Melatonin Might Be Beneficial, Especially in Preventing Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, May 18, 2012.

?

Do you take melatonin?

1. Yes, daily

2. Yes, every now and then

3. No, and I'm not planning to

4. No, but I'm thinking about starting

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      • Like Like x 1
    3. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I'm going to try this as soon as I'm off the prednisolone.

4. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      On Friday last week I took 10mg of Melatonin before bed. I woke at some point in the night, or so I thought as it was still dark. Thinking it was still early in the night I took another 10mg.

Transpires it was closer to getting up than I thought. That day I noted my tinnitus was very quiet.

So I did the same for the next 4 days, with the same result. Anyone who knows me knows my tinnitus is raging with several noises at the same time. Only side effect I've noted is in the morning I have quite loose bowel movements and pains in my stomach. Last night I skipped the tablet but took one when I woke up. My tinnitus is back but not as bad. I plan to resume tonight and see how tomorrow is.

Have I discovered my own temporary fix? Anyone with similar experience? Any warnings?

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      No melatonin for me. I have never had so awful nightmares. I am rather awake.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      No warnings to Melatonin, just that maybe 10mg is way too much to take for a month and if you have high blood pressure or diabetes, then you're advised to not take it. I would lower your dosage and maybe then you can take it for a month and then cycle off, so you don't get dependent on it.

7. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's not a question of being dependent as such @GSC, it's more about the relief it's brought me. I've read an adult safe dose can be as high as 30mg.

8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Well, let's put it this way, if melatonin is really a protection from further noise induced damage then you, my friend, are heavily protected. LOL. Just make sure you monitor your blood pressure either way... just to be on the safe side.

9. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well my plan seems to be failing with my tinnitus starting to rage today.

Wonder if a few days off the Melatonin would help?

10. Rohov Dmytro
      Batty

Rohov Dmytro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can tinnitus start from melatonin? Mine started with some bad nights of sleep and taking melatonin.

Two months after tinnitus I've taken one more pill and it got (maybe) worse during night.

Thoughts?

11. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      No. Melatonin is something you already have in your body.

12. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      After I was taken off a course of prednisolone at the onset of my tinnitus I was desperate to find something to replace it. Melatonin really helped me with sleep. It does give you very weird dreams but much better than having no sleep. Not using it now.

13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Melatonin is what we already have in our body but I can't sleep because the tinnitus is so LOUD AND HIGH PITCHED.

14. NAUTICA

NAUTICA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01 15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I was told by an ENT that taking Melatonin supplements might make the ringing worse. Is this true?

15. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Wasn't the case for me. If anything, it helps me sleep and that makes the T a little better sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I don't think it really works on protecting your hearing even from minor events.

I was given a steroid skin cream that has Gentamicin in it (1 mg per 1 g).
      I used 5 mg of Melatonin 1 hour before application in the morning and applied a lit bit of the cream on affected skin.
      By the evening I started noticing that tinnitus started getting through some of the environmental noises and music.
      I took another 5 mg of Melatonin in the evening and a bit later reapplied skin cream.

In the morning I noticed another high frequency tone in left ear that pierces through everything while not being extremely loud (meaning it's audible because of hearing loss) and pain hyperacusis to some sound like water from the faucet reappeared.

This is horrible. I used all kinds of ototoxic medications and antibiotics before and lived tinnitus free live.

Don't tell me this is "spike because of stress". I didn't have any stress and I already had horrible ototoxic reaction to antibiotic in February so I know precisely how it feels.

17. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I have a bottle with Melatonin 3 mg tablets. i tried this 2x times in 3 months for 2 days in row. I take one pill before going to bed. Yes, I can sleep better and have a deeper sleep (at least it feels like it). But both times after the second night it feels like I have a little spike. Maybe it's imagination. I dunno. And I don't know if i should take them more on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey Markku

I know I'm resurrecting very old thread, but I could really do with something to aid sleep. Do you still use melatonin? Are there any side effects to take into consideration? Do you know of other people that have consistently taken the drug with or without success?
      I have been trying CBD with no benefits. (I wasn't expecting much either,but at least I can cross that off my list)

Thanks!

19. Kotve
      Dumb

Kotve Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck / Jaw
      My 2 cents.. i have been taking melatonin on and off (since 2015) because i have a retarded circadian cycle.. For me it helps but i get better effects from melatonin that is in granular form (used to take 2mg)
      Now i have a 3mg that i cut in 2 because half is more than enough. With 3mg I feel more sleepy in morning.
      It actually helped me with my T (because I slept good)

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      On the basis of this paper:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30892162/

I am going to give melatonin a try. Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall; my wife is a physician so she has access. But according to the article, several studies have shown melatonin to lower the perception of tinnitus vs. the placebo group.

I figure the downside is low and I can just discontinue it if I see no improvement. After a month, I'll hopefully remember to update this post with my experience.

• Like Like x 3
    21. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I used to take Melatonin and it helped me to sleep. But like others, the vivid nightmares were awful. Wasn't worth it. We may have trace amount of this in our brains already, but the supplement industry is totally unregulated as a drug. Only the FDA monitors it as food. So one has no idea of the actual potency or how it is sourced other than reading the label on the bottle, and that's not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      In my opinion/personal experience, less is more when it comes to Melatonin.

I've used liquid Melatonin at a very small dose (0.25-0.5 mg) for a long time now.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      I take 5 mg of Melatonin as I feel the need, like if I have a spike. I do not take it every night. I do not experience side effects and I sleep good. It seems to settle my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1