the next day. Any one else had this.

7. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      I've been taking 1.5 mg. Do you think that's too much

8. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

It makes me very drowsy.

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dhaval,

According to what I've read about melatonin, you might be taking too much. Any that your body does not absorb can result in a "melatonin hangover" the next morning, that may include a headache.

I think you should try cutting back on the dosage. Some people do well on as little as 0.3 mg. You could start by cutting back to 1 mg., and try experimenting with the dosage.

10. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Guys be careful with too much melatonin. It can increase estrogen production. I took it for about 2 months and noticed I was getting little stubbles over my body and I am pretty much hairless. Soon as I stopped the melatonin, they went away.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yikes! That is rather scary, Erik. My chiro told me the same thing, so I have just recently gotten off the melatonin/valerian combination I was taking.

Thanks for the caution!

12. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Thanks@erik for the caution. I am going to try using it only intermittently. I'd rather not be dependent on them. Thanks for the headsup

13. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep, learned a lot thanks, going to do lowest dose possible and use on the nights I really need it.

14. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Well after more than a year I'm planning to try Melatonin, I know there are a lot here who used Melatonin, can you share your experience with this? I read that it's not supposed to be taken long term?

15. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      i use it for those nights when my body is tired but my mind is awake, other than that i sleep fine without it .. but i do drink bed time camomile and light candles to make me relax and i am out within 10 mins ,,,,, but i do blow out candles first lol.......

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      The pharmacist told me all Melatonin are sublingual (under the tongue)? I bought the 3 mg and I'm planning to take half for now...wish me luck...I'll give an update tomorrow.

17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Petloy You're in Canada so perhaps melatonin is only sold this way. I take mine as a tablet, and it is 3 mg time released. I believe the time release is also important, or else you might wake up when its effects wear off. But that might just be me. Others on the board have had good luck with regular melatonin (not time released) and some have taken doses as low as .5 mg and have gotten good results. The only way you'll know is through trial and error. When your tinnitus settles back down--and I still believe it will--you probably won't need melatonin since you didn't need it prior to your spike. And if melatonin does not work, some people have good luck with valerian. It's an herb, unlike melatonin which is a hormone.

Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      I take two Alterils most nights. In about an hour, I'm pleasantly drowsy and can usually drop off to sleep pretty easily (although sometimes I do need my sound machine on as well). **Generally** I have noticed a quieting of the T after taking these... doesn't happen every night (Mondays are my noisiest days - my first day back at work after a laid-back weekend spent mostly at home) but often enough that it's stood out to me. I have not found them to be physically habituating, though there is a mental dependency that can form on them ("if I don't take 'em will I be able to sleep?" and spend so much time focusing on it so that naturally you don't fall asleep). I haven't tried any other melatonin brands, but have been thinking of experimenting. I have not noticed any headaches due to these pills (though I DO get cluster headaches if I drink a glass of wine too late at night). These dang pills have been a godsend... much better than the "official" sleeping pills I was prescribed when I first got the T....

19. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Wouldn't that indicate increase of testosterone, not esterogen?

20. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I was wrong on that. Melatonin plays a part with estrogen and testosterone but I don't think that was the cause of my hair growth which I think was due to some other factor in the melatonin. There was some limited research that showed it growed hair in some people. I can attest to that though really small stubble like hair all over my upper chest and back. When I stopped the melatonin, it went away.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I use melatonin on and off, and it is helpful. Just be careful: It's pretty powerful stuff for a supplement, so don't think you can pop unlimited amounts with no side effects. My psychiatrist considers melatonin on the borderline of being a drug (heck, many of the prescription drugs we take start with potent natural plants or herbs, like yohimbe) and may end up being regulated one of these days.

Anyway: About 1.5 mg is a good dose, but you can try less. I was told to never take more than 3 mg. Yes, melatonin sometimes gives me a headache. And also, you can wake up pretty groggy if you take too much of it.

22. makoda

makoda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well I am not one to follow lots of research on things because I have found many things that I just don't agree with. Anyway as far as melatonin is concerned I take a 3mg pill every night before bed. Have done for 8 months now. As far as sleeping it helps a little however sometimes I sleep better without it. But if I don't take it my tinnitus is worse the next day. So I just take one every night. 2 pills is too much. A little less than 1 pill might be better but its working for now so I just keep taking one.

23. Steelbanks
      Happy

Steelbanks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I take melatonin in the natural form of cherry tart skin capsules! Sounds exotic! I take one before bed. In my eyes it doesn't help me get to sleep, but it's turned me from a light sleeper, woken at the slightest noise, to a deep sleeper. I've been taking it for about 4 mths and hardly had a bad sleep in that time. As for improving my T - I've been using masking devices at the same time - I have no doubt the masking devices have worked. I think the melatonin has only helped my sleep. Having said that - good sleep DEFINITELY helped calm your tinnitus.
      By the way - I've zero grogginess or headaches etc - so no side effects...

24. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
    25. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I take 5mg of melatonin now and was thinking of adding 5-HTP to it or get off off Melatonin and just do the 5-HTP. Has anybody taken 5HTP for sleep and if so how did you make out?

26. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Carlos1:

I believe @yonkapin is a fan of 5HTP. Not sure if he takes it for sleep, however. Perhaps he can chime in here.

-Golly

27. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Bit late to this thread, sorry!

I've used 5htp for years and I can tell you it definitely does work when it comes to mood regulation - it's great stuff for the brain. I didn't use it exclusively for sleep though so I can't really chime in there, but I've read a bunch of times that 5htp and more specifically l-tryptophan (precursor to 5htp) promote healthy sleep, amongst a gang of other benefits. There's plenty of talk about it online, so you'll be able to sort it out pretty easily!

I've taken melatonin and 5htp together and everything was all good, so experiment a little bit and see how you go I guess, good luck!

28. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I took 200mg of 5htp last night, and slept right through. Yay!

29. The_Chum_12
      Inspired

The_Chum_12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      A local ENT suggested taking Melatonin. I took a time-released 3mg dose for about 2 weeks, and was sleeping relatively well until I started having disturbingly vivid dreams for two consecutive nights. The ENT warned me about this, and suggested cutting the pills and half to see how it goes. I haven't mustered up the courage to try it again, but I might soon especially if I'm only getting good sleep every three days like I have been and like I was in the beginning of my T.

I'm still not exactly sure if it was the Melatonin that caused the dreams or mixing 1mg of lorazapam (anxiety) and 50 mg of Elavil (anti-dep).

The ENT said to try to take it every night for 30 days so the good sleep will reduce the ringing. There has been a recent increase in my T volume, so I might get back on the Melatonin horse.

30. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      If I take melatonin (1,5-3mg) I tend to wake up around middle of the night and I can't get good sleep after that anymore. I have tried time-lapse melatonin (Circadin) as well, but it makes me feel tired the next day. I have now been taking L-tryptofan about a week and it seems to work nicely. It converts to HTP-5 and then to melatonin.