Men/Women Who Take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen Risk Going DEAF and All It Takes Is Just 2 Pills a Week

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Women who take paracetamol and ibuprofen risk going DEAF - and all it takes is just 2 pills a week, study finds
      • Taking two pills a week for more than six years has been linked with hearing loss
      • The drugs are thought to cut blood supply to the inner ear and expose it to noise
      • And painkillers are responsible for 1 in 20 women suffering from partial deafness
      • The latest findings back up similar research in men, according to experts

Women who take paracetamol or ibuprofen just twice a week could be damaging their hearing permanently.

Taking two painkillers a week for more than six years has been linked with significant hearing loss, with the drugs thought to cut blood supply to the inner ear and expose it to noise damage.

As many as one in 20 women suffering partial deafness could blame their painkiller use, a study has found.

0578-4033762-Women_who_take_paracetamols_or_ibuprofen_just_twice_a_week_could-a-25_1481740390480.jpg

Women who take paracetamols or ibuprofen just twice a week could be damaging their hearing permanently, scientists claim

The findings back up similar research in men, suggesting middle-aged women, who commonly take paracetamol and ibuprofen for headaches and back pain, should consider cutting down.

Senior author Dr Gary Curhan, from Brigham and Women's Hospital in the US, said: 'Hearing loss is extremely common and can have a profound impact on quality of life.

'Finding modifiable risk factors could help us identify ways to lower risk before hearing loss begins and slow progression in those with hearing loss.'

Almost one in 12 women take paracetamol on two days of every week, the US study found, usually to ward off routine aches and pains. This could be only two pills over the two days, or a greater dose.

But paracetamol, ibuprofen and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs taken this often for more than six years raise the risk of developing hearing loss by nine per cent.

This was found by examining 55,850 women between the age of 44 and 69 – almost half of whom reported a hearing problem.

Around one in six people in the UK have hearing problems, which can leave people feeling cut off and lonely and has been found to speed up memory loss and dementia.

3B61E5F900000578-4033762-image-a-30_1481739745637.jpg

As many as one in 20 women suffering partial deafness could blame their painkiller use, the new study has found

The study suggests this could be down to paracetamols, which most people think little of swallowing routinely but evidence shows can reduce the blood supply to the cochlea, or inner ear.

Paracetamol is also believed to deplete antioxidants within the ear, making the cochlea more vulnerable to noise-induced damage. Painkillers damage the tiny hairs within the ear which help us hear and have been linked in younger and older women with a higher risk of hearing loss.

BUT IBUPROFEN MAY BE HELPFUL...
      Regular doses of ibuprofen may lower smokers' risk of lung cancer, research last week revealed.

It is known the painkiller, a non-steroidal drug, eases inflammation in the body.

But researchers at Ohio State University found clear evidence that - taken in small doses at regular intervals - it can dispel much of the inflammation that leads to tumors in the lungs.

It is one of the first studies to have examined specific types of anti-inflammatory medication, and how they affect smokers' cancer risk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...t-2-pills-week-study-finds.html#ixzz4TB3Ng3FV

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Don't know what to make of these studies if I'm honest,my mother has arthritis and has been on Paracetomol,Difene and Aspirin for every single day for over 20 years now and she still has perfect hearing.

She's also on an anti depressant and Valium and still it hasn't affected her hearing,guess it all comes down to the individual.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Strangely enough many have reported that paracetamol has helped with tinnitus. Germans especially for some reason.

4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Germans?Why Germans lol.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The same can be said for people who smoke for their entire lives, but live long lives. Maybe she's lucky, but personally if you have tinnitus, it's more of a risk. Plus turmeric is good for headaches and is anti-inflammatory, without causing hearing loss. Also has many other health benefits.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      But if you do take Turmeric it's best to know this-

The issue with with turmeric, it turns out, is that it has very low bio-availability when its eaten by itself. That means your body has a hard time absorbing it and all its wonderful health benefits.

But there are two things that will help your body absorb turmeric. One is fat and the other is black pepper. That is the reason that turmeric is best stirred into warm milk, to help you absorb all those lovely benefits. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Quite a strange study. I've taken Panadol without any risk to Tinnitus, but don't touch ibuprofen.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I don't fear much in life. But I refuse to take pain killers like this.
      Unless i'm in life crushing pain, i'd rather just deal with it.
      I value my ears more.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      They seem to talk about it lots on their forums. Maybe they have a purer version of it lol

10. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Agree, thus I buy the California Gold product from iHerb which includes black pepper extract.

11. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      These studies usually make no conclusive claims.I'm looking at a possible side-effect list IMO.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      ^_^. I normally have it as golden milk (Turmeric+milk) before bed time and it does wonders.