Middle Ear Infection... Spike in Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ecip, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Well... I've dealt successfully with my tinnitus since getting it about 2.5 years ago. Come yesterday. Suddenly, after supper, I feel a little pressure in my left ear. Kinda like when descending a mountain and you get this pressure feeling. Anyway, this pressure continued to rise, my hearing in that ear became muffled, and pain started to occur. This was at 21:00 on a Sunday night. So, off to the ER I go, because wtf is this?

Turns out my ear drum is red and inflamed, but no apparent fluid behind the ear drum. Says it's a middle ear infection. I can't remember ever having one.

My tinnitus in that left ear is really loud now. Probably 6 to 8/10. Of course, the big fear is now, will it stay this way or go back to normal as the infection clears... what a life.

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If it is an ear infection, then possibly have your ENT help you out with it. Ear infections can take time to heal. I saw my ent last week and he found LOTS of wax in both ears. It really didn't help with the tinnitus, but it helped a little with my hearing :)

Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey,
      Yea, the doc at the hospital didnt mention anything about ear wax. I've always been clean, in that sense.
      I dont really have access to an ENT like that. I've recently moved back to Switzerland from Canada. But I do have an appointment with the family doctor on Friday, so she can have another look then, I suppose.
      I hope this thing doesnt take too long to clear. It's already better today then it was last night. The ringing has decreased a little bit, the pressure feeling has decreased probably about 50%, and the muffled hearing has improved. I do have a slight fever now, though, surely indicative that I do have some sort of infection in there...

The hospital gave me diclofanac to help with the inflamation and pain, and xylometazoline hydrochloride nasal spray to help with the eustachian tubes opening up and clearing the middle ear. She did say that the ear drum was reddish and slightly inflamed, but couldnt see any fluid. Here's to hoping.

I run equipment for work, at the moment, and do like to use earplugs when things get a bit noisy.. I don't know if I'm ok to use earplugs with a middle ear infection.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New morning.. Ear all muffled up again and ringing. I think the diclofenac through the day is making it better, and through the night it goes back to shit.

Gonna try going to work today. Not sure how that's gonna end.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ecip,
      let us know how your day went and try keep stress down also...
      love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @glynis

It actually went ok today. I dont notice the increased ringing as much when working outside and around and in the equipment. It kinda drowns it out. But I do notice the muffled hearing and ringing when I get back inside where things are quieter. I'll be seeing another doctor tomorrow evening. I wonder what my ear drum looks like now. Apparently, according to doctor google, a middle ear infection can take between 1 week to 2 months to fully heal. The fuck is that shit? lol

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ecip,
      Great to hear you went on well back at work with your tinnitus.
      Always best checking if a ear infection has gone.
      It can take a few weeks after for tinnitus to settle so don't worry...
      keep us posted how tomorrow goes.
      love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I certainly hope it will... doc says to check back in a couple weeks for him to have another look. I've read that it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the fluid to drain, etc. Daamn...

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well wouldn't you know it... Tuesday night during a week off, and suddenly I start feeling this tickle in my right ear... and then increasing pressure... and increasing pressure... and pain... and here I am, with a middle ear infection... in my right ear this time. What the fuck is going. I have never gotten these, ever. Needless to say, my vacation is ruined and I'll be going for a trip to the doctor tomorrow morning.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doctor confirms; severe middle ear infection in the right ear. Prescribed antibiotics.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1